VOGONS

First post, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I never used one of these but a computer I recently obtained came with a damaged cable. After asking around what cable this was the answer was "centronics". Now just to be sure can someone verify I would be ordering the correct replacement cable?

Attached a screenshot of the current damaged cable. I *think* I need this?
https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/centronics-36p … kabel-1-8-meter

Attachments

• wang5.jpg
    Filename
    wang5.jpg
    File size
    112.8 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Current damaged cable
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, yes, it's centronics. However, "centronics" only refers to the plug itself (like DB9 or DB25, too) and doesn't say anything about how the wires are connected to each other.

The cable you linked to will fit, but there's no guarantee that the wiring is the same. It may even cause damage to the computer.

Reply 2 of 5, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-26, 20:44:

Well, yes, it's centronics. However, "centronics" only refers to the plug itself (like DB9 or DB25, too) and doesn't say anything about how the wires are connected to each other.

The cable you linked to will fit, but there's no guarantee that the wiring is the same. It may even cause damage to the computer.

Well that is not very encouraging 🙁 I'll check the cable itself tomorrow and see if there is any sort of "print" on it.

Reply 3 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-01-26, 22:56:

[...]

Well that is not very encouraging 🙁 I'll check the cable itself tomorrow and see if there is any sort of "print" on it.

Maybe we can help, but we need a bit more info. What two devices are connected via this cable? Do you have brand+model of them?