VOGONS

First post, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have difficulties getting my Acculogic RAMpAT! running.

IMG_8246r.jpg
Filename
IMG_8246r.jpg
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I have downloaded the driver disk and boot from the disk image. All I get is the following screen:

IMG_8364x.jpg
Filename
IMG_8364x.jpg
File size
520.24 KiB
Views
File license

There is no card-RAM detected. It doesent matter at all if the card is installed or not..! If have tried several known working Simms but no change.

What is wrong? Is this caused by the empty Dallas DS1292? Or is the fault somewhere else.

So it would be nice to know if somebody has such card running? The battery should be empty in all cards in the mean time? Or do I have to start somewhere else...?

Thank you! 😀

DS1292 Datasheet:

Filename
ds1292.pdf
File size
301.91 KiB
Downloads
82 downloads
File license
Last edited by Predator99 on 2020-03-07, 08:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 48, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How many chips are on your SIMMs?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 48, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a pretty good chance the battery in that Dallas module is dead and with lack of settings that can be retained it may malfunction like that.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 48, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I "eliminated" the Dallas Eliminator 😉

When comparing to the datasheet the Pins 1+24 are missing on the Dallas. I assume these are bent to the top and the battery is connected there? Does it makes sense to start at this location to look for the battery?
Unfortunately there is not much to find about DS1292 or fixing its battery...

IMG_8382r.jpg
Filename
IMG_8382r.jpg
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 5 of 48, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, battery is most probably right there and I would start grinding it open at that end, it shouldn't take a lot of effort to get access to the battery terminals. You will probably need to grind enough to identify the postive or negative terminal to be sure things are correct since reverse connection often causes damage.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 48, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry but do not think you will find a battery off pins 1 and 24. I DL'd the 160Mb Dallas book off Archive org and it says those pins are Ground and only present on the DS1293. There is a battery in there but darn if I can figure figure out how to get to it by pins (maybe cut the whole top cover off ?). Attached the scans in case someone else wants to take a look (sorry the orig scan were small)
Good luck Predator99 !

edit: fixed bad grammar due to having a few beers ;p

Attachments

• Filename
    DS1292_datasheet.zip
    File size
    721.14 KiB
    Downloads
    72 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 48, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for your replies!

I already attached the datasheet under my initial post, thanks for searching again anyway 😉 Its confusing as in the datasheet the DS1292 has 24 pins. But my specimen has only 22 pins.
I understand both the 1292 and the 1293 have 24 pins according to the datasheet.

Picture: Look again 😉 The IC with the circle is the desoldered DS1292 with pins showing up 😁

Last edited by Predator99 on 2020-03-08, 09:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 48, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have to admit not the nicest work I did here 🙁

I was right the baterry is connected to Pins 1+24. But there was no Charge left at all so I had to dig further to see where is + and -.

The battery is not labeled but I assume its (+) on the top and 3V....

I really like these Dallas Chips....

d1.jpg
Filename
d1.jpg
File size
150.88 KiB
Views
File license
d3.jpg
Filename
d3.jpg
File size
216.88 KiB
Views
File license
d2.jpg
Filename
d2.jpg
File size
219.88 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 12 of 48, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good cut job ! On all the Dallas I frankensteined, the battery - is also grounded and they are 3v. Using a good DVM measure Ohms from pin 12 (chip GND) to the battery and you should be able to verify which part of the batt is the - side.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-11, 03:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13 of 48, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait...chip ground is (-) ?

I assumed the top side of the battery is (+). But the top side of the battery is connected to Pin 1. And there is a connection between Pin 1 and Pin 12 (GND).

That mean the top side of the Battery is the (-) side..?!

ds.jpg
Filename
ds.jpg
File size
489.78 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 14 of 48, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also verified Pin 12 (GND) assigment is correct as the corresponding mounting hole is connected to ISA-GND (green).

ds.jpg
Filename
ds.jpg
File size
495.69 KiB
Views
File license

Battery top connects to Pin 1:

ds2.jpg
Filename
ds2.jpg
File size
23.34 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-11, 03:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 48, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote on 2020-03-08, 15:22:

Wait...chip ground is (-) ?
I assumed the top side of the battery is (+). But the top side of the battery is connected to Pin 1. And there is a connection between Pin 1 and Pin 12 (GND).

That mean the top side of the Battery is the (-) side..?!

Yes ! Just like the DS1287, the batt - is on top and does go to ground, like in this picture

Attachments

• Dallas RTC fix.jpg
    Filename
    Dallas RTC fix.jpg
    File size
    36.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 17 of 48, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could put a small signal diode in series with the new batteries + as a first test. I did with a DS1587 (which are impossible to find), test worked and removed the diode, now has battery wired direct to it.

Reply 19 of 48, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks good to me ! I used the diode as a micro 50mA fuse but a 100 ohm resistor would limit the current too. Think I was being a bit over careful and over thinking things when I did that 😁