VOGONS

First post, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm in the process of building a 386 machine. I am waiting last on a video card from Russia.

In the meantime my new-old stock case has arrived. It was listed as a "Full AT Tower Server Computer Case" on eBay. Very large, roomy and nice.

I've been able to mount the (small) motherboard in the case, but there seems to be way no mount a regular AT power supply in here? I wonder if there is a missing back plate or did server class machines of the era use a different type of power supply? There is also a reset switch and a off/on switch on the case itself.

I've worked with AT machines in the past, but I can't remember any quite setup like this case power wise.

Any ideas? Thanks! Photos attached.

Attachments

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is a "standard" power supply, but it is the FULL AT standard. That case, in my opinion, is WAY too big for a 386 setup, unless you happen to have one of the very early 386 boards the size of a pizza box.

I'm very familiar with that case, exactly, as I have one for my dual pentium pro: Bitchin' dual p-pro setup

Personally i'd advise on a smaller case, otherwise I'd look on ebay for a large power supply. Here is a quality 400W unit! Its a bit overpriced, imho.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:18. Edited 1 time in total.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 4, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!

Indeed the small 386 board (UMC, 386-DX33 soldered on, BIOS chip labeled 1992) does a look tad bit ridiculous in such a large case. That said, given the total cost of the thing (shipping was more than the actual case), I think will opt for finding a reasonably priced full AT power supply.

Reply 4 of 4, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mount the power supply you have to some sheet metal and then mount that sheet to the case, paint as needed.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software