VOGONS

First post, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently purchased a motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-7VT600P-RZ (Socket A board designed for Athlon XP CPUs) and I managed to get it to power on once but then I noticed the smell of burned electronics. I very quickly cut the power but it seems like I might not have been fast enough, as when I tried the board with another PSU that tested good it wouldn't power on at all. Is there any hope to save this board? It wasn't cheap and among Socket A boards it's one of the best (supports 400FSB CPUs and has onboard SATA) so I'd hate to just scrap it.

Reply 2 of 33, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anything in a PC can smell burnt and then make the system not power on. Until you narrow down the problem there's no way to tell if it can be fixed. I'm assuming you haven't found any obvious burnt spots, or else you'd have mentioned it.

First off, check for any swollen or leaky capacitors on the motherboard, your video card or inside the power supply. That isn't normally the source of a burning smell but it can certainly cause other things to suddenly go that way, and it is the most common problem with boards from that era.

Second, check for any pins, solder joints, chip legs, etc. that are bent or touching anything they shouldn't.

Third (or maybe this should be first now that I think about it...), make sure your CPU heatsink is attached properly. Athlon XPs were a bit of a pain in the butt to install coolers on and I don't believe they knew how to save themselves from burning up if the cooler wasn't installed correctly. I remember boiling water on an old Socket A Athlon or Duron without a heatsink attached.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 3 of 33, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Almost anything can be saved, especially if it is just a minor short like you describe. It all depends on the level of effort you put into saving it. As far as cost for repair, it should be minimal doing it yourself (I'd assume less than $20 if you need to buy IC components) Time is the most costly -- tracing everything down, desoldering, and testing components to see what is dead. If a trace is vaporized/broke from a high current event, that can also be repaired. If there are no damaged pads or traces, it should be a dead simple repair and you lucked out.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 33, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Of course you can save it. It just depends on how you value your time vs the cost of buying a replacement.
Some of course get enjoyment from the repairs!
Perhaps you could get some high res pictures for the eyes on this forum to look over.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 5 of 33, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't pulled the board out of the case yet to properly examine but I didn't notice any bulged or domed caps. I did have a heat sink properly installed with its fan running during the test and the power actually stayed on when I was smelling burning, I had to cut the power myself. Before the burning smell the computer was running but not posting.

Reply 8 of 33, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2020-02-16, 23:06:

Could be, on the other hand Gigabyte tended to have better caps than most. I'd say core crunch is at least as likely.

Core crunch? Do you mean the CPU die? I know the die getting broken was a problem back in this era...

Reply 9 of 33, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both socket A and socket 370 cpu's had no thermal limiting and no LID. If heat sink was not attached properly would very quickly fry the cpu, sometimes in a matter of seconds.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 33, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2020-02-17, 02:06:

Both socket A and socket 370 cpu's had no thermal limiting and no LID. If heat sink was not attached properly would very quickly fry the cpu, sometimes in a matter of seconds.

I used thermal paste on the die and the heat sink certainly seemed to be touching said die so I don't think it overheated...but I could be wrong.

Reply 11 of 33, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, are you sure it's a good idea to raise EvieSigma's hopes?

Let us be honest. The board is probably dead for good. If EvieSigma had the skill and the resources to fix it, he/she would not have made this thread.

Reply 12 of 33, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

True, but you don't learn when dont ask questions.

It's not like the matrix where you can just upload skills to your brain.

Yet.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13 of 33, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote on 2020-02-17, 03:25:

Guys, are you sure it's a good idea to raise EvieSigma's hopes?

Let us be honest. The board is probably dead for good. If EvieSigma had the skill and the resources to fix it, he/she would not have made this thread.

well, the question was if it is even possible ^^
but without knowing exactly what exactly is the cause it's really hard to tell... it might be as easy as replacing a simple component on the board... or as bad as all the chips being be fried.

in any case, pictures and checking the board for burn marks would definitely help.

Reply 14 of 33, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-02-16, 23:20:

[...]

Core crunch? Do you mean the CPU die? I know the die getting broken was a problem back in this era...

Yes, that's what i'm referring to. Essentially the die is a bit of brittle glass, and in the Athlon(XP) series it was very exposed and very easy to break a corner off. That generally means the end for the CPU.

Thermal death - as referenced above - is another potential cause of CPU (and frequently) motherboard death, but I'd say it's less common than plain mechanical destruction. Then again, a burning smell implies something got too hot. Have you identified what yet?

Reply 16 of 33, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an update! I examined the board and found what seems to be the damaged component. The only problem is that I don't know what this component is, and the damage makes its markings unreadable.

https://twitter.com/EvieSigma/status/12294632 … 8675546112?s=09

Reply 17 of 33, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-02-17, 17:53:

I have an update! I examined the board and found what seems to be the damaged component. The only problem is that I don't know what this component is, and the damage makes its markings unreadable.

https://twitter.com/EvieSigma/status/12294632 … 8675546112?s=09

That's a MOSFET in the power regulation, by the look of it for the AGP power supply. Generally when one of these goes it's bad news. MOSFETs are pretty robust, so by the time they fry, there's probably a cascade of other damage. Usual trigger is bad caps messing up stuff, although an incorrectly inserted or shorted-out AGP card could also have been to blame.

That's not to say that the board is by definition beyond repair, but it's definitely not trivial - at the very least you need to SMD-desolder the MOSFET without damaging the board, then solder on a replacement - but I'd check everything between ATX PSU connector and this MOSFET before even touching the soldering iron.

Reply 18 of 33, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

14N03LA MOSFET is what should be populated there. It looks like several different models were used there throughout different manufacturing dates.. probably just depended on what equivalent part they had on hand at the time.

Infineon part # P-TO263-3-2 ... 25V, 30 amp

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 19 of 33, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

mosfets don't pop like that without reason (generally speaking)

I see two likely scenarios:
#1: Shorted caps. you should replace all the large electrolytic caps (and the bad part), should be right as rain after that.
#2: You plugged something into the agp port that overloaded that mosfet

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.