VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eeJay wrote on 2020-03-08, 13:05:
Well, the 7-segment display showing the wrong value could be easily remedied by changing System Boot Up CPU Speed to Low. And th […]
Show full quote

Well, the 7-segment display showing the wrong value could be easily remedied by changing System Boot Up CPU Speed to Low. And then pressing the turbo button would bring it to 40, so an inverse turbo of some kind.
As for the hard drives, I have the following information:
One is a Maxtor, no set-up data on the label (probably the boot drive). The other one is a WD; set-up data is on the label (shouldn't be a problem to set up, but probably isn't the boot drive).

Any ideas on what values to use in CMOS for that Maxtor drive?

Thanks and br

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/ … -SL-IDE-AT.html

J13/J14 PCBA 38 Power-up Configuration
------------------------------------------
J14 J13 Cyl Hds Sec MB
---------------------------------------------------------
7120A CLOSED CLOSED 936 16 17 130.3 (default)

It took me approx. 10 seconds to find that via google.

Reply 21 of 22, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eeJay wrote on 2020-03-08, 13:05:
Well, the 7-segment display showing the wrong value could be easily remedied by changing System Boot Up CPU Speed to Low. And th […]
Show full quote

Well, the 7-segment display showing the wrong value could be easily remedied by changing System Boot Up CPU Speed to Low. And then pressing the turbo button would bring it to 40, so an inverse turbo of some kind.
As for the hard drives, I have the following information:
One is a Maxtor, no set-up data on the label (probably the boot drive). The other one is a WD; set-up data is on the label (shouldn't be a problem to set up, but probably isn't the boot drive).

Any ideas on what values to use in CMOS for that Maxtor drive?

Thanks and br

I have both of those drives! love them, the WD has a very comforting seek noise and the maxtor is musical in its own way

936cyl 16heads 17sectors (WPcomp 65535, LZ 936)

Reply 22 of 22, by eeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey CoffeeOne,
thank you very much! This is my first 386 PC and I never had to enter those parameters manually before.
So I decided to ask beforehand, instead of entering the wrongs settings and possibly bricking the CMOS, extending the wait for another 48 hours (== waiting for the CMOS battery to drain again).

Br