VOGONS

First post, by retroid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently picked up a Sony Vaio PCV-RX550 computer that I'm using for some Windows 9x gaming. The hard drive was removed so there are no recovery partitions I can leverage.

Does anyone happen to have the Sony Vaio PCV-RX500 Series recovery/application/driver CD set that came with this series of computers? In doing some searching, it looks like there were 6 CDs in the set:

System Recovery CD #1
System Recovery CD #2
System Recovery CD #3
Application Recovery CD #1
Application Recovery CD #2
Driver Recovery CD

There are various versions of these CDs (45.0, 45.1, 45.2). I'm most interested in the Driver Recovery CD as I think it will help me track down a couple of drivers that I'm not able to find on the ASUS site (the motherboard is a P4S533-VX which is an OEM variant of the P4S533-VM I think).

As an aside, while this computer came with Windows XP, I've installed 98SE on it and have been able to get the drivers I've gotten on the ASUS site working just fine. I'd just like to have the original disks for posterity sake. I've seen that these disks pop up from time to time on fleabay...I'd just like to avoid that if possible. Though, if/when I do get these disks, I will be putting them up on archive.org for preservation.

Reply 1 of 6, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a complete set on eBay for $25 shipped that includes the driver CD. (V.45.0) Seller is "jays_surplus_sales". They also have the Make Offer available for the listing so you could probably get it a lot cheaper..

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 6, by retroid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-02-19, 12:45:

There's a complete set on eBay for $25 shipped that includes the driver CD. (V.45.0) Seller is "jays_surplus_sales". They also have the Make Offer available for the listing so you could probably get it a lot cheaper..

Yeah, that's what I was alluding to when I said these pop up on fleabay from time to time. I actually did make an offer before posting here but the seller isn't interested in letting it go for much less. And, I'm not desperate for these CDs; I'd just like to have them for posterity and to get drivers for the onboard LAN (something I haven't been able to track down online).

Reply 3 of 6, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The motherboard is an Asus P4B-LX. It has a Realtek 8100 PCI LAN controller. Drivers for this are available for Win9x and up on Realtek's website.

My Github

Reply 4 of 6, by retroid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-02-20, 12:57:

The motherboard is an Asus P4B-LX. It has a Realtek 8100 PCI LAN controller. Drivers for this are available for Win9x and up on Realtek's website.

Thanks but that's not my mobo model. My mobo says Asus P4S533-VX and the southbridge is SIS rather than Intel (which is what the P4B-LX uses). I'm currently using the drivers for the P4S533-VM mobo which works for everything but the onboard LAN.

Reply 5 of 6, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you loaded the SiS PCI LAN Driver 1.16e (Win98/XP) and it still doesn't work, the functionality of the chip is likely dead. SiS LAN and Realtek LAN have pretty high failure rates. If you need Ethernet, it would be best to install an Intel PCI adapter.

My Github