VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My one and only AT PSU went pop the other day. No smoke or smell. I opened it up and it looks... fine? Can't see anything that has obviously exploded, still no smells or burn marks. Can you guys see anything bad?

aSdCK8lh.jpg
bigger https://i.imgur.com/aSdCK8l.jpg

3WtGvKGh.jpg
Bigger https://i.imgur.com/3WtGvKG.jpg

doMjjuCh.jpg
Bigger https://i.imgur.com/doMjjuC.jpg

Reply 4 of 20, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I doubt the fuse blew up, it looks intact (you could double check it just to be sure). Have a closer look at the primary and secondary MOSFETs. Sometimes, if they pop, a bulge will develop on top of their package.

If that is the case, you can't fix it.

And as everyone would say, let those BIG filter caps discharge for 15 mins (if you plan to get the PCB out). They are a serious hazard when charged.

Last edited by computerguy08 on 2020-05-09, 09:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 20, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Swiego wrote on 2020-05-09, 21:56:

Out of curiosity, what is the function of those metal fences I see in these old PSUs? It doesn’t seem to be a heat sink for anything. EM shield?

What fences are you talking about?

Reply 9 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To the left of the two primary bulk caps is the desk. To the right is the heat sink mounting the main switchers.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 20, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Swiego wrote on 2020-05-09, 23:00:

In the very first photo in the OP's post, the vertical metal stand (looked kind of like a fence to me) to the left of the two capacitors.

They *are* heatsinks and have MOSFETs attached. You just can't see them from the picture.

Reply 11 of 20, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, this psu uses BJTs and not FETs . These are too very different transistor types.
Almoststew1990, it is possible that the high voltage primary side is good and something has gone bad on the secondary output side. Does the fan twitch or does the psu give out some high frequency noise when you power it up? Or stays completely still and silent?

Reply 12 of 20, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-05-09, 09:22:
https://i.imgur.com/doMjjuCh.jpg Bigger https://i.imgur.com/doMjjuC.jpg […]
Show full quote

doMjjuCh.jpg
Bigger https://i.imgur.com/doMjjuC.jpg

Is it just me or is that mosfet closer to the AC power cable port kinds of off colored? Like its blown? Or is it just dust.

Reply 13 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DAVE86 wrote on 2020-05-10, 21:29:

Guys, this psu uses BJTs and not FETs . These are too very different transistor types.

Nobody could see the package ink to know that, nor does it make a difference when it comes to understanding the topology of the PSU. Detailed engineering and component testing is different, of course, but I usually consult the datasheet to confirm pinout anyway.

Almoststew1990, it is possible that the high voltage primary side is good and something has gone bad on the secondary output side. Does the fan twitch or does the psu give out some high frequency noise when you power it up? Or stays completely still and silent?

Don't guess. Meter it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14 of 20, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-05-11, 05:35:

Nobody could see the package ink to know that, nor does it make a difference when it comes to understanding the topology of the PSU. Detailed engineering and component testing is different, of course, but I usually consult the datasheet to confirm pinout anyway.

Well yeah, it's the curse of the profession. I could see that this is a half bridge with bjt-s. Small driver and current sensing transformers in the middle and that Ka7500 on the secondary. The overal layout is a dead giveaway.
Almoststew1990, you should get a multimeter if you can use one. Otherwise it stays a guessing-troubleshooting game 🙁

Reply 15 of 20, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does it really matter if they are BJTs or MOSFETs? If any of them are blown, it isn't worth the risk of trying to replace them.

Maybe OP will get lucky with a burn mark on the other side of the PCB.

I usually wouldn't bother fixing any SMPS, especially if it's a cheap and common AT unit.

Reply 17 of 20, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-05-11, 07:19:
Does it really matter if they are BJTs or MOSFETs? If any of them are blown, it isn't worth the risk of trying to replace them. […]
Show full quote

Does it really matter if they are BJTs or MOSFETs? If any of them are blown, it isn't worth the risk of trying to replace them.

Maybe OP will get lucky with a burn mark on the other side of the PCB.

I usually wouldn't bother fixing any SMPS, especially if it's a cheap and common AT unit.

what risk? the risk of wasting 10 minutes replacing them?

Reply 19 of 20, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-05-11, 11:05:

The PSU doesn't make any noise and the fan doesn't spin at all 🙁 I don't have a multimeter to test it out unfortunately

Most likeIy something failed on the high voltage primary side. There might be something on the solder side of the circuit that shorted traces or leads of component. At this point I wouldn't encourage you doing more then observation since there is the chance of getting shocked.