VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are several DOS benchmarks that display relative performance to other CPUs, such as SpeedSys, NSSI and Norton SysInfo. They tend to show varying results for non-Intel CPUs, and go particularly weird when you start manipulating L1/L2 caches or instructions. Is there, in your experience, a DOS benchmark that is more or less on the money about its performance classification with regards to judging CPU speed (when caches are turned off)?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote on 2020-04-26, 15:09:

I've found topbench's measurements to be on par with speed perceived during actual use

Interesting - Topbench does not give a direct comparison to other CPUs though, does it? Is there a database of CPU Topbench scores somewhere?

Reply 3 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-04-27, 07:11:

Interesting - Topbench does not give a direct comparison to other CPUs though, does it?

You're right, it doesn't

appiah4 wrote on 2020-04-27, 07:11:

Is there a database of CPU Topbench scores somewhere?

Have you looked at the site?
https://dosbenchmark.wordpress.com/downloads/

Reply 4 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK I downloaded TOPBENCH and the database; I get 171 points with SETMUL.EXE L1D which puts me spot on in the DX2-66 neighborhood, which is pretty much exactly what SpeedSys says as well. However, when I launch DOOM it is significantly slower than it runs on a real DX33, this PC behaves more like a fast 386 or slow 486 (Think DX25). Interestingly Norton SystemInfo also says this system scores slower than a DX33. To be honest, I find TOPBENCH to not be a very good indicator...

Any other suggestions?

Reply 5 of 8, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There might not be one good indicator, but if what you care about is Doom performance then why not use Doom as your benchmark?

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 6 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BinaryDemon wrote on 2020-04-27, 13:25:

There might not be one good indicator, but if what you care about is Doom performance then why not use Doom as your benchmark?

It's not, I am looking for an indicator that is good for judging overall gaming performance. I am trying to judge performance sweetspots for games like Wing Commander and Ultima VII..

Reply 8 of 8, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would guess a game would be a better benchmark than a synthetic benchmark in most cases because it tests all the subsystems (video/audio/ect).

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!