Topic actions

Reply 20 of 38, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-01-17, 18:53:

Unless you put a PODP5V-133 in.

But at that point you're better off with a common Socket 7 board. Which is also much easier on your wallet this days, compared to average PODP prices.

I think in exactly the same way, the P60 is to be used original without overdrive. It would completely lose its charm.

Reply 22 of 38, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

don't see why not, unless the card somehow requires a later PCI version, which supposedly can be an issue with SATA cards and such. be aware that the GUI will be rather slow on such a machine though so you might want to run win95 osr2 instead, where XUSBSUPP should do what NUSB does for 98se. still no usb mouse/kb support however.

Reply 23 of 38, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just build it, regardless what others say i`m sure you will enjoy it 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 24 of 38, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote on 2020-01-19, 12:32:

Just build it, regardless what others say i`m sure you will enjoy it 😀

i will do... tell ma about voodoo and this system (you have too), your experience. Because i not have a voodoo and find it is expensive, if it work bad...

Reply 25 of 38, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-01-18, 14:34:

Win98SE is wotking on a P60 with a pci usb card? Just for transferring files.

It will run, but ensure enough RAM. <32MB and you're going to have to be very patient. I decided against running Win98 or even Win95 on my P60 to keep it fast and snappy. Remember, this is a 1993 CPU - that's 6 years older than Win98SE. I found Win3.11 to be the sweet spot - which is unsurprising as that's a 1993 OS too.

As for the PCI USB card, forget Via and OPTi chipset cards, I'd expect a NEC chipset to work on a system like this, but not much else.

Tbh, I'd use an IDE-CF adapter to transfer files. Much easier, no old PCI vs USB hell, no Win98 vs USB hell - 'it just works'. Or use network, with FTP you can even share files with an XT.

Reply 28 of 38, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a Socket 4 Pentium 60 system (without the FDIV bug), and it satisfied me. The CPU had a passive heatsink, so the PC (Compaq Presario CDS 762 with a CF card instead of an HDD) was very quiet overall.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 29 of 38, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-01-19, 12:50:

i will do... tell ma about voodoo and this system (you have too), your experience. Because i not have a voodoo and find it is expensive, if it work bad...

Voodoo 1 is useless on a P60. Also, Voodoo 1 is useless without Win9x. You can definitely run Win95 on a P60, but it won't be a pleasant experience.

All in all, I would treat P60 as an easier alternative to DX4/5x86. No jumper hell (because there are only 2 CPUs to choose from), PS/2 support, EDO RAM support, built-in IDE and I/O. But it's still more of a 486-level system, meant for DOS/Win3.11.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 31 of 38, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote on 2020-01-19, 19:43:

Voodoo 1 is useless on a P60. Also, Voodoo 1 is useless without Win9x. You can definitely run Win95 on a P60, but it won't be a pleasant experience.

its not useless, it hardly depends on which games are played.

Tomb Raider, Archimedian Dynasty, GTA1 (800x600) and few other MS-DOS Titles will work plenty.

But a Rush can be a better option because of full hw triangle setup, which offloads the CPU.
Which is also downside of rush, because at some point the cpu is faster then triangle hw. (newer machines..)

Consider it more a Option, a 3Dfx is not a must in a Setup, neither it is in a 486.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 32 of 38, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-01-17, 17:18:

P60 in 1999 i think was a "little bit" slow for anything past 1996

I was still doing regular browsing of websites with an Am5x86-133 in 2003, including online banking. The internet was way different back then.

If the original posters goal is to build a system around the first Pentium, I think a socket 4 build is just fine, provided you use only Intel or SiS chipsets. You should be able to find a Batman's Revenge board for around $50 with some patience. For some versatility, you could [eventually] source a socket4 Pentium 133 overdrive. I personally use the P133 overdrive in my system along with a network card, SATA card, and Voodoo1.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 33 of 38, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want P60/66 system just get it. I wouldn't bother worrying about what everyone else thinks about them. As useful as any other cpu from the mid 90s. A lot of us were still using 486s in the late '90s.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2020-01-20, 05:35. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 34 of 38, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-01-18, 14:34:

Win98SE is wotking on a P60 with a pci usb card? Just for transferring files.

Some folk did weird things to suite their unquique requirements/circumstances.. It's not too hard to remove the GUI bloat from Win98.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 35 of 38, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-01-20, 05:31:

If you want P60/66 system just get it. I wouldn't bother worrying about what everyone else thinks about them. As useful as any other cpu from the mid 90s. A lot of us were still using 486s in the late '90s.

in fact I took it, I'm waiting for it to arrive, I took it before even opening the discussion. I just asked a few questions to talk about it, because there is very little about this class of cpu and I find that among enthusiasts the exchange of ideas and experiences is very nice.

Reply 36 of 38, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2020-01-19, 23:10:
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-01-17, 17:18:

P60 in 1999 i think was a "little bit" slow for anything past 1996

I was still doing regular browsing of websites with an Am5x86-133 in 2003, including online banking. The internet was way different back then.

If the original posters goal is to build a system around the first Pentium, I think a socket 4 build is just fine, provided you use only Intel or SiS chipsets. You should be able to find a Batman's Revenge board for around $50 with some patience. For some versatility, you could [eventually] source a socket4 Pentium 133 overdrive. I personally use the P133 overdrive in my system along with a network card, SATA card, and Voodoo1.

i think the one i found is UMC chipset system.

Reply 37 of 38, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which motherboard you ended up getting?

I found that vast majority of motherboards are either Intel made (Batman) or OEM (often Batman based). Other options are much less common.

Those 430LX boards based on reference design often have very little tuning potential (very few options in BIOS, soldered-in only 256kB cache). I also have ALi-based MB which in stock config is slower than Batman, but can be tuned to outperform it.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 38 of 38, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote on 2020-01-20, 11:14:

Which motherboard you ended up getting?

I found that vast majority of motherboards are either Intel made (Batman) or OEM (often Batman based). Other options are much less common.

Those 430LX boards based on reference design often have very little tuning potential (very few options in BIOS, soldered-in only 256kB cache). I also have ALi-based MB which in stock config is slower than Batman, but can be tuned to outperform it.

Unlike the computers that I assembled in the 90s, I am not just looking for performance. For me, retrocomputing also needs other features, in particular I like having OEM machines from brands that have meant something in computer history. Olivetti and IBM were the chosen ones, then in the end for a design question I chose IBM computers.

This preface to say only that I looked for an IBM computer with Pentium60, which is very very very if not extremely, difficult to find It took me 2 years to find one. It's called IBM 350 (but there was also the 330 with less expansion slots) P60. There is also the "Value" series but aesthetically I like it much less.