VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some questions to ask:

Is there any old DOS games demanding enough to need L2 cache to run nicely and is CPU speed sensitive? Otherwise, if demanding dos games is not speed sensitive, I'd run these on my PIII 800 machine instead?
If too fast to use PIII 800, since I tried to use PII 233 on a Dell SE440BX-2 and does not boot, I'll check again to confirm later. Keep in mind, if some games is speed sensitive still but demand more video performance to need AGP video card?

How much of performance penalty without L2 cache, I'm running pair of SDRAM PC133 sticks at PC66 memory?
For disabling L1 cache with utility called Setmul?

The configuration:
Intel AN430TX motherboard with YMF719 for sound otherwise, I can use different sound card which I have some on hand: Aztech 2316R based, SB 16 vibra and ESS 1868 for SB Pro 2.0 or older and other choices that games offers.

Choice of: Pentium 200 or Pentium 233mmx, but I can under-clock both to 133MHz, even Pentium 200 can do 100, 90 or 75. Did tests on both processors to see what I can go lower.

External cache 512K can be turned off "L2" in bios.

256MB was what I have in my parts box. I can use disk memory or something to stuff something in upper range so DOS games can see less than 64MB if I leave L2 cache on or off.

Do have wide choice of PCI video cards including FX 5200 128bit memory but no cirrus logic yet.

Thanks and cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The cacheable limit has nothing to do with DOS, it's a hardware limit in the chipset. So even if you use the surplus RAM as a RAMdrive, it still won't help getting regular DOS stuff cached. There are basically no DOS programs that need >64MB, so I'd get a 64MB (or 32MB or even 16MB) DIMM. Performance hit of uncached vs cached via PLB is a bit over 10%.

As for how performance-sensitive your games are... can't answer that without you telling us what games you play.

Reply 3 of 4, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have not yet collected some names of game titles. Do you have suggestions where to go to sites so, let me to browse list of these dos games so I could create a list and research later.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 4, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This discussion happens perfectly, today I got my IBM Pentium 133 (which I will try to bring to 200Mhz). Even if I didn't think of using it as a DOS machine, I'm changing my mind and it seems to be an excellent machine for DOS titles. I find the Pentium 200Mhz extremely fascinating for its cost at the time which made it a small dream for us players. I will read this discussion with great interest. I read that disabling the chache wing commander works perfectly. Could it be instead a CPU usable with a voodoo2?