VOGONS

First post, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a dell System 486p. It has the latest bios A12. It was given to me in a different case. Howver the board works completely fine, but there is litterally -nothing- about this system in anything but magazines. I've managed to find SOME old dell drivers, but that's about it, no idea if there is more. IF anyone knows wher ei can find a recovery set ot anything for this machine I'd be grateful.

It has 4mb ram, the 1mb graphics ram upgrade. an right now an SX-25 set at 33. (ithas a fan and heatsink on it) no isa gpu to put in it unfortunately 🙁 and a soundcard.

In what i could find from web archive It says it supports a dx4100. I have a Cyrix DX-4 100 It's 3.45v and set the jumper to 33mhz, but i get a 2-2-1-1 beep code which means in a phoenix bios Display CPU type and speed??? whats that 🤣. Put in my SX-25 and it works fine. It's a horrid LIF socket 🤣
There are no voltage jumpers, just speed setting and others to do with irq and newer or older IDE drives.
Otherwise i am not really sure what's going on. This machine seems extremely obtuse.

Summary: Looking for any and all drivers, any and all software. It runs windows 3.1

I did archive the webpages though.
https://web.archive.org/web/19970225115132/ht … 6P/00000002.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/19970805014552/ht … 016.htm#General

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KitsuneFoxy wrote on 2020-04-04, 13:50:
I have a dell System 486p. It has the latest bios A12. It was given to me in a different case. Howver the board works completely […]
Show full quote

I have a dell System 486p. It has the latest bios A12. It was given to me in a different case. Howver the board works completely fine, but there is litterally -nothing- about this system in anything but magazines. I've managed to find SOME old dell drivers, but that's about it, no idea if there is more. IF anyone knows wher ei can find a recovery set ot anything for this machine I'd be grateful.

It has 4mb ram, the 1mb graphics ram upgrade. an right now an SX-25 set at 33. (ithas a fan and heatsink on it) no isa gpu to put in it unfortunately 🙁 and a soundcard.

In what i could find from web archive It says it supports a dx4100. I have a Cyrix DX-4 100 It's 3.45v and set the jumper to 33mhz, but i get a 2-2-1-1 beep code which means in a phoenix bios Display CPU type and speed??? whats that 🤣. Put in my SX-25 and it works fine. It's a horrid LIF socket 🤣
There are no voltage jumpers, just speed setting and others to do with irq and newer or older IDE drives.
Otherwise i am not really sure what's going on. This machine seems extremely obtuse.

Summary: Looking for any and all drivers, any and all software. It runs windows 3.1

I did archive the webpages though.
https://web.archive.org/web/19970225115132/ht … 6P/00000002.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/19970805014552/ht … 016.htm#General

Seems to be quite simple, that board does not have support for 3V CPUs.
So to run that cpu you need a voltage adapter socket in between.
But - what is also possible - that Cyrix CPUs won't work at all because of the BIOS.

Since you have now a SX-25, your external clock rate is now 25MHz.
https://web.archive.org/web/19970804133836/ht … 6P/00000004.htm
1)
External clock can be set to 33MHz according that page.
2)
There are only Intel CPUs listed there, so best thing is that you try to get an Intel ODPR100 (DX4 - 100 with integrated voltage adapter and heatsink)
When you have such a CPU, you should also change ext. clock to 33MHz, otherwise it will run only at 75MHz.

EDIT: Sorry, you are already running the board at 33MHz, so forget that part 😁

Reply 2 of 4, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-04, 14:58:
Seems to be quite simple, that board does not have support for 3V CPUs. So to run that cpu you need a voltage adapter socket in […]
Show full quote

But - what is also possible - that Cyrix CPUs won't work at all because of the BIOS.

1)
2)
There are only Intel CPUs listed there, so best thing is that you try to get an Intel ODPR100 (DX4 - 100 with integrated voltage adapter and heatsink)
When you have such a CPU, you should also change ext. clock to 33MHz, otherwise it will run only at 75MHz.

Well thank you very much for the information!
I have absolutely no idea where i could even get a Voltage Adapter for such an old system.

I set my external clock rate to 33 for my 25. It works fine as a SX-33

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-04-08, 22:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KitsuneFoxy wrote on 2020-04-04, 15:03:
Well thank you very much for the information! I have absolutely no idea where i could even get a Voltage Adapter for such an ol […]
Show full quote
Seems to be quite simple, that board does not have support for 3V CPUs. So to run that cpu you need a voltage adapter socket in […]
Show full quote

1)
2)

I have absolutely no idea where i could even get a Voltage Adapter for such an old system.

You are right, those socket adapters are not easy to find.
So look for Intel Overdrive 66MHz or 100MHz, they are easier to get.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-04-08, 22:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-04, 15:07:
KitsuneFoxy wrote on 2020-04-04, 15:03:
Well thank you very much for the information! I have absolutely no idea where i could even get a Voltage Adapter for such an ol […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

1)
2)

You are right, those socket adapters are not easy to find.
So look for Intel Overdrive 66MHz or 100MHz, they are easier to get.

I will keep an eye out.

Still after drivers and any software for this thing.
As far as i know the GPU Is an WD90CX (1Mb)