VOGONS

First post, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm evaluating an old system that my neighbor gave me. It has an AOpen s651m motherboard which has the SiS651 chipset. The system currently has Windows XP on it, but I think this system would be prefect for Windows 98 with a 2.0Ghz Willamette or Northwood based P4. However, I'm having trouble finding reliable information as to whether there are Win9x drivers for this chipset. I see where there are video drivers for the integrated graphics, but I wanted to make sure before I start reformatting.

Reply 1 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
viper32cm wrote on 2020-05-12, 23:39:

I'm evaluating an old system that my neighbor gave me. It has an AOpen s651m motherboard which has the SiS651 chipset. The system currently has Windows XP on it, but I think this system would be prefect for Windows 98 with a 2.0Ghz Willamette or Northwood based P4. However, I'm having trouble finding reliable information as to whether there are Win9x drivers for this chipset. I see where there are video drivers for the integrated graphics, but I wanted to make sure before I start reformatting.

Hi.

Is the current WinXP install of your own or did it come with it when you first got it?
In case of any doubt, it could be a good idea to use a different HDD for your 9x install, so you won't need to actually delete your existing XP install.

I'm not familiar with that particular chipset. Iirc the most recent SiS chipset I ever used was either a SiS530 (which is a ss7 chipset) or a sA SiS system that I build, but did not own (build it for someone else using parts that were not mine).

Given the age, one could assume that 98SE does not have the chipset video drivers internally, but you should still see an image. And if worst comes to worst, you could always add in a separate display adapter and either ignore or disable the onboard one.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 4, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are IGP and IDE drivers for this chipset for Windows 98 still on SIS site. http://w3.sis.com/download/
Try to install them and see what happens 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    ide_drivers.png
    File size
    10.45 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • univga.png
    Filename
    univga.png
    File size
    23.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA