VOGONS

First post, by Frunzl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I recently built myself a Socket 7 system to pass a little lockdown-time. Now that I got it up and running and upon doing some benchmarks, I realize that my performance is pretty abysmal compared so similar setups...
Not that it matters a lot in a retro system, but I still would like to know if there is something crippling the system... some help/suggestions would be highly appreciated!!

Here are the specs:
Zida 5SVA Motherboard with VIA Apollo VPX chipset (PCI only), FSB set to 75 MHz
AMD K6-3 400 CPU @ 450 MHz (6 * 75)
256 MB SDRAM (set to CL2)
Voodoo3 2000 PCI (OCd to 3000 specs, i.e. 166 MHz Core/Mem)
Win 98SE running on a 128 GB SSD on an IDE-SATA adapter connected to a UDMA-5 PCI IDE controller (lots of adapting going on but atto gives me around 50 megs/s...)

For example, in 3DMark2000 I get a score of around 1100, whereas Phil from Philscomputerlab gets 1800 with a pretty similar setup, although he is running a K6-3+ at FSB 100 and 550 MHz.
Could the higher FSB and Clock alone account for this huge difference? I was initially running at 400 MHz, 66 MHz FSB and got a score of 1000 (vs 1100 now), so only about 10% improvement by raising FSB and Clock.

I think there must be sthg else going on... again, any comment is welcome!

Reply 1 of 7, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Frunzl wrote on 2020-04-08, 08:05:

Phil from Philscomputerlab gets 1800 with a pretty similar setup, although he is running a K6-3+ at FSB 100 and 550 MHz

Define "pretty similar setup".
There's a lot of things that can be different, motherboard model (chipset can make a big difference). Then there's drivers, especially for videocard. Then you got other devices, each device with his driver, maybe you have a soundcard that can slow down the entire system a little.

Reply 2 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could the higher FSB and Clock alone account for this huge difference? I was initially running at 400 MHz, 66 MHz FSB and got a score of 1000 (vs 1100 now), so only about 10% improvement by raising FSB and Clock.

If you raised the FSB by 13% and got an overall improvement of 10%, you pretty much have the answer. 100 MHz FSB means another 33% more than yours. The rest is probably due to carefully chosen drivers and a faster chipset.

ps: why all that overclocking if you even state: "Not that it matters a lot in a retro system". Want to kill the old hardware as fast as possible?

Reply 3 of 7, by Frunzl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I thought about the chipset version too.
I dont remember exactly, what Phil was using, but it was more modern obviously, since it ran 100 FSB.

Also, it had AGP, which mine doesnt, but I think, the GPU is bottlenecked by sthg else anyway, since benchmark results are pretty identical all the way from 640x480 to 1024x768.

@derSammler: you are probably right, I just wanted a few ideas. And no Sir, I do not try to kill my hardware, I am just trying to cover the largest possible period of games with a single setup. I also run very decent cooling, dont overvolt the parts and use them quite moderately in general. For me, it's more about getting it to run and benchmarking.

Reply 4 of 7, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Frunzl wrote on 2020-04-08, 09:30:
Yes, I thought about the chipset version too. I dont remember exactly, what Phil was using, but it was more modern obviously, si […]
Show full quote

Yes, I thought about the chipset version too.
I dont remember exactly, what Phil was using, but it was more modern obviously, since it ran 100 FSB.

Also, it had AGP, which mine doesnt, but I think, the GPU is bottlenecked by sthg else anyway, since benchmark results are pretty identical all the way from 640x480 to 1024x768.

@derSammler: you are probably right, I just wanted a few ideas. And no Sir, I do not try to kill my hardware, I am just trying to cover the largest possible period of games with a single setup. I also run very decent cooling, dont overvolt the parts and use them quite moderately in general. For me, it's more about getting it to run and benchmarking.

Hello,

I agree with the others, you already identified important points by yourself, too.
So:
100MHz FSB vs. 75MHz FSB (most likely the ram runs with FSB speed)
AGP vs PCI bandwidth
550MHz vs. 450MHz.

So all in all, I would say your value is pretty good.

Reply 5 of 7, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Zida 5SVA Motherboard with VIA Apollo VPX chipset (PCI only), FSB set to 75 MHz
AMD K6-3 400 CPU @ 450 MHz (6 * 75)

Hi, can you please write how your jumpers are set up for this frequency (JP2 and JP6)? I'm trying to set it up for K6-2, but it's not working: JP6 on 1-3, 4-6 and JP2 on 1-2 for this CPU does not boot PC (one long beep and a series of short ones) , JP2 on 2-3 gives FSB 60MHz. Mine is rev. 1.2. Thank you.

Reply 6 of 7, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Revision 1.2 and 1.3 of Zida Tomato 5SVA are different, here it is mentioned:
https://www.svethardware.cz/zakladni-deska-tomato-5sva/1352
(use translator)

for k6-2 266 Mhz and higher, you need to use version 1.3 of the board.
ver: 1.2 works only up to K6-2 233 Mhz.
also BIOS needs to be 1.40 or higher.