VOGONS

First post, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

I need some help identifying the below motherboards, one is a socket 3(?) the second is a super socket 7, as far as I can tell...
These are seller pictures and have no other info on them... I've searched the database on stason.org, but with no luck. I guess these are some low-end mainboards...
Still, maybe someone has one of these boards and could help me out.
Thanks a lot!

IMG_1587m.jpg
Filename
IMG_1587m.jpg
File size
451.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_1589m.jpg
Filename
IMG_1589m.jpg
File size
449.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both are very late for their platform, so tiny and highly integrated. That actually makes them relatively stable as it was old tech by the time these appeared.

Can't identify the So3 board, but the So7 one is famous and unmistakable with that cache chip inside the socket 😜

It's a VTech/PCPartner VIB878DS, and probably wins the prize for most functionality ever squeezed into such a miniscule space. It supports any So7 CPU, up to the K6-3+ with a patched BIOS (see here. You can basically do everything on it you could also do on a much bigger MVP3 board, only limited by the cramped layout.

Reply 2 of 5, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-01-21, 20:56:

Can't identify the So3 board, but the So7 one is famous and unmistakable with that cache chip inside the socket 😜

I was looking for the cache chip for like 1-2 minutes on this photo, and I just couldn't find/see it! Pffff, I'm getting old... Unbeliveble...
Anyway, thanks a lot!

Reply 4 of 5, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-01-21, 20:56:

It's a VTech/PCPartner VIB878DS, and probably wins the prize for most functionality ever squeezed into such a miniscule space. It supports any So7 CPU, up to the K6-3+ with a patched BIOS (see here. You can basically do everything on it you could also do on a much bigger MVP3 board, only limited by the cramped layout.

I bought these boards, this one has a little issue with the keyboard connector(I suspect...), the main Enter key it's not working, also if I press the NumLock more than once, the system freezes. I hope I's only the connector...
Thanks again for your help!

Reply 5 of 5, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote on 2020-01-21, 22:29:

The 486 motherboard looks a lot like LS-486E rev C1 or C2 to me.

Indeed, it's the rev C2! After I've read your reply, I looked to my 486 motherboards and I also got the rev C1. Actually It's printed only rev C... I guess is C1....
Thanks for your help!