VOGONS

Reply 60 of 293, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

no need to waste money

for DOS:
just get a snes controller and mod it to serial or lpt1. (cant remember )and load a dos program in memory that emulates the buttons to actual keyboard keys

its even freat for games that did not support a co troller because you are emulating keyboard key pressed.

for dos there is nothing better than a snes controller.

Reply 61 of 293, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cga.8086 wrote on 2020-05-22, 00:44:
no need to waste money […]
Show full quote

no need to waste money

for DOS:
just get a snes controller and mod it to serial or lpt1. (cant remember )and load a dos program in memory that emulates the buttons to actual keyboard keys

its even freat for games that did not support a co troller because you are emulating keyboard key pressed.

for dos there is nothing better than a snes controller.

Some would say that modifying a SNES controller is a waste of vintage hardware, or running a TSR is a waste of system resources. I'm not against these things fwiw. Would rather a dedicated adapter though personally.

Reply 62 of 293, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This looks wonderful. I really like my Powerramp Mite, which is basically a PS/2 keyboard on a gamepad too.

One issue I wanted to call to your attention is that my Mite does not work well with my Toshiba Tecra with trackpoint. I think it is because the Tecra continually polls the trackpoint, which somehow interferes with the PS/2. Not sure if you've tested on a Toshiba laptop or not.

Reply 63 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote on 2020-05-22, 04:45:

This looks wonderful. I really like my Powerramp Mite, which is basically a PS/2 keyboard on a gamepad too.

One issue I wanted to call to your attention is that my Mite does not work well with my Toshiba Tecra with trackpoint. I think it is because the Tecra continually polls the trackpoint, which somehow interferes with the PS/2. Not sure if you've tested on a Toshiba laptop or not.

WA-A-AIT! How does it "not work well"? Does it from time to time fail to press a button and occasionally - fails to let it go?
More often fails to let go then fails to press?

If you do confirm it - I'LL SUE YOU FOR CONSPIRING TO MURDER ME BY PROVOKING A GIANT FACEPALM!
I think I know the reason.

Seriously, how does it fail?

Want to play MS-DOS keyboard-only games with a gamepad? Feel free to purchase Volo's Pad-to-PS/2 by writing me an e-mail:
3hUGsDI.png

Reply 64 of 293, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Volo wrote on 2020-05-22, 21:12:
WA-A-AIT! How does it "not work well"? Does it from time to time fail to press a button and occasionally - fails to let it go? M […]
Show full quote

WA-A-AIT! How does it "not work well"? Does it from time to time fail to press a button and occasionally - fails to let it go?

If you do confirm it - I'LL SUE YOU FOR CONSPIRING TO MURDER ME BY PROVOKING A GIANT FACEPALM!

It's been a long time since I used the two in combination, but here is a very short thread I made on the issue: Powerramp Mite Gamepad Controller

I think I even went as far as to open up the Tecra to try to disconnect the Trackpoint manually, but I remember that not working either. Good luck -- and let me know if you know how to fix it!

Reply 65 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote on 2020-05-22, 21:16:
Volo wrote on 2020-05-22, 21:12:
WA-A-AIT! How does it "not work well"? Does it from time to time fail to press a button and occasionally - fails to let it go? M […]
Show full quote

It's been a long time since I used the two in combination, but here is a very short thread I made on the issue: Powerramp Mite Gamepad Controller

I think I even went as far as to open up the Tecra to try to disconnect the Trackpoint manually, but I remember that not working either. Good luck -- and let me know if you know how to fix it!

Yes! Act Labs POWERRAMP MITE - the name of that Chinese PS/2 gamepad, I've forgotten!
I've looked for it, for some time, but then kinda was too late. Now I am glad I didn't buy it.
Correct me if I am wrong, but that laptop works just fine with external keyboards?

The problem has nothing to do with the Trackpoint. It is the way old laptops treated their keyboards.
Most pre-USB laptops have their inbuilt keyboards on the same PS/2 bus as the external keyboards. When the laptop checks inbuilt keyboard state it acts slightly off-spec: It pulls down CLOCK line of the external PS/2 port, which sorta-kinda means a time-out command for the external keyboard. Any keycodes sent during such CLOCK DOWN state shall be ignored. Most keyboards just stand by, till CLOCK pulls up. Obviously, desktop computers don't resort to this trick, as they have no competing keyboards.

(Facepalm on standby!) The funny thing is that this Powerramp Mite thing has to resort to this trick to ensure its own reliable keyboard pass-through. And it's somehow forgotten that it may be tricked the same itself!

*SLAP!* OW! My forehead hurts now! 😢

Obviously, I know of this... the hard way, as it is not documented properly.
Almost given up the project then... Gosh! It was the first prototype like a year ago!

Want to play MS-DOS keyboard-only games with a gamepad? Feel free to purchase Volo's Pad-to-PS/2 by writing me an e-mail:
3hUGsDI.png

Reply 66 of 293, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Volo wrote on 2020-05-22, 22:12:
Yes! Act Labs POWERRAMP MITE - the name of that Chinese PS/2 gamepad, I've forgotten! I've looked for it, for some time, but th […]
Show full quote

Yes! Act Labs POWERRAMP MITE - the name of that Chinese PS/2 gamepad, I've forgotten!
I've looked for it, for some time, but then kinda was too late. Now I am glad I didn't buy it.
Correct me if I am wrong, but that laptop works just fine with external keyboards?

The problem has nothing to do with the Trackpoint. It is the way old laptops treated their keyboards.
Most pre-USB laptops have their inbuilt keyboards on the same PS/2 bus as the external keyboards. When the laptop checks inbuilt keyboard state it acts slightly off-spec: It pulls down CLOCK line of the external PS/2 port, which sorta-kinda means a time-out command for the external keyboard. Any keycodes sent during such CLOCK DOWN state shall be ignored. Most keyboards just stand by, till CLOCK pulls up. Obviously, desktop computers don't resort to this trick, as they have no competing keyboards.

(Facepalm on standby!) The funny thing is that this Powerramp Mite thing has to resort to this trick to ensure its own reliable keyboard pass-through. And it's somehow forgotten that it may be tricked the same itself!

*SLAP!* OW! My forehead hurts now! 😢

Obviously, I know of this... the hard way, as it is not documented properly.
Almost given up the project then... Gosh! It was the first prototype like a year ago!

I've never tried it with an external keyboard, but I will dig it out later and test it.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what's going on, but it sounds like you encountered this problem and found a way to fix it so that it's not a problem with your device? If so, sorry to worry you all over again, 🤣.

Reply 67 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SITUATION REPORT

1. Yes, I’ve solved the issue with laptop compatibility. For me – the laptop is the primary use of the device (with or without external keyboard).

2. I renamed the thread into something more affirmative.

3. I managed to nag the supplier for sample SNES and SEGA connectors (I’d like those to be plastic instead of usual metal DB9 to avoid scratching gamepad connectors). Since the supplier refused to provide me the blueprints, to finalize the PCB I need to measure those once they arrive. Those are being airmailed to me from China right now.

4. Spammed electronic producers in my city:

• Firstly – there like a dozen of those just in my city alone.
  • Secondly – they know each other and now I've become the butt of their jokes.
  • Thirdly – they are super-helpful. Helped to make the PCB more proper for production.

Now I’ve run into an existential crisis. I am fully aware of this thing having limited demand. And production run of 50-70 instances shall most probably be the end of it (why wouldn’t it?). In case of limited run, it is not reasonable to invest into metal stencils and proper reels of parts.

For 50-70 unit run, I managed to arrange manual assembly of parts. Those would work fine but shall look a less pristine than if assembled by a robot.

Situation now:

1. I plan to spend next several days enjoying my new job and waiting for sample connectors to arrive.
  2. Once I receive those – shall arrange making a couple of PCBs locally to test and adopt the firmware to the production model.
  3. After that I’ll start the hassle with making case. Thankfully, that should be all done locally.

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 68 of 293, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wish I had some social media clout, as I'm sure more people would be interested in this if they knew about it. I did post it on OCAU, which I think might have brought in a whole person. Some exposure from a Youtuber would be nice.

Reply 69 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2020-05-27, 10:35:

I wish I had some social media clout, as I'm sure more people would be interested in this if they knew about it. I did post it on OCAU, which I think might have brought in a whole person. Some exposure from a Youtuber would be nice.

Well, yes. Public exposure would be Cl.4 of the plan.
Once I have production prototypes (I plan to make two) I'll make another advert, and perhaps nag a couple of Youtubers for exposure. I seem to be good at nagging! 🤣

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 70 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SITUATION REPORT

The project is not dead… Though I suspect it’s pining for the fjords.

1. The PCB was approved by manufacturing engineer. I only need the plastic ports for final measuring and fitting.
  2. The ports meant for measurement were supposed to arrive not later than last week. The cargo jet must’ve stuck midflight and they were catching it with a butterfly net. The plane was finally caught in Germany and my parts are traveling the last 2000km stint by truck.
  3. I was bored. I finalized Typematic routines. Now the device accepts BIOS and OS settings for key press delay and repeat rate. Been playing “Typematic tug of war” with other keyboards. Timing seems spot-on!
  4. I am making a way to customize the DEAFULT key pre-set (one that device uses after shut-down). To change it you have to:
    • Be in such DEAFULT mode,
    • Press Scroll Lock,
    • Set keys,
    • Save default setting by holding ~ pressing Scroll Lock (that’s TILDA AND SCROLL LOCK!).

I am making changing default settings deliberately cryptic, as:
    • I find it OK-ish and disapprove change, and
    • You are guaranteed to rewrite EEPROM only 100 000 times. Please spread this resource to custom "1-6" settings.

5. I am looking at ways to allow to switch binding preset’s from keyboard (for Atari sticks and Master system pads). I am thinking:
    • Press Scroll Lock,
    • Press Shift + number (1-6 or 0),
    • Press Scroll Lock again.

Would it be fine? Shall it conflict with any of those KVM switches?

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 71 of 293, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Volo wrote on 2020-06-10, 17:30:
SITUATION REPORT […]
Show full quote

SITUATION REPORT

1. The PCB was approved by manufacturing engineer. I only need the plastic ports for final measuring and fitting.
  2. The ports meant for measurement were supposed to arrive not later than last week. The cargo jet must’ve stuck midflight and they were catching it with a butterfly net. The plane was finally caught in Germany and my parts are traveling the last 2000km stint by truck.
  3. I was bored. I finalized Typematic routines. Now the device accepts BIOS and OS settings for key press delay and repeat rate. Been playing “Typematic tug of war” with other keyboards. Timing seems spot-on!
  4. I am making a way to customize the DEAFULT key pre-set (one that device uses after shut-down). To change it you have to:
    • Press Scroll Lock,
    • Set keys,
    • Save default setting by holding ~ pressing Scroll Lock (that’s TILDA AND SCROLL LOCK!).

• You are guaranteed to rewrite EEPROM only 100 000 times. Please spread this resource to custom "1-6" settings.

5. I am looking at ways to allow to switch binding preset’s from keyboard (for Atari sticks and Master system pads). I am thinking:
    • Press Scroll Lock,

Thanks for the information, however I have a question: How does the ~ (tilde) key work on layouts other than US? in the LatinAmerican layout for instance, to type ~ you have to use a two-key combination (Alt-ñ). Does that work for the adapter?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-06-11, 19:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 73 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2020-06-10, 22:13:
Volo wrote on 2020-06-10, 17:30:
SITUATION REPORT […]
Show full quote

SITUATION REPORT

• Press Scroll Lock,
    • Set keys,

• Press Scroll Lock,

How does the ~ (tilde) key work on layouts other than US? in the Spanish layout for instance, to type ~ you have to use a two-key combination (Alt-ñ). Does that work for the adapter?

I meant the button left to the "1" key (Quake-console key).
It should have same key-code regardless of localization. Feel free to advice to change it, while it's not finalized.

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 75 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2020-06-11, 09:43:

Speaking of regions: does it work with US SNES pads? They seem to be differ from PAL/NTSC-J ones.

Now I am confused and scared. Mine is EU controller - it works. It means that my device compatible with all controllers... Possibly? Probably?

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 76 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bloody finally!
CXYYYGs.jpg

SNES pad size was guessed spot-on, but SEGA connector is HUGE!
Have to re-wire at least a third of PCB traces to fit this enormous thing.

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 78 of 293, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice!
How about using other key than scroll-lock? KVMs do use it to change inputs, better avoid it all together

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 79 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2020-06-13, 06:52:

Nice!
How about using other key than scroll-lock? KVMs do use it to change inputs, better avoid it all together

What key do you propose? I like Scroll Lock having a light. If light shines - gamepads don't work. To turn off the light - you turn off its button.
I need something as intuitive as that.

3hUGsDI.png