VOGONS

HWiNFO for DOS resurrected !

Topic actions

Reply 400 of 884, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, the L1 cache is definately enabled. In DOOM, I see 12.2 fps with L1 enabled and 6.9 fps with L1 disabled.

CHKCPU also shows L1 as enabled.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 404 of 884, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder, do you thing that is possible on modern NVIDIA/ATI/AMD cards in detect somehow actual GPU and Memory clocks? Because it would help my dos benchmarking project a lot - Old+Modern videocards pure DOS benchmarking- which one is fastest?, need your numbers + analysis, 320x200 to 1600x1200!

Because these cards are have some basic/boot clocks until drivers are loaded, which are used for Dos too, so DOS performance is often related to it, or at least that is my guess why performance is far from their raw horsepower in 2D.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 405 of 884, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote on 2020-04-30, 19:49:

I wonder, do you thing that is possible on modern NVIDIA/ATI/AMD cards in detect somehow actual GPU and Memory clocks? Because it would help my dos benchmarking project a lot - Old+Modern videocards pure DOS benchmarking- which one is fastest?, need your numbers + analysis, 320x200 to 1600x1200!

Because these cards are have some basic/boot clocks until drivers are loaded, which are used for Dos too, so DOS performance is often related to it, or at least that is my guess why performance is far from their raw horsepower in 2D.

In DOS? For later NVIDIA GPUs this won't be possible as the register-level documentation is impossible to get; in Windows all tools rely on NVAPI.
For AMD it might be possible, but quite difficult to implement. Access to some resources would require access to memory mapped registers, so probably protected mode.

Reply 406 of 884, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes in Dos.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 407 of 884, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ported the NVclock utility to DOS years ago (available for download on my website) that can read and set timings of some older nvidia cards (pre-G80) but no way for modern cards as there's no documentation (there are thousands of memory mapped registers...).

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 408 of 884, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mumak wrote on 2020-04-30, 19:09:
feipoa wrote on 2020-04-30, 18:53:

How about move? I'd have to play with various cache testing software to see if anything can pickup the L1.

No problem, go ahead :)

Attached are two programs which can measure the speed difference between L1 and L2 cache when using a Cyrix DRx2. Not much change for write speed, but read and move show about twice the speed for L1 vs. L2 cache. Were you able to update HWiNFO to detect 1K of L1 cache on this chip?

Attachments

Reply 409 of 884, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2020-05-01, 10:46:

How about move? I'd have to play with various cache testing software to see if anything can pickup the L1.

No problem, go ahead 😀

Attached are two programs which can measure the speed difference between L1 and L2 cache when using a Cyrix DRx2. Not much change for write speed, but read and move show about twice the speed for L1 vs. L2 cache. Were you able to update HWiNFO to detect 1K of L1 cache on this chip?

Not yet 🙁 I'm still looking into that but can't figure out why the heck it's giving me numbers as if there would be no performance improvement for 1K..

Reply 410 of 884, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2020-05-01, 10:46:

No problem, go ahead 😀

Please try this build whether it gives different numbers for cache access:
[build pulled, newer available]

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-05-06, 14:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 411 of 884, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RayeR wrote on 2020-04-30, 20:57:

I ported the NVclock utility to DOS years ago (available for download on my website) that can read and set timings of some older nvidia cards (pre-G80) but no way for modern cards as there's no documentation (there are thousands of memory mapped registers...).

Fine, G80 = Geforce 8800, that is old. BTW which is first Nvidia card which are using 2 or more clocks, for boot / 2D / 3D?

Reply 412 of 884, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Uh, I don't remmeber. There also was a tool Nibitor (nvidia BIOS editor) that could set some clock rates but also for old cards...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 413 of 884, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hiya,

just got around to trying the latest version on the Compaq Presario 2232 again, all seems to be well now, no lock up on soundcard detection and CPU clocks seem to be stable too. Great stuff! Only anomaly I can see is clock speed of the FPU, but hey I'm not nitpicking!

DSC_0221.JPG
Filename
DSC_0221.JPG
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSC_0224.JPG
Filename
DSC_0224.JPG
File size
999.46 KiB
Views
File license
DSC_0222.JPG
Filename
DSC_0222.JPG
File size
961.05 KiB
Views
File license
DSC_0223.JPG
Filename
DSC_0223.JPG
File size
907.93 KiB
Views
File license

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 414 of 884, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BSA Starfire wrote on 2020-05-02, 14:43:
Hiya, […]
Show full quote

Hiya,

just got around to trying the latest version on the Compaq Presario 2232 again, all seems to be well now, no lock up on soundcard detection and CPU clocks seem to be stable too. Great stuff! Only anomaly I can see is clock speed of the FPU, but hey I'm not nitpicking!
DSC_0221.JPG
DSC_0224.JPG
DSC_0222.JPG
DSC_0223.JPG

Thanks for the feedback! Could you please create a full report file and attach?

Reply 415 of 884, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DRx2-66 running on the PANDA board.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    30.72 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File license

Reply 416 of 884, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally did Navratils system info vs HWinfo comparison
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SSGKk … dit?usp=sharing // Comment are enabled.

I was right in the past, Navratil has much more options.. of course that we can discuss if such options make sense.. but i didnt find any obliviously useless ones.
Also i mapping can be wrong, because i simply could miss some HWinfo info option.

For me personally Navratil has also better user experience - easier navigation, works in all memory modes, its more PCem, virtuals friendly.

Its not some competition in normal sense, so i will gladly use both. I did this comparison to help, show where is Navratil additional value so far, not to complain too much.. but you know me, im goal oriented:)

Reply 417 of 884, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote on 2020-05-03, 13:06:
I finally did Navratils system info vs HWinfo comparison https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SSGKk … dit?usp=sharing // Co […]
Show full quote

I finally did Navratils system info vs HWinfo comparison
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SSGKk … dit?usp=sharing // Comment are enabled.

I was right in the past, Navratil has much more options.. of course that we can discuss if such options make sense.. but i didnt find any obliviously useless ones.
Also i mapping can be wrong, because i simply could miss some HWinfo info option.

For me personally Navratil has also better user experience - easier navigation, works in all memory modes, its more PCem, virtuals friendly.

Its not some competition in normal sense, so i will gladly use both. I did this comparison to help, show where is Navratil additional value so far, not to complain too much.. but you know me, im goal oriented:)

Thanks for the comparison, I will check it in more detail. For now just a question - which sound card was in that machine where HWiNFO reported PS1 only?

Reply 418 of 884, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Latest debug and log file from HWiNFO DOS on DRx2-66 w/PANDA motherboard.

HWiNFO is reporting only 64K of L2 cache. Should be 256K. L1 still absent.

Attachments

Reply 419 of 884, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-05-03, 13:34:

Which sound card was in that machine where HWiNFO reported PS1 only?

Emulated SB16, i started with testing on real HW, but i quickly realized that all menus are the same.. so if some detection is not working, there are is at least item with unknown value etc.. i retested few options on real HW, but it was same (but more time consuming) - from list of parameters. Almost all my Navratil tests are from PCem, Vmware and Dosbox, there it just works, i did later same for HWinfo.
If sure that for some items are is more informations for real HW, i can retest it.. but only difference which i saw so really emulated SB16 and drivers detection - which simply can work in DosBox, PCem should be on 99% same.