VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just now, on Twitter, I asked Roland US if they would consider building a new, inexpensive sound device with the look and feel of the MT-32; able to emulate it, but with more modern capabilities (such as USB, SPDIF, etc), as well as GM compatibility mode.

I'm hoping I get a response, but am I the only person who would be interested in such a device?
Obviously it would be as powerful as Roland's more expensive, modern equipment.
But I imagine a lot of folks would love to have an "MT-32" sitting on their desk, under their laptop or monitor (mine's currently under my monitor), but able to not only play MIDI files composed for it, such as old dos games, but also compatible with General MIDI. Even though I have this one sitting here, I would pay about the same (vintage MT-32s are currently going for between $150 and $300 on ebay) for this new device.

Maybe somebody here's already working on such a project using emulation; if so, please consider sticking it in an MT-32 looking case. Next to the Commodore CDTV, it's one of the sexiest pieces of electronics I've seen. But that's my taste.

Anyway, if there isn't a project going-on of which I'm unaware, please consider getting in contact with Roland to ask them for such a device (assuming it interests you, of course). Maybe if they hear from enough of us they'll consider such a product.

Wasn't sure this message belonged in old hardware or sound, so I apologize if I stuck it in the wrong place and ask the moderators to move it as appropriate.

Reply 1 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting idea, but hardly realistic. Even with the increasing popularity of retrogaming, it's very niche, and within that niche the people actually doing in on bare metal hardware (as opposed to just running RetroPi and DOSBox etc) is a niche - and then you also hit the subjective aesthetics: you love the way the MT-32 looks. I like mine too, but far prefer the looks of an SC-55. Some people would prefer the beige CM-32 to match their beige boxes, and that's just the Roland lineup...

So we're talking about a tiny and fragmented potential market. Then consider Roland's purpose: "Inspire the Enjoyment of Creativity" - it's target audience is creators of music, not consumers of (retro) audio. That was already an issue in the 1980s and 1990s and would be at least as much today.

But let's assume some retro-loving executive at Roland likes the idea and wants to try, you then hit the simple economics. Actually developing the board would be pretty trivial, after all, community efforts that do almost exactly what you describe already exist, and this is likely the sort of semi-official project an engineer tinkers on in his own time. Manufacture however would be less trivial. You'd need to tool up a production line. Costs there have dropped since the 1980s, but are still in the same ballpark - and a lot of the lower costs are related to higher volumes. Which this device most likely will not have. Unit cost is inversely proportional to volume, so at low volume, it's going to be prohibitively expensive to make. Assuming Roland is not willing to sell these at a loss, that means that it's also going to be prohibitively expensive to buy.

Does that mean it's impossible? Not necessarily. I don't see a large corporation doing it, but as a crowdfunding project, which pre-ensures demand, ordering the parts in the smallest possible runs from some Chinese factories, and assembling by hand, it could just work, and do so for an acceptable price. So long as Roland's lawyers don't come down on it like a ton of bricks...

So rather than ask Roland to do it all, which is highly unrealistic, instead look into doing it yourself and ask Roland for permission to make this one-off not-for-profit tribute to one of their iconic legacy devices.

Reply 2 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even if it happens it will probably be released at the market price of the MT-32 back then.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 5, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most of the Roland Boutique synthesizers run the same hardware and are 100% software driven on the inside, and they made a D-50 version (the "D-05.") They're neat little boxes.

I don't think the MT32 has quite the clout of the D-50, but it has its fans. They could probably do a Boutique MT-32 on that platform for next to nothing in development costs, but whether there'd be enough potential buyers to justify bringing it to market... who knows. I'd love to have one though.

Roland are generally not amenable to "fan recreations" and are quite litigeous. I wouldn't expect to get permission, ever. If someone wanted to roll their own they'd probably have to go the Munt route - essentially clean-room the software and never distribute the ROMs along with it.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 5, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hamby wrote on 2020-01-17, 09:27:

... inexpensive sound device with the look and feel of the MT-32...

Here... This is the key why such thing will never ever happen. Roland users are used to pay Roland prices for their items, and you are asking for an inexpensive product for an already niche market were almost anyone is already fine with things like Munt, even hardware interfaced with things like modded RPis. That never has been Roland way, and for sure it still isn't last time I checked their boutique page.

In any case is a general rule niche hardware items to come with niche higher prices for the manufacturer reasons other members already said to you, even in diy half assembled kit cases. Higher volume production at low cost with high demand is what really makes item prices get down, characteristics that niche items don't have. As soon as you realize it, the happier you will be.

Reply 5 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the Sound Canvas VA pricing is proof enough that a cheap MT-32 will never be made.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.