VOGONS

First post, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Feel free to skip ahead to the --- if you don't want to read why I'm asking.

I have a room which contains several old computers as well as main main modern PC. I have all of the systems I grew up playing up until I switched to PC for a 386.

I wanted to have a DOS machine to cover right through to windows XP times, leaving my main PC for more modern stuff only. If I used real hardware for everything I'd need an AT, 386, 486, Pentium, P3 etc to cover all the bases and I don't have room and don't want to do that.

I came across PCem and it's fork 86box and I love them and they will cover me up to early Pentium.

That leaves me a gap from around the late 90s onwards.

I have a machine which looks like a 90s DOS machine - beige desktop case, beige keyboard and mouse. I have a CRT monitor on it's way to me which will hopefully make it here in one piece. I've changed the CPU and board in it for an AM3 board with a 1100t X6. The machine needed to be able to use floppy disks so that I can create floppies for my other non-IBM machines. I also wanted to have a serial/parallel ports for legacy. I found this machine to be as powerful as I could reasonably go while still holding on to most of the legacy stuff. It has floppy, IDE, SATA, serial, parallel etc.

My purpose is to try to make this machine as versatile as possible and cover as much as possible.

So that leads me to an idea I had. Why not install more than one OS on it, and just shut down and reboot into the OS I need to in order to access the game I want. I'll have it in Win7 running emulation for 486 stuff etc, but why not also have Win98 on it so that I can go play stuff I can't easily emulate.

---

So, I have an AM3 board with a 1100t in it. It has an x1 PCIe Xonar sound card, and a choice of either a PCIe Quadro 2000 (not FX) or a PCIe GT 710. I have a SBlive (CT4760) which as I understand should be great for Win98SE. I'd like to install Win98SE and have stuff work on it. What are my chances? Would it help to buy a PCI graphics card like an FX5500? I know that for Win98SE and my motherboard's chipset the only real way to find out is to go ahead and do it, but I'm not sure about the rest of it. Would I be better trying windows XP? Is it all a terrible idea and I should stick to running this stuff that i can't in an emulator through DOSbox etc?

Reply 1 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More important then the CPU is the motherboard chip set and how well that works with Win98 and your chances are slim at best.

I know this is a different system to yours but is recent so fresh in my mind and gives an idea what your up against.
Troubleshoot Windows 98! Freezes at desktop, safe mode fine. Too much GPU VRAM?

WinXP you have a better chance but does that offer you anything Win7 doesn't?

Reply 2 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes the motherboard's chipset is what determines the windows support the most. Hence we had to have few machines to cover the areas. DOS for pentium or 486 using ISA or PCI video, WIndow 98se for 440BX/815/865 and some socket 462 boards and mostly are AGP. XP can span from fastest P3, P4 and Core 2 duo and up to Ivy Bridge CPUs, XP is more of best fit for PCIe cards.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Velociraptor wrote on 2020-04-26, 10:05:

Is it all a terrible idea and I should stick to running this stuff that i can't in an emulator through DOSbox etc?

If everything runs exactly how you want it in DOSBox already, and you're actually interested in playing games, then yes, why the heck wouldn't you do that!?

If there's something specific you want to do that doesn't work in DOSBox for some strange reason, then build a machine that does the specific thing you want to do.

If you want to fill your living space with dusty components and spend hour after hour mucking with hardware configurations in desperate pursuit of some heady and undefined sense of nostalgia, all so you can have a computer capable of running all sorts of things that you'll never actually get around to ever running, then no discussion of technical merits is necessary.

Reply 4 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote on 2020-04-26, 22:34:

If you want to fill your living space with dusty components and spend hour after hour mucking with hardware configurations in desperate pursuit of some heady and undefined sense of nostalgia, all so you can have a computer capable of running all sorts of things that you'll never actually get around to ever running, then no discussion of technical merits is necessary.

I think you just summarized what most people on vogons would consider the meaning of life .

Reply 5 of 9, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-04-27, 00:42:
Jorpho wrote on 2020-04-26, 22:34:

I think you just summarized what most people on vogons would consider the meaning of life .

I take issue with this - none of my components are dusty, and I play them every day.

Reply 6 of 9, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well thank you very much for the replies!

I've now decided that Win98SE will be done through emulation in 86box/PCem or through period hardware, or not at all.

>If you want to fill your living space with dusty components and spend hour after hour mucking with hardware configurations in desperate pursuit of some heady and undefined sense of nostalgia, all so you can have a computer capable of running all sorts of things that you'll never actually get around to ever running, then no discussion of technical merits is necessary.

I moved house last year and one of my requirements/plans was to have a retro room. I now have a room which has 6 separate areas in it.

1) 21" CRT Trinitron and MiSTer - for arcade games
2) 17" CRT Microvitec 1701 plus Atari ST and Amiga
3) 14" CRT CTM644 with CPC664 and Specky +3
4) 14" CRT 1084S with C64 and Apple IIc
5) 35" ultrawide LCD with Modern 9900K PC
6) 21" CRT monitor with beige desktop sleeper DOS PC (really it's the 1100t Thuban)

I like playing around with the hardware, but more importantly I don't like playing games in emulation, I much prefer feeling like I'm playing the real thing. It doesn't matter quite so much to me if it's emulation under the hood so long as it feels right, but it's still better to have the real thing.

Based on what you've said about Win98SE and my own memories of bluescreens etc... period hardware has to be the answer to it.

I've been looking into Voodoo stuff because I never had one, and the result seems to be that it mattered for the period I can emulate, but once you get to the point where I can't comfortably emulate then Voodoo wasn't that important. And there's nGlide as well.

So I'll continue to use my "DOS" machine to emulate whatever I need up to early Pentium. I will also use it to run DOSbox. Also in windows 7 it may be possible to run some games directly. I know that Steam and GoG games sometimes have modern patches etc.

However someone has offered to sell me their K6 machine which they're not using, and I'm very tempted to get it and put as good a PCI GPU and ISA sound card (it has no AGP slot) in as I can and use that to bridge the gap between emulation and stuff that runs under windows 7. I'll need to do some research to make sure it's actually fit for that purpose. In my head I thought AGP was standard for that era, and I'm not sure if PCI can cut it or not.

Again though thanks for the help!

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Velociraptor wrote on 2020-04-28, 11:56:

so long as it feels right

If you're aiming for "feelings", there doesn't seem to be much point in debating whether one component or another is necessarily "better".

Based on what you've said about Win98SE and my own memories of bluescreens etc... period hardware has to be the answer to it.

I hope you're not thinking that Win9x didn't bluescreen (or worse) even on "period hardware".

Reply 8 of 9, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-04-28, 15:17:
Velociraptor wrote on 2020-04-28, 11:56:

so long as it feels right

If you're aiming for "feelings", there doesn't seem to be much point in debating whether one component or another is necessarily "better".

I think that's a bit too reductive, and presented out of context that phrase leads to the wrong conclusion.

Jorpho wrote on 2020-04-28, 15:17:

I hope you're not thinking that Win9x didn't bluescreen (or worse) even on "period hardware".

What I mean is that it bluescreened plenty on period hardware that I don't want to introduce even more to the mix and make it worse.

Reply 9 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I was using win98/win98se for about 5 years back in 1998-2003. My computer was running 24/7 usually and I remember I had to reboot the pc every few weeks because it became unstable and I was also forced to do a clean install of win98 about once a year for the same reason. Stability probably depends a lot on what software you use, but I don't think it was a very stable OS. I only switched to winXP when I upgraded to Athlon64 pc in 2004 or so.