VOGONS

First post, by hageir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m stumped!

Hyundai P575

SMPS tested fine.
I get no beeps, only steady LEDs on the front (nothing connected)
I’ve tried no RAM, no CPU, no BIOS (also tried restarting/flashing BIOS)
no nothing.

Only fans and LEDs

I’ve checked both the ISA and PCI Videö cards on another computer; they’re fine.

CPU chip ‘looks’ fine. (I don’t have another Socket 5 mobo to test)

It’s a Micro-Star 5109 mobo
I’ve triple-checked all jumpers
it does have a “key lock” on the front which plugs into the pins where the LEDs and Front panel Power buttons go as well. Should only lock the keyboard ?

Well, I’m stumped...
Should I take it to a repair shop? (there is one Vintage Computer repair guy here in Reykjavík)

-Geir

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you checked the CMOS battery or if it has a Dallas chip those being dead can also cause a no POST.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by hageir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-02-19, 01:17:

Have you checked the CMOS battery or if it has a Dallas chip those being dead can also cause a no POST.

Hey man, thanks for the reply.

I originally pulled the battery (I've had enough of Potassium Hydroxide repairs for now 🤣 -Dr. Böhm Digital Drums and a Peavey DPM-3SE which were both horribly damaged)
I've got a new 3.6V 8mAh NiMH barrel sitting here (I don't remember what I bought it for)
I think it's for a 486DX2 machine I'm also working on.

-no Dallas type RAM/Battery thing in sight.

I've tried both jumpers on the Huyndai (Internal and External battery) but no avail.
I haven't tried it with a battery installed (would want to add an external "regular" 3V coin battery as a mod; easier to replace and cheap)

I'm in touch with the local retro/vintage computer repair guy, I'mma see if he has some BIOS chips of similar variety (Amibios Pentium)
he told me he's getting rid of a bunch of old stuff... Maybe I'll find some goodies!

Reply 3 of 3, by hageir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ha driven up 99% on this computer, which was a a shame because it’s a Pentium I 75 MHz with PCI and ISA slots in a nice Hyundai case marked with a defunct computer shop in Reykjavík; Tæknival.

I decided to try a CR2032 wired the terminals and to my wonder; two beeps at startup!!!!!!

Popped some RAM in it and it posted!

AWESOME.

I’ve been installing Windows 98SE on a CF card, all is working well 😀

It’s quite rare that the motherboard can’t start up without a battery (i.e. ‘nothing’ going on) -worst case should be that CMOS doesn’t remember/save settings...

Good to know!