VOGONS

First post, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm hoping someone might have an idea or two to try, as I'm at my wits end getting a 3.5 floppy drive to work on my 386 build.

Motherboard is a UMC of somekind. Not sure on the specific model but has UM82C491F / 9480S / RM0308 written on the board (see photo attached).

The system seems to detect that a floppy drive is there (and if not there, it will give an error) and makes that noise on boot, but I am unable to boot from any disk nor is DOS able to read anything - "General failure reading Drive A". Attempting to format a disk also fails.

I have tried 3 different drives, 3 sets of cables (in all possible ways) and 3 different controller cards (all from the 90s, so surely wouldn't be stuck reading only 720KB disks?). The drives and cables are verified as working on other machines. I've double checked the right kind of floppy drive is selected in the BIOS.

I have no issue with IDE drives on this machine using the same controller cards I've tried the floppy drives on. They are detected and boot up just fine. I also have a CD-ROM as a slave on the same IDE channel as the hard drive, and it too works flawlessly. No jumpers on the cards to configure.

I've tried removing everything except the controller card and video card to rule out resource conflicts or weird conflicts with any other cards. No dice.

Anything else I might attempt? Getting quite stumped.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    559.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 1, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok could be a few things. One is the DMA controller part of UMC 491, two is the 14.318khz xtal (think it is Y2 on your board) or something wrong with the traces that are required.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun