VOGONS

First post, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heelo fellows

Hi have a Zida Tomato 4DPS 2.11 with a dx4-100 + 32mb fpm..
Installed a 1GB CF-Card, using ontrack. everything looks ok..execpt for the mouse.

I'm usinf bios 1.72f

so i've downloaded the CTmouse 1.9 -> put the line in autoexec.bat -> c:\utils\mouse\ctmouse.exe

put the cable in com1, the red stripe is in pin 1.. in bios put the comA and comB in auto..

when loading dos 6.22, it's says, cute mouse installed in com1 (03f8h/irq4) in mouse systems mode..

Seens instaled but i have no mouse, in dos or in windows.. tried diferent serial mouse's -> nothing. change the wndows setup for logitech -> nothing

THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY... what happening ?

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 2 of 9, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

update, after some searching in the web, i have a funworl logo on my boot screen.. this means i have a different bios ? but is marked 1,72f

derSammler - > what do you mean ? i've tested like 3 cables.. all look exaccly the same...

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1

Reply 3 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nuno14272 wrote on 2020-04-06, 10:51:

derSammler - > what do you mean ? i've tested like 3 cables.. all look exaccly the same...

The wiring can be either pin 1>1, pin 2>2, etc. (left to right-order), or pin 1>1, pin 2>6, pin 3>2, etc. (zigzag-order)

You can't see the wiring from the outside and only the cable with the wiring used by the mainboard will work.

Last edited by derSammler on 2020-04-06, 11:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It depends which motherboard. There are two standards and you can't visually make the difference between the two.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

so.. it's diferent from other boards ?

It's about the pins inside the COM connector. Printing on the mainboard is always the same. As said, you can't see the wiring from the outside, nor is there any way to tell which of the two you need if you don't have the ones that came with the board. So you need to try both variants if one is not working.

Reply 7 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes this is exactly what derSammler says, new COM cables will not work with older systems, the change was made in p1 era AFAIK

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 9, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

update 1) the bord as a PS/2 header... if i use it... the keyboard stops responding.. doesn't wor any more.. strange..

update2) if i use a ISA COM card (just adds two more com ports, the mouse doesn't work either...

update 3) if i install a ISA IDE card.. (for old computer wihthout ide onbord), the mouse works.... for about, 3 or 4 seconds.. them the mouse freezes... either in dos or windows 3.11..

i'm getting out of ideas

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1

Reply 9 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've read that depending of the BIOS revision, the PS/2 port doesn't work well.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative