User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mockingbird wrote on 2021-09-03, 00:26:
Update: […]
Show full quote

Update:

The Ultra133 TX2 did not play nice with two different BX systems (motherboards). The card initializes fine and sees the drives (primary master mechanical HDD, primary slave marvell adapter), but it corrupts the data on the mechanical drives (not using trim or anything, it just corrupts data out of the blue).

Looking at very old internet posts, it seems this was a common issue with these cards.

So back to the on-board ports it is... UDMA2 should be enough for what this system is going to be used for. I may update the BIOS on the card some day and try again.

On my 440BX based P3B-F, the Ultra133 TX2 prevents POST from finishing . The same Ultra133 TX2 card works fine in an 815EP based board (Ipox IP-3ETI23) . This is with the latest available BIOS installed on the card .

Reply 21 of 27, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-09-03, 02:39:

On my 440BX based P3B-F, the Ultra133 TX2 prevents POST from finishing . The same Ultra133 TX2 card works fine in an 815EP based board (Ipox IP-3ETI23) . This is with the latest available BIOS installed on the card .

Thanks.

I might give the Ultra 100 TX2 a shot, and I'll probably keep testing other cards.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 22 of 27, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a stupid question...

If you leave enough free space, eg part of drive *never* getting touched, doesn't the SSd do the trimming by itself (due to the availability of free space)?
I mean, buying a new SSD and make sure you leave part of it free (allocating only, say, 80 or 90% to partitions)?

Reply 23 of 27, by crusher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to necro this thread.
But it seems suitable and I didn't want to open a new thread.

In my Windows 98 gaming rig I'm using a Samsung Evo 860 SSD with StarTech IDE-SATA converter (model "IDE2SAT2").
rloew's TRIM.EXE seems to work fine. At least I got a "Done" message.
I'm running TRIM.EXE every startup via autoexec.bat.

Is there a way to check if Trim command really works except of the "Done" message from TRIM.EXE itself?

Reply 24 of 27, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
crusher wrote on 2024-03-26, 09:03:
Sorry to necro this thread. But it seems suitable and I didn't want to open a new thread. […]
Show full quote

Sorry to necro this thread.
But it seems suitable and I didn't want to open a new thread.

In my Windows 98 gaming rig I'm using a Samsung Evo 860 SSD with StarTech IDE-SATA converter (model "IDE2SAT2").
rloew's TRIM.EXE seems to work fine. At least I got a "Done" message.
I'm running TRIM.EXE every startup via autoexec.bat.

Is there a way to check if Trim command really works except of the "Done" message from TRIM.EXE itself?

Easiest way that I see is to format a drive, write a file to it, use a disk editor to look at one of the sectors used by the file, delete the file, look at the same sector as before (content should match), TRIM the drive and wait a few minutes then look at the same sector ( it should be empty now).

This can be done with more than one sector of course, and the drive can be connector to a modern Windows or Linux PC to run a disk editor ( or simply use dd).

Reply 26 of 27, by crusher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's excatly as you described @darry 😀

After deleting a file and look at the hex content with a disk editor the bytes are still the same as before.
But after executing trim.exe all bytes have "00" content.

So, I can say trim.exe is working in my configuration.
Thanks for your help!

Reply 27 of 27, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
crusher wrote on 2024-04-02, 06:55:
It's excatly as you described @darry :) […]
Show full quote

It's excatly as you described @darry 😀

After deleting a file and look at the hex content with a disk editor the bytes are still the same as before.
But after executing trim.exe all bytes have "00" content.

So, I can say trim.exe is working in my configuration.
Thanks for your help!

Glad I could help and thank you for the testing and confirmation.