VOGONS

First post, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all. I was hoping to share this new purchase in the recent purchase thread but unfortunately I am having trouble.

I recieved an entire pc with an asus TX97-XE and AMDK6-3 400mhz. From what I can see online this cpu was not supported officially however the PC was sold as "ready to go" and working.

Now the trouble is that as soon as power is plugged in the motherboard turns on and will not go off. There is no signal to the monitor.

I have removed the motherboard from the pc and placed on a bench with a different PSU.

The behaviour is the same with all cards removed. Including ram. I have tried a 120mhz pentium too and the system now waits to be turned on, but will not respond to power or reset buttons afterwards.

PC speaker gives no beeps, the power and reset buttons appear to do nothing.

I have cleared CMOS and fit a new battery.

One thing I did observe is the keyboard lights flash as you would expect but after that do not respond to caps/numlock presses.

The motherboard looks in very good shape with no clear signs of damage or capacitor issues.

My feelings are that this board has some damage beyond my level of expertise although I do not want to give up on it yet.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 1 of 12, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe a bios problem. Do you have another motherboard with a similar bios socket that you can do a hotflash procedure with?
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthrea … rking-BIOS-Chip

Oh and that new battery was actually new from the blister package? Because your board still reacts as if the cmos battery is too low.

Reply 3 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-04-28, 16:21:

I recieved an entire pc with an asus TX97-XE and AMDK6-3 400mhz. From what I can see online this cpu was not supported officially however the PC was sold as "ready to go" and working.
I have removed the motherboard from the pc and placed on a bench with a different PSU.
The behaviour is the same with all cards removed. Including ram. I have tried a 120mhz pentium too and the system now waits to be turned on, but will not respond to power or reset buttons afterwards.

When you changed the cpu to 120Mhz did you set the jumpers properly ? 60mhz bus and 2X multiplier AND set the voltage to 3.4v (STD) or 3.5v(VRE).

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 12, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-04-28, 23:29:

When you changed the cpu to 120Mhz did you set the jumpers properly ? 60mhz bus and 2X multiplier AND set the voltage to 3.4v (STD) or 3.5v(VRE).

I did check and double check beforehand!

I have a biostar m5ATA motherboard which also has an award bios. I might attempt a hotflash with that board.

Twitter

Reply 5 of 12, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-04-28, 21:40:

Thankyou for your reply. Is it true I can put the bios in a NIC with a socket and do it that way?

If the chip is the same size and organization it might. I don't have information on that however. The other board methode seems safer generally speaking because you can use the bios flash utility native to that particular bios. Make absolutely sure about the programming voltage used before swapping chips etc.

Reply 6 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMHO, unless the deal was extremely good and worth keeping just for the parts that are working (if any), you should consider returning it . It was, after sold as "ready to go and working" but clearly isn't .

As for the compatibility of the board and CPU, apparently later BIOSes might have supported (patched BIOSes even supported "+" variants) it and the board can apparently be made to provide the 2.4V the CPU requires .

See http://www.lairdslair.com/TX97E.shtml

Reply 7 of 12, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh it is definitely worth keeping.
£49.99
Perfect condition biege atx desktop case(I was considering an evercase and this is less money and includes an entire pc..)
k6-400mhz cpu (if we assume it works)
2x 32mb 72pin
s3 virge dx 4mb
a151-a00 soundcard with opl3.
Also 2 HDDS and 2 cd drives that are perfect colour matches with the case.

Back onto the motherboard.. I have chosen a board for the hotswap and it appears to have the same if not very similar bios? I have attached a picture. The chip resting on the pci bracket is the suspected faulty one.

Thanks!

Lewis

Attachments

• hsrgrg.jpeg
    Filename
    hsrgrg.jpeg
    File size
    222.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Twitter

Reply 8 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Similar eraseable flash rom capacity will work. I done hot swap thing, by booting with good bios then when powered carefully pull flash IC and put bad flash firmware in, and proceed with flashing utility.

I did same way using a working motherboard to create updated firmware for a Spock SCSI MCA card using downloaded firmware from ps/2 website using the flash utility by rename the files correctly.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 10 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think ASUS TX97 series had malfunction issues with one chip, which feeds CPU. It doesn't provide sufficient voltage.

ASUS TX97 issue.png
Filename
ASUS TX97 issue.png
File size
342.9 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Some Acorp models used it too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is PWM DC-DC regulator IC that sends out series of pulses through power mosfets to the two coils to generate voltages for the CPU voltages.

Could be too early motherboard but I doubt that by then when I had a HX chipset Asus P/I equipped with dual tag support, rev 3.1 supported K6-2 with no problem but K6-3 might be not supported on early versions?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 12 of 12, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"ready to go" = "powered on, checked the light came up", likely.

A lot of sellers don't bother with advanced diagnostics.