VOGONS

First post, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have both of these and wanted to use one of them for dos gaming. Now the 128 is the oldest so figured to use that one but it is not detected in any game. Are these cards to new already? This is in pure dos 6.22. Not dos mode from a 9x install.

Reply 2 of 4, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As already stated - the card needs drivers to work.
I used various SB Live cards before getting some AWEs. I think they worked great but were too much in the 486 machines... there was stutter due to the PCI bus which did not occur even on the slowest Pentium platform.

I only used a SB128 based card a few times and it seemed to sound like tin... terrible.

Reply 3 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Neither PCI card is really recommended for DOS, but given that, the SBLive has far better SNR, so whatever sound it makes will at least sound crystal clear. You will need nasty TSR drivers in any event.

Exactly what other options you may have depend on your system - what motherboard are you using?

Reply 4 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The SB Live has better FM synthesis capabilities. This will matter in older DOS games that don't support General Midi.

Of course, the FM synthesis on the Live is not as good as on a card with a genuine OPL3 chip, but it's still leagues better than what the SB128 is doing. Without exaggerating in any way, the SB128 has the worst FM synth emulation that I've ever heard. Here, have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AZI07_qts8

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi