Reply 20 of 37, by CoffeeOne
mpe wrote on 2020-02-03, 22:19:
OK Mission accomplished. I soldered in the extra header, installed 1 MBit TAG chips and it is now working! Looks like the jumper […]
OK Mission accomplished. I soldered in the extra header, installed 1 MBit TAG chips and it is now working! Looks like the jumper needs to be permanently in place,
ctcm is confused with anything >512k. However, cachechk and speedsys confirm the cache. The speedsys graph is a little unusual:
The only DOS app showing some improvement over 1024k is Quake (20.1fps vs 19.8fps). The rest seems to comfortably fit in the 1M cache already. (DOOM +1 realtick, pcpbench + 0.1fps, ...) I think I will need to better benchmarks that use larger data set, likely in Windows.
Will spent a little bit more time on this board. Currently have "faster" cache setting and 2T write cycles. This is the same as 256k/512k/1024k, but I still believe that with genuine <15ns SRAM chips I should be able to run this at full speed and beat even a 75 MHz mb...
Awesome upgrade, old hardware maxed out 😀
I am a bit surprised, that you used the cheap 10ns chips instead of the probably correct labelled 15ns chips.