VOGONS

First post, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having some trouble with a retro build of mine.
It's a WINXP 32-bit system using a ga-vm900m for the MB. I've added 2 GB of RAM and a 2.5-ish GHZ Intel Celeron D and a XFX 6600 GT 128 MB for the GPU. I was using the onboard audio, since it had drivers that worked for WINXP.
It was working fine, but I thought it a bit underpowered to play some of the things I wanted to play (like Oblivion), so I added a GT520 to it, and installed the drivers. While the graphics improved, it also was much slower, which I think would have been due to a bottleneck.
I switched it all back to my original configuration, and restarted it. Now, it will POST ok (I get only a single beep when it POSTs) but once WINXP loads up, the monitor shuts off spontaneously. I have tried to reinstall WINXP, but I still get the same problem of the monitor shuttingf down. The keyboard I have plugged in still has its lights lit (Numlock, CAPS lock, Scroll lock) and toggleable.
When I try to turn it on, it sometimes goes on and sometimes doesn't.
Occasionally, the boot info shows the wrong CPU, saying it's a 1.8-ish GHZ unit.

Reply 2 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was this a clean reinstall of windows?
If your screen is ok during the setup screens and the XP load screens and shuts off at teh desktop sounds like driver issue or its set to a resolution the screen doesn't support.
If you boot into safe mode can you get the desktop? and if you can try deleting the adapter in Device manager and seeing how it goes using just the standard vga driver

Reply 3 of 7, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now, it won't start up and the DVD_ROM won't open when it is powering up. I push the button, and I hear the mechanisms move, but it doesn't open. And, the last time I watched the POST, it listed the CPU as the wrong speed; much lower than it really is.

EDIT: Just tried it in Safe Mode, and while working on it, the system just turned off. It's most likely a power supply issue at this point

Reply 4 of 7, by Emu10k1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gazirra wrote on 2020-03-22, 19:35:

the DVD_ROM won't open when it is powering up. I push the button, and I hear the mechanisms move, but it doesn't open.

This is probably unrelated to the main problem. you should open that dvd and clean it properly.

Gazirra wrote on 2020-03-22, 19:35:

And, the last time I watched the POST, it listed the CPU as the wrong speed; much lower than it really is.

is the cpu frequency setted up correctly? I had an old athlon xp that would do similar things on low freq. Try to take out the battery fo a while to clear cmos and then enter bios.

Reply 5 of 7, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I reset the CMOS and reinstalled the proper GPU drivers. System is now up and running normally.
Gonna clean out that DVD now.

EDIT: Alright, cleaning the drive is a bit beyond my immediate knowledge. Luckily, I had a compatible IDE drive floating around.

Reply 6 of 7, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, it was working fine for a time. I had reinstalled the original graphics card, a functioning IDE DVD drive, and I had it working for nearly an hour straight.
I then tried to install a new graphics card and upgraded the RAM. The new card is a Dell Genuine ATI Radeon HD 4450. I had it working for awhile, sitting on the screen saver, which didn't work at the time of the first post of this thread.
I then moved it to where I had it last prior to all the current problems. When I had moved the system, it went back to shutting down randomly

Reply 7 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get a decent PSU like seasonic 650W, get GTX 7900 GTO which will not break your older games this way. I'm waiting for parts to finish my XP computer as well for this purpose.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.