VOGONS

What games for a 286-6

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I'm buying a 286-6 machine from a local guy, I wasn't using 286 back in the day, I started with my parents ibm 266pr cyrix so early did games I never really played. I plan to change that now. What games should I hunt down or grab from steam/gog and copy the games from.

Not sure what games are optimal but I know the dos games I did play like black night, SimCity 2000, Doom, wolf 3d, cnc, and colonization ate to new.

Reply 1 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The original side scroll Duke Nukem's, Commander Keen, most of the old side scrolling Apogee games, etc. You will not be able to play any of the early 3d games Like Doom, Heretic, etc on a 286-6 even if you have a good ISA VGA card.
edit: Check Moby Games, they list games by processor, here are some for 286:
https://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/att … ibuteId,65/p,2/
added: you can DL the Apogee shareware versions of their games here: https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/profile/apogee-software/
and you can search their site for others too, many can be downloaded free....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 20, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any of the Freescape games if you want a first-person experience in a true 3D engine with a fully explorable environment. Space Station Oblivion (my personal favorite), Dark Side (its sequel), Total Eclipse, Castle Master I & II, etc. They might be a bit pokey at 6MHz but they'll run. Print out the controls & a map, and make sure you know what you're supposed to do before you start as it's not explained in-game.

For a simpler arcadey title, Alley Cat is still good fun.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 5 of 20, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-05, 02:54:

80s games. Early Sierra titles in EGA. Gold Box d&d games. Text adventures (Zorks). Most of your games are mid 90s and will not run.

Will all 80s games run? What about the original wasteland?

Reply 6 of 20, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately, a 6 MHz 286 is more limited to games than even an XT. Most games made for the PC/XT will run, except those that have their speed fixed to 4.77 MHz. They become unplayable fast. For anything past the XT era, 6 MHz is too slow. My slowest 286 has 10 MHz and even that is pretty much useless. There are a few EGA games it will run at good speed, but you really want to have at least 16 MHz.

Reply 7 of 20, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
candle_86 wrote on 2020-05-05, 12:01:
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-05, 02:54:

80s games. Early Sierra titles in EGA. Gold Box d&d games. Text adventures (Zorks). Most of your games are mid 90s and will not run.

Will all 80s games run? What about the original wasteland?

Original wasteland will work fine. Also ultima 1-5 should work fine too.

Reply 9 of 20, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It should do well running mid-late 80s EGA games. These were usually no longer terribly speed sensitive, and would load with varying degrees of playability on a Turbo XT. Most should be playable given a 286/6 is probably about twice as fast as the 8mhz 8088 people tended to own.

VGA games, 1990 on, were really for faster 286s and 386sx machines. More like a 286/10.

Reply 10 of 20, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kens Labrynth isn’t optimal but it pushes limits.

The original flight sim and many 80’s games will run fine.

Some 4.77mhz locked games will be too fast but on a system that slow the original mo’slo actually works properly to fix it.

You have yourself an XT+ system, most anything XT will run into there and a lot of newer games are fine even if a little slow.

Reply 13 of 20, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ the Freescape games run a far more advanced engine than Wolf3D, and will run considerably faster on your machine. Just saying. :p

I actually fired up an emulated 286/6 last night & tried out SSO and Castle Master. Was pretty impressed with how well they did. Not 60FPS (or even 30), but fully playable. The Hercules graphics mode looked pretty neat, too (of course C/E/VGA also work.) Seriously, give 'em a try.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 14 of 20, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played the snot out of "Empire: Wargame of the Century" and "Prince of Persia" back in the day.. I think you are good for those @ 6mhz.

I'd recommend "Railroad Tycoon" but that probably needs more than 6 mhz.

Reply 16 of 20, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote on 2020-05-07, 19:38:

Wrong on CPU speed it's 12mhz and turbo makes it 6mhz. If that makes a difference

I played Wolf 3D on a 10mhz Tandy 1000rlx and was satisfied in the day.

12mhz will run most anything 286 “good” per the standards of the day.

Reply 17 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wrong on CPU speed it's 12mhz and turbo makes it 6mhz. If that makes a difference

I think you meant: 12mhz cpu at 6mhz and turbo makes it 12 mhz. Or did I misunderstand.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 18 of 20, by nismotigerwvu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thaaaaaaat makes a lot more sense now. Small (somewhat related) tangent for anyone who might know, how exactly do those 6 mhz 286's (if any still exist, I know they were rare even back then) or Turbo'd down models operating at 6 mhz handle the ISA bus? Do they just bring it down in lockstep? As far as I can remember, it wasn't until at least the 386 that they split the clock planes in that regard.

Reply 19 of 20, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Prince of Persia
Battletech: The Crescent Hawks Inception
Life and Death

I remember playing the Adventures of Willy Beamish and Star Control on a 286 as well, but it was probably a beefier machine.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!