VOGONS

First post, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all.

I have a Sound Blaster 16 IDE (CT2290) and I'm trying to get the connected CD-ROM drive to be recognized properly in Windows 98 SE.

It works fine in MS-DOS with the Oak driver + MSCDEX. No problems there, I can read data and audio.

But in Windows, while the drive does appear and is assigned a drive letter, every single disc appears as an audio CD. Even data discs without any CDDA at all. They just show up with a single "track01.cda" file! Attempting to navigate to the CD drive on the command line also produces this.

It didn't work at all before I installed the SB IDE drivers available from this site. The Device Manager recognizes there's a drive and even sees the device's correct name. So there's that.

I'm absolutely baffled. What else should I try?

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 1 of 3, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try booting into Win98 with the real-mode drivers removed from your config.sys / autoexec.bat. They can conflict, which is why Win98 normally moves MSCDEX to Windows\dosstart.bat in many cases automatically. If it works then, create a DOS menu for booting into DOS with CD-ROM support or into Windows with no real-mode stuff loaded.

Reply 2 of 3, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This happens while the OAKCDROM and MSCDEX drivers are not loaded. I have an elaborate AUTOEXEC+CONFIG which bypass everything but HIMEM for loading the OS. I haven't tried loading these drivers before starting Windows, though.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 3 of 3, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The weirdness continues.

Windows will not allow me to use its built in Creative IDE Controller driver directly. When I attempted to use it, it says "this device is plug and play compatible" and doesn't do anything.

However! If I have installed the SBIDE driver already (and have restarted since), then go into the Device Manager, and go to update the driver, Windows will magically find and use its own Creative IDE Controller driver.

Things seem to be working now.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA