VOGONS

First post, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone, I have a severe- and a minor issue.

The Computer I own is a VOBIS Highscreen, model: 237042 TM DX2-80 VL.
The Motherboard is a FIC 486-GIO-VT2.
The CPU is a AMD 486DX2-80
I have 4x4mb of EDO Ram installed.
The GPU is a Trident TGUI9420DGi .
It says "ROM ISA BIOS (214L2000) CMOS SETUP UTILITY AWARD SOFTWARE, INC.", so I guess, this Board has the AWARD Bios.

The severe issue: I was forced to reset the CMOS, because something had caused my PC to stop posting.
After I resetted the CMOS, I tried to enter the BIOS, because I wanted to set the time, the boot priority and everything else.
However, I couldn't proceed, because a box prevents me from accessesing the BIOS, by asking me, to enter a password, which I've never created.
I then tried to reset the CMOS, by using the Jumper, unfortunately it didn't work.
Is there something like a master password, or a tool, I can use to reset the password? What else can I try?

The minor issue: There is a error, which luckly isn't preventing me from booting, but it's still pretty anoying and I don't know how to get rid of it.
It says: RAM PARITY-ERROR - CHECKING FOR SEGMENT...
OFFENDING SEGMENT: 0000
PRESS F1 TO DISABLE NMI, F2 TO REBOOT
When I press F1, the Computer proceeds to boot normally, however if I restart the Computer, the error reappears.

Hopefully these imformations are somehow useful:
I have 16mb (4x4mb) of FastPage, Non-Parity, 5v, 70ns EDO ram.
I have a pair of matching modules and two modules, that are different.
The first module is a Texas Instruments TM124BBK32S-70.
The second module is a liteon 20v0.
The third and the fourth modules are Panasonic P1004b744102.
I tested every module and they all appear to work fine.
If you need pictures, please let me know.
Do you guys, got any clue, what causes this (these) issue(s)?

Thank you in advance, for your help.
Every advice is highly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 29, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This might happen with corrupted CMOS data. Resetting the CMOS with the jumper should clear this, but that doesn't seem to work in your case. Are you sure the procedure was executed properly?

Does your board have a Dallas RTC with built in battery, or a separate coin cell battery?

If a separate battery, try and remove it and start the PC. Check the battery and perhaps replace it. Check orientation!

You computer worked, something happened and you needed to reset CMOS data, now it acts like this. What forced you to reset the CMOS data? That might give us a hint.

1982 to 2001

Reply 2 of 29, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are many sites that lists the master passwords for various BIOS makers, try these for example:
http://www.schure-shb.de/was-man-wei/hardware … asswoerter.HTML

As for the parity error: since you use non-parity RAM, make sure you have parity disabled in the BIOS. That's apparently not the case.

Reply 3 of 29, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you very much derSammler ! It worked! The password was alfarome!
Cyrix200+ huge thanks to you too, for your helpful advices.
I really appreciate your help guys.
I will now try to disable parity.
I will contact you again, as soon as possible.

Reply 4 of 29, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It appears, there is no option, that allows me to disable parity in the BIOS settings.
What am I supposed to do now? Do you need screenshots?
I have yet another question. Is there a way, I can enter the BIOS, without typing the password, each time i'm trying to access it?

Reply 5 of 29, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wilius wrote on 2020-01-31, 15:57:

It appears, there is no option, that allows me to disable parity in the BIOS settings.
What am I supposed to do now? Do you need screenshots?

Well, maybe you do have a RAM parity error, as in, one of the RAM sticks you have is fauly. That would explain why the computer stopped POSTing and why the BIOS is behaving strange after CMOS reset. Try with different RAM sticks?

Reply 6 of 29, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Deunan Thank you! You're might be right. I'm going to test different RAM modules and i'm also going to retest my current modules once again, I will also test every RAM slot one my board, maybe one slot is faulty.
I just find it odd, that all RAM modules are beign detected properly.

Last edited by Wilius on 2020-01-31, 16:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 29, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It loos like, that Bank 3, might be faulty. (I can't confirm it. I have 4 modules, with each having a capacity of 4mb and 16mb is being detected by this board)
However, bank 0, bank 1 and bank 2 are working fine.
I tested different modules, unfortunately the same error appears.
What I can confirm, is, that all of my RAM modules are working fine, since they all worked without any issues on my a PCChips M571.
Is there a way to disable NMI permanentely?

Reply 8 of 29, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the password issue, there should be a setting in BIOS to set/enable/disable the password. If there isn't a setting to disable it, you should be able to change it. If you enter a blank password it should disable it.

Do any of the contacts on the bank 3 slot look dirty or bent? You might want to try spraying some de-oxit or similar electrical contact cleaner on the RAM slots. At the very least, disconnect the power. Better yet would be to remove the motherboard from the case before cleaning it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 29, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deunan wrote on 2020-01-31, 16:04:

Well, maybe you do have a RAM parity error, as in, one of the RAM sticks you have is fauly. That would explain why the computer stopped POSTing and why the BIOS is behaving strange after CMOS reset. Try with different RAM sticks?

You can not have a parity error with RAM that has no parity! If RAM is bad, the POST would show that instead - and that is different from a parity error which can only occur with 9-bit RAM modules. The BIOS is wrongly assuming that there is parity RAM installed (you can already see this by the segment offset 0000), even though there isn't. So either the CMOS settings are wrong and parity is enabled, or the system can not work with non-parity RAM. But I doubt the latter on a VOBIS Highscreen.

Post a picture of the BIOS screen please that has the settings for RAM and such.

Reply 10 of 29, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

cyclone3d Thank you, the password issue is now completely gone.
I'm going to take the pictures of the Bios screen, this might take me a moment.
The pins of bank 3 looks fine too me.
I'm going to clean the pins, but I don't think I will do this today.
Once again, thank you for your awesome support!

Reply 11 of 29, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-31, 16:58:

You can not have a parity error with RAM that has no parity!

Sure you can - socket/RAM stick corrosion, or broken mobo traces (or battery spill corrosion) can very easily confuse the BIOS detection code.
Since this is a 486 system I would also re-seat the CPU (and in general make sure it's not dirty or something). The 486 has a parity detector built-in, the CPU itself will ignore it but the output signal might be used by the mobo. Could be a jumper and not a software setting. And then there are potential issues with having EDO sticks that are not of the same brand, EDO support on 486 boards was not exactly great or stable most of the time.

In other words, I'm not saying it is a partity error, rather, it seems to be RAM-related and faulty RAM can manifest in any number of ways. The BIOS self-test is not very good at finding uncommon failures like a weak cell for example.

Reply 13 of 29, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deunan wrote on 2020-01-31, 17:18:

Sure you can - socket/RAM stick corrosion, or broken mobo traces (or battery spill corrosion) can very easily confuse the BIOS detection code.

You don't seem to know what parity is. Parity checking is a 9th bit on the RAM module for each byte that is set to either odd or even and is checked when reading from RAM. It requires RAM with the additional 9th parity bit, of course. Parity checking must be enabled in the BIOS, otherwise you can not get a parity error. No damage whatsoever on the RAM or the RAM slots can force the BIOS to do parity checking if it isn't enabled. What I said stays true: the system either requires parity RAM or the CMOS is misconfigured. And it's most likely the latter.

The RAM is certainly not bad. The error shows segment offset 0000, so the first 64 kb would be faulty already. Since it's expecting parity, this error message makes sense, as it's already failing testing the very first byte. If the RAM there would be really faulty, the system would not POST at all, as the first 64 kb are *required* to be good for the BIOS to execute. This is checked before even the display is initialized. With an error here, you get two beeps only and no display.

Reply 14 of 29, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-31, 18:14:

You don't seem to know what parity is. Parity checking is a 9th bit on the RAM module for each byte that is set to either odd or even and is checked when reading from RAM. It requires RAM with the additional 9th parity bit, of course.

Actually, it's bits 32-35 (counting from zero). But I'm not here to argue. All I wanted to say is, if the PC stops booting and then complains about RAM after a CMOS clear, then checking the RAM is not a bad idea. Usually the parity check is disabled by default, now this BIOS might be different or maybe it's using some auto-detect code. In which case a faulty RAM can be misdetected. Also, it's personal experience but the 486 mobos I worked with were very picky about EDO RAM (and that's the ones that supported it in the first place).

Reply 15 of 29, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope you can see the pictures. I wasn't sure which file licence I should pick.

Attachments

• Bild1.png
    Filename
    Bild1.png
    File size
    343.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 18 of 29, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The first thing that caught my eye (and had already been mentioned in the thread) is that you have EDO RAM installed. Swop out the memory with FPM RAM and see what happens.

Also check the manual for different memory configurations. Some motherboards (for example) only accepts dual banked RAM in certain slots.

Reply 19 of 29, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Show us the memory modules used in this motherboard. The parity feature uses either 3 chips or 9 chips per module and EDO is not supported on 486 since 486 only use FPM type.

Pentium uses FPM or EDO memory.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.