VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone has any information on old Philips PCs? Looking for information especially on 386 PCs even though information on other models might help with figuring this out. Most important things would be to know if the motherboard has standard connector and if the motherboard has some kind of integrated hard drive controller. Also knowing what kind of ram chips/modules they use would be helpful.

Reply 1 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Philips made quite a lot of (commercially generally unsuccessful) computers in the 1980s and 1990s. Part of the problem was lack of standardization - early ones weren't completely IBM PC compatible, later ones were, but not with the earlier ones. The P3100 series was best-known in NL as quite a few schools (including my secondary school) had them.

I'm not aware of any one single source of info on all those models, it could help if you could narrow it down a bit: what models have you seen? What are you after?

Reply 2 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the model is Philips P 3345 and it is being sold on Finnish online auction site and seems to be bit rough shape, so I am trying to find out what I could do with it so if it is worth me bidding on it. Only thing I found out about it online was that it is suppose to be 386.

Reply 3 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let's see...

https://books.google.nl/books?id=UDoEAAAAMBAJ … 20P3345&f=false
- i386SX-16
- P3345-004 no hdd
- P3345-044 40MB HDD
- P3345-104 100MB HDD
- 1MB RAM by default (nasty, means 4x 256kB SIMM)
- 1.44MB FDD
- i387 socket present

Might find more later, at work and have a call with a vendor now 😉

Reply 4 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems that it has one of those huge seagate drives, so I assume that would make it probably one with 40Mb. It doesn't have any I/O card and only video card, so that is why I asked if the ide interface would be on the motherboard or if it simply has I/O card removed. I asked about if power supply uses standard AT connectors so I would know if it can be replaced.

Based on 1Mb ram and if it is 386sx, I could probably consider it being more similar to 12Mhz 286 than anything else.

Reply 5 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found a pic of the inside of one:
Vintage-Philips-P3345-Computer-_57.jpg

Low-res, but FDD is definitely on motherboard, and it looks like that's a HDD cable under it also leading to motherboard.

Can't see RAM, if it's SIMM-based it would be easy to upgrade to 2.5MB by replacing two SIMMs with 1MB versions, or to 4MB by replacing them all. If not, could be 'fun' to upgrade. Highly unlikely a slow 386SX would be able to sensibly use more than that.

Edit:
Found official Philips datasheet for their PCs too. No 3345, but there is a 3348, and looking at the specs, the only difference seems to be 20MHz vs 16MHz. If so we know some more:
pag191.JPG&key=9398e332ee0e9377e01530f7d0f30df1f2bc42bb4c587657a736b2997c4c292c
So... if hypothesis is correct, it should be expandable to 8MB, which suggests something like 2x SIMM/SIPP plus 1MB exclusive on board or something like that.

Video is odd - it suggests this system has onboard video, but also that one slot is used up by a VGA card. Possibly it's CGA/MDA onboard with VGA expansion or something like that. In any case the 4 free slots + 1 VGA matches the pic.

Edit:
2 mode pics, including rear showing I/O onboard and PSU connector, which looks pretty AT:
Vintage-Philips-P3345-Computer-_1.jpg
Vintage-Philips-P3345-Computer-_1.jpg
No sign of that onboard video though, either the 3348 is a different board or - more likely - it's a mistake in the datasheet.

Reply 6 of 6, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote on 2020-01-21, 10:03:

asked about if power supply uses standard AT connectors so I would know if it can be replaced.

If it has the Delta Electronics PSU as shown in the previous post, then yes. That's a reliable PSU, haven't seen one go up in smoke yet.