VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They are transistors and may have failed, you can check their output voltages with a multimeter.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21 of 29, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RBretrox wrote on 2020-02-03, 13:13:

However, I'm usually sat on this shiny smooth plastic chair that I'm convinced gives me a static charge, when I slide off it to go and unplug some cable in the machine. Could be that, as my son knows too well when I give him a shock when he's playing a game on a computer next to me!

I wonder why no one took up on that so far...

I'm not sure if you are aware of, but even the slightest static discharge will damage or even destroy semi-conductors. You should stop sitting in that chair while working on computers and also start wearing an ESD protection wristband. I can actually see how the board died if you handle that stuff this way.

Reply 23 of 29, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly I doubt that. I’ve bought bare motherboards from eBay that showed up wrapped in plastic wrap and stuck in a box of styrofoam peanuts. Someone will throw out the “you never know what damage has been done” but, and while true, it’s a little like proving the existence of God to and atheist. You’re both going to find evidence and none of it will be, nor can be, conclusive.

I’m not saying proper static prevention is not a good idea, but flat out component failure is usually something a little more obvious.

Reply 24 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I aldo dont think this sounds like static damage failure but tbh I wouldnt try any harder to diagnose and fix a S370 board they are fairly common.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25 of 29, by RBretrox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Possible answer...

Tried another PSU, powered on and we have the magic smoke and fire!

This is now fully burned out, so I'm going to remove both and try to find replacements

IMG_20200208_184911_1.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200208_184911_1.jpg
File size
197.58 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Small consolation, I soldered the PS/2 ports back on.

Reply 26 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RBretrox wrote on 2020-02-08, 18:51:
Possible answer... […]
Show full quote

Possible answer...

Tried another PSU, powered on and we have the magic smoke and fire!

This is now fully burned out, so I'm going to remove both and try to find replacements

Small consolation, I soldered the PS/2 ports back on.

Ahhh you need to find out why it burned. Are you using some not supported CPU ? Possible a bad cap caused that but more likely human error.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 28 of 29, by RBretrox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-02-08, 08:35:

I aldo dont think this sounds like static damage failure but tbh I wouldnt try any harder to diagnose and fix a S370 board they are fairly common.

I'm keen to fix it as I want a motherboard with AGP, PCI and ISA for a Windows 98 project machine and these boards currently seem to cost more than I'd like to pay. Seen the same board recently for £50 on eBay.

I also like fixing stuff, as long as the repair parts are not too costly.

Reply 29 of 29, by RBretrox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bit of a twist here

Browsing eBay and I find exactly the same obscure motherboard as the broken one.

It was far too much money.

Offered £30 plus £5 postage and it's mine.

So even if the repair doesn't go well, at least my project can be back on track