VOGONS

First post, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm so excited! After years and years of searching... I've finally found my childhood PC on eBay and purchased it! It's also in very clean, fully working condition.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

It's a Packard Bell Pulsar 19 desktop PC

Pentium 1 MMX 233Mhz
32MV EDO RAM
2GB HDD
CD ROM / Floppy
S3 onboard 2mb graphics
Some ISA sound card not sure what exactly yet

I'm looking to turn this machine into a MS DOS machine, Though, if i can find the original Packard Bell master CD I will use windows 95 too as that has some classic software i would enjoy to play with for pure nostalgia.

From memory this machine has x3 ISA and 1 PCI slots. I plan to upgrade the GPU and sound card (if the current sound card isn't good with DOS) any advice on a good choice of GPU for this? Perhaps a Voodoo 1?

So exciting to own my childhood PC. I had one of these brand new back in 1997.

Last edited by darkomen on 2020-01-27, 21:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 41, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a real long shot but can anyone ID this sound card? it's an ISA card for sure this is the only photo i have for now.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JS8AAOSw9-Zd87d-/s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-01-28, 01:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 41, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

why are you sure that it's an ISA card?

looks more like PCI to me, I don't really know of any ISA card with SMDs on the back, let alone this many, also ISA cards usually face component side up.
it also looks like a GPU and not a sound card.

e: pretty sure that's a Voodoo 1

it definitely is a Voodoo 1, see http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/palcal/3dfx/ … 1_bottom_hq.jpg

Reply 3 of 41, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

4MB 3DFX Voodoo PCI, part number 621-820018. Layout matches, as well as the large plated hole.

Last edited by wiretap on 2020-01-27, 17:38. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 41, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is not a sound card and it is not ISA either.

The placement of the capacitors on the back give it away.

The sticker that is barely readable in the picture starts with ATC, which indicates A-Trend as the brand.

After a bit of searching, it is an A-Trend Helios 3D PCI video card (voodoo 1 4MB)

See here for pics of both sides:
http://hw-museum.cz/vga/3/a-trend-helios-3d

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 41, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, the Packard Bell Milano Desktop case. Something of an acquired taste, but no accounting for nostalgia 😉

Just for reference, the motherboard is a Packard Bell 'Orlando' 682 or 683. The 682 has an S3 Trio, the 683 a Virge. The difference is totally irrelevant in retrospect as Virge's 3D is notoriously useless and you have a Voodoo anyway. Both boards are manufactured by Intel, different versions of the NV430VX. Some versions support split voltage for Pentium MMX, others don't - given you have a P233MMX in there I'm assuming this one does. Max RAM is 128MB, with max 64MB cacheable. For DOS the 32MB you have is more than enough, for Win9x you might want 64MB. More than that is pointless on a P233MMX and will just slow it down.

If you don't have a sound card (as the Voodoo is no sound card) you'll probably want one. The correct sound card for one of these systems is an Aztech design, usually one with integrated modem onboard; Rocky II (Aztech I38-MMSN843) or Rocky 2.5 (Aztech I38-MMSN855) is what I would expect here, or if it was sold without modem an I38-MMSN837. All are excellent designs based on Aztech 2316 (non-PnP) or 2320 (PnP) chips, with real OPL3, full hardware SBPro2 and WSS support, bug-free MIDI and low noise levels. Under DOS there was no MIDI support, but in Windows they shipped with the Voyetra Audiostation, including MIDI softsynth.

Reply 8 of 41, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Enjoy it! The feelings from finding your childhood computer is almost inconceivable to people who aren't into this hobby.
Not to spoil the party but I believe it would be better if the topic title could be changed to something more explanatory for the rest of us 😉

Reply 9 of 41, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm well now I'm confused... It would of been amazing if that was a Voodoo 1 but I don't think it is as from the back the only expansion card is a sound card.

s-l1600.jpg

That's why i assumed it was a sound card... Confusing... The seller is selling a bunch of old PC's so maybe he got confused with the pictures but the inside layout matches the old Packard Bell perfectly...

Very strange.

Reply 11 of 41, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you already have a voodoo 1 in it :p

Just saw, amazing if it does!! 😁 but this picture says otherwise to me sadly...

s-l1600.jpg

congrats! nothing beats finding your childhood system!

Thank you! Yes it was a shock when it popped up as i never see these. I've been looking for literally years.

Ah, the Packard Bell Milano Desktop case. Something of an acquired taste, but no accounting for nostalgia 😉

Agreed! They were rather strange to look at haha!

Just for reference, the motherboard is a Packard Bell 'Orlando' 682 or 683. The 682 has an S3 Trio, the 683 a Virge. The difference is totally irrelevant in retrospect as Virge's 3D is notoriously useless and you have a Voodoo anyway. Both boards are manufactured by Intel, different versions of the NV430VX. Some versions support split voltage for Pentium MMX, others don't - given you have a P233MMX in there I'm assuming this one does. Max RAM is 128MB, with max 64MB cacheable. For DOS the 32MB you have is more than enough, for Win9x you might want 64MB. More than that is pointless on a P233MMX and will just slow it down.

Thank you very informative! I'm amazed you guys know so much about these systems I thought they were very obscure. It will likely stay a DOS machine as i already have a nice Windows 98 SE machine for all my Windows gaming needs but if i can find the original master CD (very doubtful!!) then Windows 95 will be on it too.

If you don't have a sound card (as the Voodoo is no sound card) you'll probably want one. The correct sound card for one of these systems is an Aztech design, usually one with integrated modem onboard; Rocky II (Aztech I38-MMSN843) or Rocky 2.5 (Aztech I38-MMSN855) is what I would expect here, or if it was sold without modem an I38-MMSN837. All are excellent designs based on Aztech 2316 (non-PnP) or 2320 (PnP) chips, with real OPL3, full hardware SBPro2 and WSS support, bug-free MIDI and low noise levels. Under DOS there was no MIDI support, but in Windows they shipped with the Voyetra Audiostation, including MIDI softsynth.

If you check the image above, it shows the sound card, not sure if you can make out much from that picture but it definitely has one. Your knowledge on this machine is incredible. I love this place!

Enjoy it! The feelings from finding your childhood computer is almost inconceivable to people who aren't into this hobby.
Not to spoil the party but I believe it would be better if the topic title could be changed to something more explanatory for the rest of us 😉

Thank you and yes I edited it I was too excited when i first posted i didn't think haha!

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-01-28, 01:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 41, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

God I hope so! If this thing comes with a Voodoo 1 I will be sooo happy!

If i remember correctly.. and I'm going back like over 20 years ago but I swear the top port was a single PCI slot then the other 3 were ISA. So it could very well be hiding there.

Reply 15 of 41, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darkomen wrote on 2020-01-27, 22:12:

[...]

If you check the image above, it shows the sound card, not sure if you can make out much from that picture but it definitely has one. Your knowledge on this machine is incredible. I love this place!

That's no Voodoo, that's one of those Aztech cards, in this case one without modem. If you look for the FCC-ID on the card it should tell you which it is. I'd say I38-MMSN837 but it could also be I38-SN97125 or I38-MMSN824 or some other. In any event, for DOS drivers it's the chip that's relevant. You can find all the drivers here: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=41,36

If you have a 2316(A/R), try the Sound Galaxy Pro 16 II drivers. If it's the 2320, try the Sound Galaxy Pro16 III-3D PnP drivers. Or rather: the respective config tool. You don't actually need a TSR driver, just something to tell the card which resources to use.

And as for that knowledge - I used to work at the Packard Bell helpdesk around 2000-2001, when these things were already old, but recent enough that there was still documentation and people called in asking about it.

Reply 16 of 41, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I realize that you are excited but why not just wait until you receive the item and pull out the card and look at. The reason why you someone though it was a voodoo is becasue you didn't show them the other pictures. Thus we have this confusion about it and it's fine becasue now we have something to talk about but I am sure that most people if they had the pictures would of known its some type of sound card. And that's not really important. Whats important is physically pulling out the card and inspecting the chips and writing on the card to determine if its good or not. And thats pretty hard to do even if we know its the back of a sound card.

Reply 17 of 41, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the card in the first picture is still a voodoo though :p
that and the rear view show two different cards in the same system ^^

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-01-28, 01:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 41, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2020-01-27, 22:50:

That's no Voodoo, that's one of those Aztech cards, in this case one without modem. If you look for the FCC-ID on the card it should tell you which it is. I'd say I38-MMSN837 but it could also be I38-SN97125 or I38-MMSN824 or some other. In any event, for DOS drivers it's the chip that's relevant. You can find all the drivers here: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=41,36

If you have a 2316(A/R), try the Sound Galaxy Pro 16 II drivers. If it's the 2320, try the Sound Galaxy Pro16 III-3D PnP drivers. Or rather: the respective config tool. You don't actually need a TSR driver, just something to tell the card which resources to use.

And as for that knowledge - I used to work at the Packard Bell helpdesk around 2000-2001, when these things were already old, but recent enough that there was still documentation and people called in asking about it.

The picture from the back of the computer is a sound card but the card asked about in the other thread shows the backside of a Voodoo 1 4MB card. One sold by A-Trend to be exact.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-01-28, 01:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK