VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by RussD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-03-25, 20:37:
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-25, 17:41:

That's not the same, because you have no shielding to discharge any electric charge between the PC and the device you plug in when using a plastic i/o shield.

But just as with ESD, people tend not to listen. It's just a word of warning. You are free to use a 3d-printed i/o shield if you don't care.

Sammler, as long as the ports themselves are connected to the PCB ground plane (which they are) there is no reason for extra grounding through the IO plate. What you say does not make sense electrically..

High speed signals work differently than DC. When you have a high speed signal, such as noise or ESD, you don't want that signal to travel through the motherboard. In the case of noise it can cause interference or in the reverse direction, radiate it. In the case of ESD, it can cause damage to components. The IO shield and case provide a better path for those high frequency signals to travel, without it 100% of that will go into your motherboard, and since it's high frequency, not just the ground plane.

Reply 21 of 26, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it would be pretty cool to make these out of pcb. They could even screw onto the parallel and serial ports for mounting.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 23 of 26, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Plasma wrote on 2022-06-28, 09:51:

NuXT uses a PCB I/O shield. I'm surprised nobody sells a generic 440BX one.

Yeah considering JLCPCB produces them for dirt cheap shipped.

I mean.. I should probably make some AT ones myself. What is the best software to do this in?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24 of 26, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

KiCAD would be simple and quick. Getting the measurements right can be done by printing 1:1 size on paper of your PCB design and comparing it to the motherboard. Once it is designed with the proper hole placement, you can send the design to JLC. They should be maybe $8 for 5 boards based on the size. You can also give the board copper fill for actual EMI/RFI protection. Just leave some exposed areas with no solder mask so it touches the I/O ground shrouds on the rear size and the case on the front side.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 26 of 26, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-06-28, 19:02:

Grounding issues notwithstanding, the 3d print shields are pretty much pieces of shit. It's just a poor application for plastic.

I wonder if solder wick could be used for pcb style to form a bond to the case

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)