VOGONS

First post, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is the function of the little potentiometers that seem to be present on most XT and a lot of 286 motherboards?

There's no onboard video signal, so it wouldn't be related to brightness/intensity there, and they're present on boards that don't have CMOS memory or batteries, so it couldn't be part of the charging circuit.

Does it maybe have something to do with clock generation from passive crystals (and ceramic resonators)?

On my EAT-12 286 board, there's two of them, one right next to the realtime clock crystal and another next to the 14.3 MHz keyboard controller crystal. (the latter might be used for the ISA bus and/or FPU clock on boards)

There doesn't appear to be a third one to complement the 24 MHz crystal, though.

I assume these are factory set and not normally user (or technician) adjusted, but they're quite clearly screwdriver adjustable from the top, and could've been messed with at some point (or might do better with adjustment for other reasons, maybe if ceramic or film type capaictors in these circuits age at all).

I'd like to know if mis-adjustment might damage anything and/or just cause instability (or complete failure to POST).

I'm trying to troubleshoot why that EAT-12 board now fails to POST at all after seeming to work OK when I got it (and finally getting around trying out booting DOS on an IDE drive), but the day after that test it stopped POSTing at all. (lots of other possible factors, including oxidized or worn/non-springy DRAM sockets and the fact I swapped out RAM several times previously, and swapped the QUADTEL BIOS for an AMI one from a similar ACT chipset based board, among other things: though corrosion in the battery area is minimal and nowhere near the RAM, the sockets on the board in general seem fairly dirty and/or oxidized)

It's the same chipset as is on "Kixs's 286 to the Max" board, so a relatively fast one but no EMS support and apparently no upper memory support in RAM either. (maybe reserving that for ISA card RAM expansion, and maps 384kB of the first 1MB of RAM into the HMA, so you get more XMS RAM for what that's worth: not as nice for real-mode stuff, though)
Kixs's 286 to the Max

But I'll make a separate topic for that board (or boards), and maybe the ACT chipset in general. (I was about to do the latter when my board sopped working)

Anyway, here's pics of the sort of pots being used. (the little roundish brown things with a hole in the top and gray adjustment knob inside; one next to the 14.3 MHz crystal, to the left of the ACT chip in img 1315, and the other on the upper right, next to the front pannel I/O header pins, next to the tiny, cylindrical clock crystal: presumably 35,768 Hz)

Attachments

• IMG_1315.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1315.JPG
    File size
    577.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_1314.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1314.JPG
    File size
    579.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those are not potentiometers but trimmer caps. They are used to tune the relevant freq exact at a given temperature.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 3, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CGA cards have no crystal on their own, instead they use the 14.31818 MHz clock from the crystal on the mobo - they use it as pixel clock, and for NTSC signal on the Composite output.
The trimmer is used to fine-tune the crystal's frequency so to achieve proper color on the Composite.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 3 of 3, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, those are also trimmer caps in the video circuits on some old home computers and game consoles. I think I've seen some on Atari 8-bit computers, and inside VCS (2600) systems. I think inside 7800s too.

All of those output digital chroma and luma signals and require external resister ladder DACs, I think. (or resistor ladders for the luma element and the chroma is output on a single pin and handled differently ... and probably already modulated to the colorburst frequency) Those systems also use integer multiples or fractions of the NTSC color clock to simplify that.

I think the PAL versions have to jump through some other hoops to work.

Anyway, could one of those trimmer pots die without warning or other symptoms, or would they tend to be more obvious if killed from damage/malfunction like ceramic caps ... or more dramatic like tantalum or electrolytic ones failing? (popping, not electrolyte leaking, unless the trimmer caps can be electrolytic)

I'm assuming these aren't just tiny versions of the metal-plate stacked rotary capacitors used in old radios and televisions. (obviously the basic function is the same, but I mean the materials and specific mechanism being used)