VOGONS

First post, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons,

Thank you for your support over the years. Having just got back to my old 486 after two years in storage and attempted to run Duke Nuke 'em on it it I've been told I don't have enough memory. Off comes the case cover and a quick look at the ram shows there's one 72pin stick containing 4 chips labelled NN5118160AJ-60.

Does anyone know if there's an equivalent ram I could use to bolster this rig up because I cant for the life of me find these sticks anywhere?

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Anthony

20200224_123037.jpg
Filename
20200224_123037.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Asus P5A v1.06, Gigabyte GA-6BXDS, Soyo SY-5EMA (faulty), Viglen 486, Asus SP97-V

Reply 1 of 15, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It will be easier finding a set of matching 72pin sticks instead of finding an exact copy of the one you have now. Then again, it's a 486, so one stick of 16 MB FP ram will do the trick as well.

Which chipset does your mainboard use? If it supports EDO ram, you might even find that kind of ram cheaper and easier on marketplaces than fast page ram.

Reply 2 of 15, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
flupke11 wrote on 2020-02-24, 22:25:

Which chipset does your mainboard use?

Good question, I'll have a look in the morning. Thanks for the reply.

Asus P5A v1.06, Gigabyte GA-6BXDS, Soyo SY-5EMA (faulty), Viglen 486, Asus SP97-V

Reply 3 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a 486, so a single 72p SIMM is a bank on its own. You don't need to pair identical modules. So long as the other module is supported by the motherboard chipset and is at least rated for the same speed (-60), you're good to go.

Shame you didn't post which motherboard you have, otherwise we could have given an authoritative answer. Also would have helped to say how many of these SIMMs you have, how many slots are free and how much RAM Duke Nukem demands.

As for the SIMM itself, NPN isn't a common DRAM brand, but googling the chip code underneath it, NN5118160AJ-60, turns up:
https://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pd … 18160AJ-60.html

Fast Page Mode CMOS 1Mx16bit Dynamic RAM

That tells us all we need to know. This is a 16Mb chip, so 2MB. Four of those makes 8MB (and as it contains 4x16=64 datalines it's electrically double-sided as well as physically). These are about as bog-standard as you can get. Any other 4MB or 8MB 60ns FP SIM with 1Mx32 or 2Mx32 struture will work in any event. Probably your board will accept 16 and 32MB modules too, but we'd need more info for that.

But quite possibly you have a different problem. Duke Nukem will run happily with 2MB or RAM. What is the exact message you are getting? Possibly you don't have enough conventional memory, which is a configuration issue, not a shortage of actual memory...

Reply 4 of 15, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had all sorts of trouble on my first 486SX with 2MB. Lots of things would run, but not always and not every time. Not sure if I had DN at the time, but I did have Terminal Velocity and ROTT, both of which would sometimes crash and tell me to go get them more RAM. There's no reason to live like that anymore. 😉 FPM sticks can be had by the bucket load on eBay.

Reply 5 of 15, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If upgrading, I suspect you can't mix single- and doublesided memory (electrically). I upgraded my 486DX2 back in the day, it had a single 8MB stick, and I added a 16MB. I don't remember if the total amount was shown as 20MB or it wouldn't run together and I removed the 8MB and put in a 4MB. But fact is - I ran 20MB total, making 4MB for a RAM drive. It totally rocked playing the demo version (one floppy) of DOOM from RAM drive .. 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 6 of 15, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies guys,

Just managed to haul my ass out of bed to crawl down to the computer for a quick photo shoot. This is the information I've managed to glean for the motherboard, DOS and Duke Nukem.

Result from DOS Mem command:

486mem.png
Filename
486mem.png
File size
46.66 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Fail message after running Duke Nukem:

486DukeNukemError.png
Filename
486DukeNukemError.png
File size
106.08 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Autoexec.bat (https://pastebin.com/MnXDkT0v):

486AutoexecBAT.png
Filename
486AutoexecBAT.png
File size
127.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Config.sys (https://pastebin.com/2yWLzenV):

486ConfigSYS.png
Filename
486ConfigSYS.png
File size
224.12 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Chipset (ALI M1429G A1):

486Chipset.png
Filename
486Chipset.png
File size
377.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Additional informat: There's only one out of a possible four 72pin 8mb ram stick installed. The static ram chips are W24257AK-15 and there are four installed out of a possible eight.

Reply 7 of 15, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Remove the smartdrv line (Or put REM in front to comment it out) and try then. This is probably the one consuming 2MB of XMS.

While you do want smartdrv in general, then being that tight on RAM, for duke3d, you have a choice of having low speed access to HDD or not being able to run duke3d at all...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 8 of 15, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-02-25, 10:52:

Remove the smartdrv line

I'll give that a go thank you.

Do you know which ram sticks I could purchase that would best fit my set up?

EDIT: IT WORKS!

20200225_110851.jpg
Filename
20200225_110851.jpg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 9 of 15, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any 72pin ram probably works. (There are EDO and FPM type memories, in general both work and i even have mixed them sometimes. Perf. difference is minimal)
Getting your machine to 32MB of RAM is a good place to be.

I've gone overkill with my Am486DX4-100 having 4x32MB EDO ram. 😜 Because not all of that can be cached by motherboard, i have 64MB (non-cached) ramdisk and other 64MB (cached) of ram is for the system itself to use.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 10 of 15, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-02-25, 11:20:

Already on it 😉

Thanks for the advice, it's exactly what I needed.

Anthony

Reply 11 of 15, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can leave smartdrv, just limit it's memory use. Caching HDD it's wise to do.

lh c:\windows\smartdrv 128

This will use 128KB of extended memory.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 12 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cookertron wrote on 2020-02-25, 10:06:
Thanks for the replies guys, […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the replies guys,

Just managed to haul my ass out of bed to crawl down to the computer for a quick photo shoot. This is the information I've managed to glean for the motherboard, DOS and Duke Nukem.

[...]

Fail message after running Duke Nukem:486DukeNukemError.png

That's not Duke Nukem but Duke Nukem 3D. It has *slightly* higher requirements. It helps if you're specific...

GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-02-25, 11:20:

Any 72pin ram probably works. (There are EDO and FPM type memories, in general both work and i even have mixed them sometimes. Perf. difference is minimal)

I've gone overkill with my Am486DX4-100 having 4x32MB EDO ram. 😜 Because not all of that can be cached by motherboard, i have 64MB (non-cached) ramdisk and other 64MB (cached) of ram is for the system itself to use.

EDO tolerance or support is very rare on 486 chipsets, actually working when mixing them even rarer... mixing only works with chipsets that tolerate EDO but don't support it. This board has a late ALi chipset that iirc has native EDO support. If so, mixing EDO and FP won't work. It's definitely not best practice. Nope, FP only.

OP has FP, upgrading with more FP will definitely work and is hardly any more difficuly or expensive than getting EDO. Just a second 8MB FP SIMM would be more than enough to run pretty much any DOS game and have some to spare for caching too.

Reply 13 of 15, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-02-25, 16:10:

Nope, FP only.

Thanks for the reply.

So I'm guessing EDO ram isn't compatible with the ALI 1429G chipset? All the motherboards I've looked at with the 1429G state FPM.

If so Booooooo, I'll have to relist the sticks I just purchased.

Anthony

Reply 14 of 15, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@cookertron, your board just might tolerate EDO ram enough so those would work without a problem. Best way to know - try it out, once you have those ram sticks in your hand. 😀

Reply 15 of 15, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-02-26, 09:20:

Best way to know - try it out, once you have those ram sticks in your hand. 😀

You betcha bottom dollar I will!

Just got my SB16 today too... amazing!