VOGONS

Any love for AM2?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 118, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What operating systems do you put on your AM2 builds?

Windows XP because my Athlon X2 6000+ would have really been something if it came out a year earlier
Windows Vista because I want a quirky OS to go with my peculiar hardware
Windows 7 because I already upgraded the RAM and now I want trim support for my SSD
Windows 8.1 because kinky bondage like user interfaces are my thing
Windows 10 because my Phenom II X4 is still a legit CPU, damn it!
Linux, because I’ve got an Sempron-LE that still works as a router

Reply 61 of 118, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my point of view, the strong points of AM2 against 775 are the memory controler that was ahead of it's time in concepts, like it hapened with the Athlon ev6 bus, and the wide CPU compatibility, AM3 CPUS can run on AM2 boards, whille in 775 boards are more limited. For example, the Core 2 CPUs in 45nm can only work on late 775 boards.
The performance of Core 2 is superior, but the 775 platform was a lot more expensive back then and the extra money didn't pay back the performance diference. Nowadays, 775 is cheaper than AM2 because a lot of companies were full of 775 based computers a now they are worthless. And the Nvidia bumpgate afected more on the AM2 platform than on the 775 platform, so it's getting harder to get good AM2 motherboards.
The proof that the memory controler integrated in the CPU was ahead of it's time is the fact that Intel took some years to follow that path, like they did with the AMD64 instructions. and nowadays every CPU has the memory controler inside.

Reply 62 of 118, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I might do an AM2 Vista machine because there was interesting vista only stuff for HD3000/4000 cards to mess with. Win7 seems actually a bit lighter on RAM than Vista, like you need 2GB before Vista feels fluid, but 1.5GB is that point with Win7... so if you end up stuck below 2GB for some reason and want something newer than XP then might be better with 7 than Vista. Be on your guard though.... Vista on 2GB+ might actually seduce you, and you'll be raving about it like those poor poor ME fans.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 63 of 118, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hoping wrote on 2023-01-22, 12:28:

One big point for AM2 is the cooler retention mechanism, I didn't try an AM4 cooler but you can use the same cooler for 754-939-AM2/+ and AM3/+, the only thing to taque care is the mounting presure.

Sorry, but I wouldn't say it works to any way. I couldn't setup an ordinary S754 cooler onto an AM2 motherboard. The cooler was just a little bit bigger (longer or wider - I don't remember) than a plastic frame. Though maybe AM2 coolers fit well for early AMD platforms...

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 64 of 118, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-01-22, 15:11:
Nexxen wrote on 2023-01-22, 13:57:

I recently thought about a socket AM2/3 retro rig.
1) to make sense vs 775 I need it low power: I can get a C2D with x2 for lower power and better performance

There are those 4850e and 5050e brisbane core X2s that are lower wattage. On a nforce 400 mATX board they will pootle along at under 50W at the wall (more of course under high load), but those boards fall in the bumpgate problem area, so may not be ideal for long term use.

Have them both.
AM2 is an unfortunate socket as it didn't come with a huge improvement.
With the Phenom bug that killed like 20% performance (or was it less?), it was time for a new design that only came with Zen.

Well, AMD provided some good performance but not ahead of competition.
Ok, enough with this as I'm no pundit on the subject.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 65 of 118, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
douglar wrote on 2023-01-22, 15:27:

What operating systems do you put on your AM2 builds?

I used WinXP as I was limited to 2GB of DDR2-800 at the time. And I have very few AM2 mobos.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 66 of 118, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roman555 wrote on 2023-01-22, 16:09:

One big point for AM2 is the cooler retention mechanism, I didn't try an AM4 cooler, but you can use the same cooler for 754-939-AM2/+ and AM3/+, the only thing to taque care is the mounting presure.

Sorry, but I wouldn't say it works to any way. I couldn't setup an ordinary S754 cooler onto an AM2 motherboard. The cooler was just a little bit bigger (longer or wider - I don't remember) than a plastic frame. Though maybe AM2 coolers fit well for early AMD platforms...

I only have one working 754 computers and the cooler that came with it fitted in an AM2 socket without problems, it was a Scythe katana 3 cooler, but I didn't do many tests with the 754 because I've used a laptop 754 CPU on a desktop board, so I've had to create a custom cooling solution for that computer.

Reply 67 of 118, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hoping wrote on 2023-01-22, 17:18:

One big point for AM2 is the cooler retention mechanism, I didn't try an AM4 cooler, but you can use the same cooler for 754-939-AM2/+ and AM3/+, the only thing to taque care is the mounting presure.

I only have one working 754 computers and the cooler that came with it fitted in an AM2 socket without problems, it was a Scythe katana 3 cooler, but I didn't do many tests with the 754 because I've used a laptop 754 CPU on a desktop board, so I've had to create a custom cooling solution for that computer.

Would be interested to learn more about this 😀

Is your CPU a Turion by any chance?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 68 of 118, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2023-01-22, 17:22:
Hoping wrote on 2023-01-22, 17:18:

Would be interested to learn more about this 😀

Is your CPU a Turion by any chance?

It isn't so special, it is only an Athlon 64 mobile 3200+ "DTR" https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Mobile% … 3200BEX5AR.html.
The same socket, only, the mobile CPU doesn't have a heatspreader and that's the reason I had to be creative with the cooling. The same that happened with the Athlon XP and the Athlon XP-M.
I think it even has the same TDP as the desktop CPU. But it may be better to undervolt because I think it was stable at the default max frequency with only 1.3v, but I'm speaking from memory.

Reply 69 of 118, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hoping wrote on 2023-01-22, 15:46:

The proof that the memory controler integrated in the CPU was ahead of it's time is the fact that Intel took some years to follow that path, like they did with the AMD64 instructions. and nowadays every CPU has the memory controler inside.

I think that since 2018, Ryzen chips have moved the memory controller off the CPU die and out to an external "chiplet".

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13560/amd-unve … ts-14-nm-io-die

Reply 70 of 118, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2023-01-22, 19:08:
Hoping wrote on 2023-01-22, 15:46:

I think that since 2018, Ryzen chips have moved the memory controller off the CPU die and out to an external "chiplet".

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13560/amd-unve … ts-14-nm-io-die

Didn't know that, but the memory controller is still inside the CPU package, not outside in the chipset.
Thanks for the info, it seems that every thing is moving to that "chiplet" design.
I don't really care about "new" technology, so I'm veeery outdated. 😉

Reply 71 of 118, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some Am2+/3 boards support 16gb of ddr2

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 72 of 118, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did anybody try 4gb ddr2 modules on AM2+ motherboards with AM2/AM3 CPUs like the Athlon II and Phenom II.?
I have an M2N-E with an Athlon II 265, but I don't have any 4gb ddr2 modules to try, only the late low profile and very common 2gb ddr2 800 modules.
Since the memory controller is on the CPU, maybe de board won't be the limiting factor.

Reply 73 of 118, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reading this post I realized that I have an MSI MS-7349 which should mount the NVIDIA GeForce 7050 PV. Can I use it as a backup computer for win98 and DOS games? Maybe with some unknowns it works…

Reply 74 of 118, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hoping wrote on 2023-01-23, 21:15:

Did anybody try 4gb ddr2 modules on AM2+ motherboards with AM2/AM3 CPUs like the Athlon II and Phenom II.?
I have an M2N-E with an Athlon II 265, but I don't have any 4gb ddr2 modules to try, only the late low profile and very common 2gb ddr2 800 modules.
Since the memory controller is on the CPU, maybe de board won't be the limiting factor.

Yes I have using Phenom II x4 and AM2+ Asus motherboard and 4GB DDR2 x 4 works best with AMD chipset but my motherboard died later at wrong time. Remember AM2, 2+ and AM3 memory bus is direct connected to the CPU itself.

AM3 also supports DDR3 and already have 4GB per stick support due to being DDR3.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 75 of 118, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's always three things that can say get bent... the actual design limits of the memory controller, the physical electrical implementation of the board, and the way the BIOS is programmed. Though those latter two, it's never quite sure whether it's the manufacturer getting in the way on purpose or accidentally or incompetently, occassionally there is a BIOS fix, sometimes 3rd party.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 76 of 118, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a Am2+/Am3 board that accepted 2x4gb DDR2 sticks with all the Am3 cpus I tested.
Some Am2 too IIRC.
They were AMD cpus only ram sticks.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 77 of 118, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently has 2x4gb of ram on it and posts. 16gb ddr2 800 Chinese ram is detected in the bios but I have to not be lazy and flash the latest bios for all 16gb to be detected and usable. Current bios is some crazy early bios. Phenom ii 920. Wont boot from USB at all but XP loaded up just fine. Haven't fiddled with it in awhile.

Attachments

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 78 of 118, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, maybe it's possible to have a desktop motherboard of the year 2007 with 16gb ram, non server motherboards or workstation motherboards I mean. A lot of users, here, like to do that, maxing out the hardware to limits unthinkable back then.

Reply 79 of 118, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hoping wrote on 2023-01-24, 17:00:

So, maybe it's possible to have a desktop motherboard of the year 2007 with 16gb ram, non server motherboards or workstation motherboards I mean. A lot of users, here, like to do that, maxing out the hardware to limits unthinkable back then.

I have an old 2005 PowerMac G5 with 16GB of DDR2. Just eight sticks of regular non-ECC DDR2. The mostly 32-bit Leopard OS has no idea what to do with it all, but PPC64 Linux can kinda sorta make use of it. Really though, it's a bit like stuffing 128MB in a 486. The CPUs are just too slow to run programs which need that much memory.

On topic though, I used an AM2 system as a file server ages ago. 5000+ CPU, 4GB of DDR2, integrated graphics - just basic stuff. AM2 never really impressed me. I always thought of it as the cheap, boring platform that AMD had to throw together because DRAM manufacturers were winding down DDR1 production--even though K8 had, at least initially, seemed better optimized for regular old DDR. If I remember correctly, my carefully tuned Opteron 185 on S939 consistently measured around 3% faster on pure CPU tests, probably thanks to its use of CL2 DDR400 memory.

The memory latency was really quite dreadful on my AM2 system. I had always wondered if the GeForce 6150 iGPU had anything to do with it, or perhaps the way it was plumbed in to the memory bus. I remember it being really slow for Windows Aero. Like, even worse than Intel GMA 3000 somehow.

As others have already said, AM2+ and Phenom II is where things start to get fun.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!