VOGONS

First post, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was looking for a PSU for my Athlon system and came by this for sail on eBay and just had to post a photo of it. 70 flipping amps on the 5 volt rail. 😳

s-l1600.jpg

Its an AT PSU too, what kind of AT system needs that much power ? Any thoughts? I'm guessing a 6 or 8 CPU Pentium pro system?

Last edited by austinham on 2020-05-05, 14:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

...if it actually delivers on the promise. Don't recall ever having seen "Turbo-Cool" before, which makes me take any specs quoted with a big pinch of salt.

Simple test: a PSU with these specs should be spectacularly heavy due to high component count, big components and even bigger heatsinks to keep all that stuff cool. Does it feel heavy as a really heavy thing? Then (assuming there's no cement inside) it's probably the real deal. If it's a featherweight, those claims are worth less than the sticker they are printed on.

If it is real, time to go looking for a dual AthlonMP board 😉

Reply 2 of 12, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-05-05, 14:06:

...if it actually delivers on the promise. Don't recall ever having seen "Turbo-Cool" before, which makes me take any specs quoted with a big pinch of salt.

Simple test: a PSU with these specs should be spectacularly heavy due to high component count, big components and even bigger heatsinks to keep all that stuff cool. Does it feel heavy as a really heavy thing? Then (assuming there's no cement inside) it's probably the real deal. If it's a featherweight, those claims are worth less than the sticker they are printed on.

If it is real, time to go looking for a dual AthlonMP board 😉

Turbo-Cool was a line of PSUs from pc power and cooling, top of the line stuff. They were in the dream machine builds for quite a few years if I recall.
Its a photo from ebay as stated in my OP.

Reply 3 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think some 3dfx cards drew very heavily from the 5V rail..

Bitchin Fast.jpg
Filename
Bitchin Fast.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It does and Turbo-Cool is a known brand. What you don't see on that picture however is the size of that thing. It won't fit into anything but a big tower.

//edit:
Ok, now you see the size. 😉

Reply 7 of 12, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes it's a very good brand, I remember in early 2000s I assembled a small PC for my then-girlfriend using mostly second hand parts because we both were utterly broke at the time. The PSU was a small form factor power supply made by this company, it was actually much heavier than most full-size PSUs! That system ran without any trouble for years.

Reply 11 of 12, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
austinham wrote on 2020-05-05, 14:03:

I was looking for a PSU for my Athlon system and came by this for sail on eBay and just had to post a photo of it. 70 flipping amps on the 5 volt rail. 😳

s-l1600.jpg

Its an AT PSU too, what kind of AT system needs that much power ? Any thoughts? I'm guessing a 6 or 8 CPU Pentium pro system?

70 Amps? You need copper rails already, not those thin cables 😁

Reply 12 of 12, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-05-05, 18:45:
austinham wrote on 2020-05-05, 14:03:

s-l1600.jpg

70 Amps? You need copper rails already, not those thin cables 😁

I was thinking that too.