VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I tried using a phenom x4 9950 arguably the fastest 65nm phenom on windows 10. Running Firefox or chrome maxed the CPU at places like Facebook. I also tested some gpus and found the limit is a 9800gtx+/gts250 anything faster is CPU bottlenecked. I think in light of the fact it's now worthless for modern tasks it's time to declare am2 and am2+ retro, not vintage but retro. They make fine XP era processors.

I gave it the best possible shot as well.

Phenom X4 9950 @ 3ghz
Asus m3n-72d
4x2gb ddr2 800 5-5-5-11 Corsair XMS3
GTX 750 to
128gb SSD

The phenom has not aged well, it's competitor the q6600 can still run the modern web.

Reply 1 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The phenom has not aged well, it's competitor the q6600 can still run the modern web.

Nah, they both aged bad, lacking crucial this days SSE 4.1 and SSE 4.2 extensions. In fact, Q6600 aged terribly, with all those Intel security flaws present.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 16, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seriously it can’t handle web surfing?

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 3 of 16, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BinaryDemon wrote on 2020-02-05, 03:22:

Nope it chokes badly to the point where browsing Facebook, YouTube, or outlook.com saw my CPU ramp to 100% and appear locked up temporarily.

It was bound to happen, it happens to all of them, I remember when my Pentium 133 was fast and well suited or my Athlon XP. Now they are best suited for their time period programs and apps, and the first gen Phenom joins them. It's still a great 2008-2010 option for a retro rig and powers my normal 7900gtx SLI setup beautifully.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-02-05, 03:18:

Nah, they both aged bad, lacking crucial this days SSE 4.1 and SSE 4.2 extensions. In fact, Q6600 aged terribly, with all those Intel security flaws present.

I dunno I've still got a q6600 @3.2 doing modern tasks, it can still Facebook, YouTube and Netflix, same as the Phenom II. The Phenom 1 though is sluggish and unresponsive, it's as useful today as a Pentium D, Athlon 64x2, or even Athlon II.

Reply 4 of 16, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see what you are saying. The platform it runs on is still too modern. Pci express etc...That and as others said it hasn't aged well. If somone wanted that type of platform for some reason i'd reccomend Yorkfield xeon is the way to go.

This is what I have in my X38 rig for 10 years.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon … 0569KJ087N.html

Reply 5 of 16, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What you are experiencing has more to do with how shit Chrome is than how old the Phemon X4 is. I have an Athlon II X4 box that works quite well on the modern web with Firefox as well as media playback including x265. I doubt the original Phenom would be much slower than that if at all.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 16, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-02-05, 06:58:

What you are experiencing has more to do with how shit Chrome is than how old the Phemon X4 is. I have an Athlon II X4 box that works quite well on the modern web with Firefox as well as media playback including x265. I doubt the original Phenom would be much slower than that if at all.

It chocked on Firefox also, part of the problem is ram speed, the first gen is limited to ddr2 1066 while the ii supports ddr3 1333 natively and has no issues with up to 2133. I also think the 45nm parts have newer instructions.

As for the platform is to new, it's pcie 2.0 and sata2. It's best cards are 12 years old as anything faster is a waste. I do think the platform is interesting though, at least my board supports all am2 CPUs as well as all am3 CPUs, so in theory I could drop in a phenom ii x6. But first gen phenom itself is just an odd curiosity totally inadequate for the modern web.

Reply 8 of 16, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hesitate to call the Phenom retro, but it was a pretty broken CPU (Phenom II does better).

Using it in XP to play XP games with a compatible PCI-E graphics makes it a good windows XP gaming platform though. In that way it can be a good retro machine.

Reply 9 of 16, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm. I'm using a Opteron 1354(4 core, 2.2 GHz, 65NM) based system as a daily driver currently alongside my old i7 rig. It's a HP Proliant ML-115. 8 GB RAM, Geforce 6800, SB Live! , 64 GB Samsung SSD and a couple of SATA hard drives. Running Linux Ubuntu 19.10 I have no problems at all with internet use, youtube et al work perfectly fine and snappy as do the rest of the modern web, I'm not a facebook user so can't comment on that. As far as I understand it, the Opteron was the first of the K10 quad cores so your Phenom should be faster by a good margin, I can only imagine that Windows 10 is the issue. Give linux a try and see how you find that.
Best regards,
Chris

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 10 of 16, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you have to remember though that websites nowadays don't have any consideration for performance whatsoever, the bloat is real.

web surfing 10+ years ago was something entirely different than it is today.

Reply 11 of 16, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BSA Starfire wrote on 2020-02-06, 11:57:

Hmm. I'm using a Opteron 1354(4 core, 2.2 GHz, 65NM) based system as a daily driver

Nice, I use an dual Opteron 285 dual core (2.6Ghz) setup. One generation behind. I found it to be enough for daily drivin'

Cheers,
KCS

Reply 12 of 16, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Growing up with the Phenom as a high end solution, makes me feel old reading this thread, but I think it's fair now.
As per browsing, Chrome is known for chugging Ram, but Firefox does the same with Cpu.
I recommend Vivaldi as an alternative for not powerful enough systems running Win 10.

Reply 14 of 16, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-02-06, 12:02:

you have to remember though that websites nowadays don't have any consideration for performance whatsoever, the bloat is real.

web surfing 10+ years ago was something entirely different than it is today.

Yeah I understand that, I just don’t usually have issues with tablet and thin client quad core cpus running at 1.6 ghz. I suppose modern cpu instruction sets and a fast memory interface make all the difference.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 15 of 16, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have any experience with the original Phenoms, and though I've heard that they're pretty weak compared to Core 2 and Phenom II, I can't imagine that they're that bad on the modern web.

I mean, I still have an old Surface 3 with a quad-core Atom X7 that spends most of its time boosting to 2.4GHz and even it gets along with Chrome quite nicely, for what it is. I just can't imagine a 3GHz Phenom X4 being slower than that!

Edit: BTW, I also have a Phenom II X6 1090T @ just over 4GHz, and on most websites there's barely any perceptible difference between it, my i7-4930K @ 4.6, and my Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3.

Edit 2: Oh, Facebook, that bog of eternal stench. I haven't been on it since 2018, but I do remember it giving my Opteron 185 @ 3GHz and the Surface 3 a bit of difficulty at times. The Phenom II was always fine with it though.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 16 of 16, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using now a Q8200 and Lubuntu. The perfomance is okay . Tried a phenom II X2 555 and the cpu usage goes to 100% easily on web browser. My 1151 mobo died after a storm . Lucky enough the HDD and PSU (corsair) are safe.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.