VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Need to register there since one poster has same issue with power supply for the compaq deskpro M that I'm trying to fill in my questions. Need to register to see rest of his posts.

vintage computer forum registeration form asks:

"Additional Required Information (profile)
What is this forum all about?:"

In the field has single letter "C".

What am I'm supposed to answer with?

Thanks and cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 18, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you aware that there's a hint under that input field telling you the answer? No offence, but this is really a silly question. Like it's the first time you ever try to register an account in a forum. Also, nothing bad will happen when entering a wrong answer. It's not going to block your IP or something, you just have to try again.

But "Computers" *is* the correct answer - and I am registered there.

Reply 4 of 18, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow. Was asking to confirm, not to show my lapse of mind, I did enter "Computers" once, still get error during trying to register few days ago. I'll try again and let you know. That week was hectic at work shoveling series of cellphones and occasional game consoles fixing them for customers.

Cheers,

Reply 5 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A long while ago they lost my login (my fault cause I hadn't officially logged in for a while, just browsed about) and did have a bit of an issue with their style of "captcha". The explaination at the time did not make any sense but after a few attempts at mentally translating I got it to work. Think it was Vintage at the time and not Computers. Anyway their site is a bit odd unless you been a member there a long time AND posted many times.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 18, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today's u1pdate:
Going no where.
I keep getting this error after entered "Computers". What am I supposed to do it correctly to get correct "value" it asks for?

You did not enter the correct format for the What is this forum all about? field. Please read the field description for the expected format.
A required field called What is this forum all about? is missing or has an invalid value.

Cheers,

Reply 7 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-05-10, 01:28:
Today's u1pdate: Going no where. I keep getting this error after entered "Computers". What am I supposed to do it correctly to […]
Show full quote

Today's u1pdate:
Going no where.
I keep getting this error after entered "Computers". What am I supposed to do it correctly to get correct "value" it asks for?

You did not enter the correct format for the What is this forum all about? field. Please read the field description for the expected format.
A required field called What is this forum all about? is missing or has an invalid value.

Cheers,

Try V

added: if you get in a Mod will have to approve your first posts, which can take a few days to a week..for each post.. just sayin

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 18, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The way the question of this is worded and it had a "C" in the field when I got there for first time before all this goof up. No where in that question said anywhere and is not related to the anwser. Basically english mashup.

Anyway, I'm in!

Cheers,

Reply 10 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-05-10, 01:59:

The way the question of this is worded and it had a "C" in the field when I got there for first time before all this goof up. No where in that question said anywhere and is not related to the anwser. Basically english mashup.

Anyway, I'm in!

Cheers,

Great ! I do have to say that it seems that the people there are not as friendly as here IMHO. Even before my login snaffu long ago if someone asked a question and no one had an answer you would hear nothing except from very a rare few. Here at least some that read the issue and do some searching will at least come back and tell you they found nothing or what ever they found, not there unless it is a qualifying answer. Is why I decided this is by far a better place and have not posted there but twice since and the last was not approved by a mod because I said I searched but could find nothing. Yeah I think they have gone downhill in last 5 years but many of their old posts have a lot of good info. Just one mans opinion.....

Last edited by Horun on 2020-05-10, 02:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 18, by PhantomEight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-10, 01:35:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-05-10, 01:28:
Today's u1pdate: Going no where. I keep getting this error after entered "Computers". What am I supposed to do it correctly to […]
Show full quote

Today's u1pdate:
Going no where.

Cheers,

Try V

added: if you get in a Mod will have to approve your first posts, which can take a few days to a week..for each post.. just sayin

One of the reasons I don't really post or participate there, granted my post count here is practically nothing. I pretty much gave up quickly and even though my account was created more than a year ago, my posts still have to be approved for some reason... so while they always do get approved, I don't bother.

Reply 12 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhantomEight wrote on 2020-05-10, 02:59:

One of the reasons I don't really post or participate there, granted my post count here is practically nothing. I pretty much gave up quickly and even though my account was created more than a year ago, my posts still have to be approved for some reason... so while they always do get approved, I don't bother.

You describe exactly why I never logged in for quite a few years (which caused my original account to be disabled) since I was mostly just looking for info and did not like waiting days to see if my occasional posts were approved.

Reply 13 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Vcfed members post on a daily basis so what is the issue with them? I've been on there for over 15 years and the help has been exceptional all that time. Ok we're quite old and can get grumby but you need to get over that.

Don't go there for assistance on x86 systems above P1mmx class systems. Vogons is better for that.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 14 of 18, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have special place for compaq as I can actually use these compaq especially with audio cards where one cannot do with PS/2 which far more easier document for power supply pinout than compaq's.
I used to have PS/2 at first but no longer active with it.

Therefore, must document the power supply pinout for vintage OEM computers.

Don't skim the manuals you find online; read carefully to make sure it is correct one, Compaq does not always say what is the model in many of the reference manuals in first few pages, there is one a link based on Deskpro M but the manual is actually for AGP and PII several years later.

The internet is also missing some documents for:
Quick reference manual
and full reference service manual.

Prolinea 3/25zs. Does exist, seen one in person years ago, was a 386SX 25 model, slim line case with 2 ISA slots, two memory 30pin sockets and adapter to plug in to get 2 more 30pin sockets.
Deskpro 386 or 486/33L via processor card and memory card, there is 2 types of boards, one of them is Pentium based on the system board instead of processor board
Compaq SystemPro 486 or 386 based on L processor cards in two slots for dual cpu and two memory cards.
Deskpro M series
Deskpro XL series. Very hard to find information on.
Deskpro 386/33i and 486/33i rare motherboard design outside of few generic motherboards to host either 386DX or 486, and this is a OEM maker to have 2 sockets for either 386DX 33 with 16K cache or 486DX and optional 64K cache card. Also there is another motherboard 486/33i only, with items not soldered: 386DX socket, 387 socket and 395DX cache controller.

There much more too.

Cheers,

Reply 15 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-05-10, 20:35:
I have special place for compaq as I can actually use these compaq especially with audio cards where one cannot do with PS/2 whi […]
Show full quote

I have special place for compaq as I can actually use these compaq especially with audio cards where one cannot do with PS/2 which far more easier document for power supply pinout than compaq's.
I used to have PS/2 at first but no longer active with it.

Therefore, must document the power supply pinout for vintage OEM computers.

Don't skim the manuals you find online; read carefully to make sure it is correct one, Compaq does not always say what is the model in many of the reference manuals in first few pages, there is one a link based on Deskpro M but the manual is actually for AGP and PII several years later.

The internet is also missing some documents for:
Quick reference manual
and full reference service manual.

Prolinea 3/25zs. Does exist, seen one in person years ago, was a 386SX 25 model, slim line case with 2 ISA slots, two memory 30pin sockets and adapter to plug in to get 2 more 30pin sockets.
Deskpro 386 or 486/33L via processor card and memory card, there is 2 types of boards, one of them is Pentium based on the system board instead of processor board
Compaq SystemPro 486 or 386 based on L processor cards in two slots for dual cpu and two memory cards.
Deskpro M series
Deskpro XL series. Very hard to find information on.
Deskpro 386/33i and 486/33i rare motherboard design outside of few generic motherboards to host either 386DX or 486, and this is a OEM maker to have 2 sockets for either 386DX 33 with 16K cache or 486DX and optional 64K cache card. Also there is another motherboard 486/33i only, with items not soldered: 386DX socket, 387 socket and 395DX cache controller.

There much more too.

Cheers,

Compaq was a leader in the x86 field. First 386 desktop system. first version of Dos (3.31) to break the 32meg partition barrier, clean room IBM compatible bios etc etc... I had one of those slime line 386. Very tidy wee units indeed. Ran DR Dos 6.0 and GeoWorks Ensemble 1.2 Pro and some Dos games on it. That went around a few family members before coming back to me over about a 6 year period. Died when in storage unfortunately. Compaqs were used extensively in a place I worked at for about 5years.

Yes documenting old psu layouts is important. Maybe HP still has some docs hidden/buried in their ftp servers somewhere.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 16 of 18, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a 4/66i, XE 560 and XL 590 with working power supplies that I am happy to help document once I become more knowledgeable. The supply on my 386/33M unfortunately is flaky; if left off for a while (~24 hours) it will power up the computer normally and keep it running w/o issue... however if powered off, the system will not come back up... no PSU fan, no mobo light... nothing. As my first step of bravery I am going to document, source replacements for, then replace all the capacitors.

Reply 17 of 18, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently as of now these days from long searches, there is currently no available PSU for compaq deskpro M series. I need that pinout so others can build adapter to use ATX PSU on it. If I have a PSU for deskpro M series, this will be a golden time even loaned one in semi-working, broken state or working state is very essential as what I see, there is pretty large number of Deskpro M owners with their power supply potentially bound to fail one day and to make adapter just for this will be much nice.

The Deskpro M power supply is very, very special design and I need to document this very carefully:
I suspected that may be a signal loopback so PSU knows is complete circuit is made from the both slot board and I/O board is connected together to power up. Conjunctive theory. I verified and this need to be documented fully since that because -5V path goes through I/O board from PSU connector first, then back out to slot board to the EISA slots pin for -5V, I had to plug both slot and i/o boards together to get -5V path made complete!). How I know, I recently bought a set of boards to make a working Deskpro M computer on bench but without PSU, I'm stumped on these unknown 3 pins left to document. Oh, there is no LED connection since PSU is not butting against front panel like my Deskpro 386/25e motherboard is (PSU pinout already documented except two (easy!), just matter of guessing which one is power good pin therefore know other pin LED output through PSU's board to illuminate hard drive activity LED), 386/25e PSU is full length PSU front to back with two LEDs in the PSU for power and hard drive activity.

Second, one of unknown pin has to have a "power good" signal that is held low (forced low held the reset line in the computer's board, then pulled up to 5V allows computer to boot. This is still present to the current time in all computers to the day even the Intel new 2020 ATX 10pin 12V design. That was IBM idea first started with PC 5150, the circuit to signal power good comes from internal PSU monitoring 4 voltages 5 and 12 both minus and positive are all correct then few milliseconds later then power good is enabled, thus releasing reset circuits allowing motherboard to run.

Cheers,

There are 3 unknown signal or two signals and one power on rear most pins, marked "*".

N/C means no connect.

One more thing, verified on rear left pin is N/C next to pin 1, with light shining through the slot board PCB to see if the via is connected carefully looked for buried trace at a via, not there either compared to other locations of buried trace at any via. The photos of PSU I found so far on VCFed for Deskpro M shows previously said 3 pins are connected on the PSU board itself cast more doubts.

PS: via means drilled hole with conductive metal plated through so tracks can make through connection on both sides or to make a track connection at a soldered via.

Here's the semi-complete pinout for Deskpro M line series (386DX, 486 and early Pentium socket 60/66)

This is 24 position connectors with last two positions has metal pins not present, facing front. Pin 1 is towards rear of chassis as "o".

*N/C (?) X 0 pin 1 * (voltage sense or something?)
-5V X X (?) *
GND X X -12V
GND X X GND
GND X X GND
GND X X GND
+5V X X +5V
+5V X X +5V
+5V X X +5V
+5V X X +12V
N/C X X +12V
N/C X X N/C

Reply 18 of 18, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did want to mention re: vcfed that the process for account approval appears to be more or less completely opaque, and that can cause frustration. When I started there, each post I made required moderation, and moderation took anywhere from 24 hours to almost a calendar week. It took several weeks before my account suddenly became active. During that time, posting was somewhat infuriating... oftentimes, I would make a post and by the time there was a reply, my original post was obsolete because I had moved on.

Once my account has been active, I find that there is rich expertise and rapid feedback/dialogue, and I don't find the community to be difficult in any way.

I do wish the account approval process was more transparent however.