VOGONS

First post, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm researching a Socket 754 build centered around some spare parts that I have. My Socket 754 processor is a Sonora core Sempron 2800+ (p/n SMS2800BOX3LB), which, in my experience, has performance comparable to the Athlon 2700+. I'd like this computer to be an early-WinXP or late-Win2k build, and I'm not likely to install any games older or newer than DX8.

I'm more or less ignorant of the hardware from the mid-2000s era, so I'd appreciate some advice about which motherboard to purchase and what video card and OS to use. My understanding is that I'll need to make a decision between AGP and PCI-E in this era. I have spare video cards of both types, a GF4 Ti4200 8xAGP, Radeon HD2xxx series AGP, and a Radeon HD4850 PCI-E. I think one of the first two listed (or something between them) would be the most appropriate for my spare CPU. Additionally, I'd like to have the option to use a SATA drive, as I have some spare SATA laptop drives I may use.

With regard to OS, is there any performance advantage going with Win2k over XP? Based on my memories of the Win2k to WinXP transition in late-2001 and early-2002, my feeling is that Win2k performed better on hardware of that era, but is that a relevant consideration for hardware from a few years later such as the system I'm looking at building?

Reply 1 of 4, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I highly doubt that there is any significant benefit with 2000 over XP for this platform,

as for chipsets you have a decent amount of options (Nvidia, Via, SiS, ULI, ATI...) and they all perform OK given the integrated memory controller, also I think all s754 MBs support Sata.
I'm partial to going with Nforce for k7/k8s mostly, but, I remember some people not totally happy with Nforce 3, and the first version was more limited than the VIA K8T800

Reply 2 of 4, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't buy a full system based on an inexpensive CPU that you happen to own. You can get a good S939 CPU cheap enough and have a better system.

For an XP build I'd sack the AMD idea and get a nice Core2duo rig, maybe on an E8400 or something.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 3 of 4, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
texterted wrote on 2020-01-12, 23:39:

Don't buy a full system based on an inexpensive CPU that you happen to own. You can get a good S939 CPU cheap enough and have a better system.

For an XP build I'd sack the AMD idea and get a nice Core2duo rig, maybe on an E8400 or something.

Understood. I already have a Windows XP system built on a Phenom II X4 with a Radeon 6850.

I had an Athlon XP 2700+ with Win XP on it from mid-2003 to early-2008. I remember the Sempron being very close in performance to the Athlon XP 2700+. The Sempron was in the laptop I had from 05 to 08. This is more nostalgia for me. Also, given the low TDP of the Sempron, it should be easier to live with than a Socket A build.

Reply 4 of 4, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, you can't have enough retro computers! Just do what feels good and enjoy it.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.