VOGONS

First post, by barleyguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since I've been pondering retro computers a lot lately, I remember my very first computer. Meaning the first computer that was just mine, as opposed to my mother's that I got to use. It was a Datavue 25. This exact variation of it:

51853db3bd0c16975c6e08a33de75a23.jpg

Mine was an 8088 with 1280k of RAM. I got it used in 1988. It came from the factory with 640K, but the guy I bought it from doubled it somehow. When the Datavue 25 booted, you could choose how much of the memory to assign to a RAMDisk. I used to assign 512K to system RAM, and 768K to RAMDisk, and I could copy two 360K floppies to the RAMDisk.

I would generally copy disks 2 and 3 of a multi floppy game to the RAMDisk, and then put Disk1 in the drive and launch the game. Then when it asked me to swap to a second disk, I would point it to the RAMDisk.

I primarily played Sierra games on this, such as Leisure Suit Larry and Police Quest. I also ran Wordstar a lot. That was my favorite word processor

I really liked this computer a lot. The IR keyboard was a little slow, but you could also hook it up with a cable. I didn't have a battery for it, but it was still cool to be able to take it places and plug it in. Also, the battery was really heavy, so it was much lighter without it.

Anyhow, did anybody else here have a Datavue portable?

Cheers,

Harley.

Reply 1 of 2, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just acquired one of these. I bought relatively cheap as a derelict. It arrived yesterday and I got it working last night. No hard drive and only a 360k floppy drive is going to make it interesting to use.

Reply 2 of 2, by dvejr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I own one! In my basement 30 years now, worked when I put it away....
It was actually a Japanese machine called a Sotec-16, rebranded for US sale by Quadram Computing, which mostly sold RAM cards, I believe. Mine is the 220 volt version, bought in Singapore. A later version had a 20MB hard drive, and I think there was a dual-floppy version, also.