VOGONS

First post, by LukeLovesRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, sorry it has been so long since my last post(orher commitments) though covid has allowed me to dig out old projects. Anyhow i have recently been trying to track down the manufacturer of this griphics card with very little luck other than nec so the point at hand, does anybody know who this logo belongs to. Any help greatly appreciated.

20200424_075952.jpg
Filename
20200424_075952.jpg
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 15, by LukeLovesRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, other card details are Paradise'88 pvga1a-jk chipset and is a 16bit card not 8bit but can be set to 8bit operation. I could not find any info on stason but have figured out 2 of the 3 jumper settings and will post to stason with card info when i find the manufacturer/card name.

Reply 2 of 15, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you post a high res pic of the rest of the card? I usually do a google search with any possible brand names plus the type of chip on the card if I'm having trouble identifying something.

Though I will say, that is a very tiny logo and one I've not seen before. Could be something more related to the design of the PCB rather than the name brand of the card itself.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 15, by LukeLovesRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pic's of card though all i can seem to turn up is generic paradise/western digital info though i know its not a western digital card just the chipset.

20200424_114554.jpg
Filename
20200424_114554.jpg
File size
1.91 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20200424_114614.jpg
Filename
20200424_114614.jpg
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20200424_114634.jpg
Filename
20200424_114634.jpg
File size
1.55 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 5 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It probably came in an NEC desktop computer. I bet it was even manufactured by NEC.

That 136-45???. etc. number is the OEM part number. What is the rest of that number. I can't quite make it out.

Here is a card with the same G8BYL labeling though it says it had a TI chipset.
https://www.arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/i/M-O/51004.htm

Looks like it probably came in an NEC system like this:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/PS2_MOST/ACROR … NEC/2012008.PDF
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/PS2_MOST/ACROR … NEC/2012003.PDF

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2020-04-24, 02:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 15, by LukeLovesRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks anyway, searches on nec powermate's come up with some info. I believe cyclone3d is right and have tracked it down to one of the nec powermate systems or similar. The OEM No. is 136-455125-C-03.

Reply 10 of 15, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well if you read the logo as "UA" and google for "UA-67MV" you find a whole lot of different NEC PCBs bearing that same mark and number from all kinds of different computers and industrial machines with similar styled model numbers.

it might just be some internal thing seeing as it seems to only be on NEC hardware.

edit: just found something interesting, this arcade PCB bearing the same mark/number from a japanese company "Video System Co., Ltd"
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qlAAAOSwIV5dn9o4/s-l1600.jpg
...maybe came from NEC too? or they both used the same PCB manufacturer in japan maybe?

Reply 12 of 15, by LukeLovesRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pentiumspeed any smart alec replies are not required. Trying to track down the exact make of the card and the model computer it comes from. Imi and cyclone3d have been more than helpful though drivers for this card are still elusive, have tried generic paradise/wd drivers for win31 none work properly and the nec drivers i have found the same. Starting to think it could be a TIGA card will post when i know more.

Reply 13 of 15, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

on a lot of newer PCBs you can find numbers like "94V-0" which is a flammability safety standard for example... maybe it is something similar to this, some certification... it's hard to find anything from google as these are 30+ years old.

it's still curious that I could only find references to NEC boards and that one japanese arcade board.

Reply 14 of 15, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The code date on the chips is 1989 will help narrow this down to either late 286 or 386 Nec computer era. Certainly not 486 for sure as it tend to get better than this video card.

The years most people bought 286 usually due to cost of 386 machines.
By the way when my father bought a PC it was a philips 286 and that was around 1988 or so, maybe 1989.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 15 of 15, by LukeLovesRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info, i have managed to reduce the likely computer down to an early powermate or similar nec based on similarities with the oem number in other powermate service manuals but need to locate more manuals to be able to trace it any further. As you say imi it is curious that there is no other info.