VOGONS

First post, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys

I am having a bit of a strange problem here, and I'd like to know you opinions (and possible solutions) to it: I have an Intel D845GEBV2 motherboard. I'm using it with 512MB of RAM, a Pentium 4 CPU, 60GB HDD, etc. Everything seems to work OK. I installed Windows ME and Windows XP on the PC. The issue lies when i try to install the official Intel drivers for the USB2 controller. Under Windows ME, the machine will freeze as soon as it detects the USB controller. If I reset it, it will freeze again as soon as it's starting and it detects the USB2 controller, so that renders Windows ME unusable. It happens the same on Win98SE, so it's not my copy of ME, the CD, etc. The only way to allow the machine to boot again is to disable the USB2 capabilities on the BIOS, leaving only the USB1.1 functionality. However, under Windows XP, the USB2 driver installs and works fine without disabling anything. The BIOS is already updated to the latest P17 release from intel. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To my knowledge, anything older than XP never had proper support for USB 2.0. Maybe the drivers for those versions weren't tested properly?
I found these drivers on a website, not sure if they're the same you used.

Attachments

• Filename
    setup.exe
    File size
    1.15 MiB
    Downloads
    39 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP

Reply 2 of 6, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brian105 wrote on 2020-05-14, 03:24:

To my knowledge, anything older than XP never had proper support for USB 2.0. Maybe the drivers for those versions weren't tested properly?
I found these drivers on a website, not sure if they're the same you used.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, however the file you found is indeed the very same one I used:

[user@starscream temp]$ md5sum setup.exe 
86a73fb2195293d8d9f4b9e997c390cd setup.exe
[user@starscream temp]$ md5sum usb_win9x_setup.exe
86a73fb2195293d8d9f4b9e997c390cd usb_win9x_setup.exe
[user@starscream temp]$

Any other ideas are very welcome

Reply 3 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aha2940 wrote on 2020-05-14, 03:12:

Hi guys

I am having a bit of a strange problem here, and I'd like to know you opinions (and possible solutions) to it: I have an Intel D845GEBV2 motherboard. I'm using it with 512MB of RAM, a Pentium 4 CPU, 60GB HDD, etc. Everything seems to work OK. I installed Windows ME and Windows XP on the PC. The issue lies when i try to install the official Intel drivers for the USB2 controller. Under Windows ME, the machine will freeze as soon as it detects the USB controller. If I reset it, it will freeze again as soon as it's starting and it detects the USB2 controller, so that renders Windows ME unusable. It happens the same on Win98SE, so it's not my copy of ME, the CD, etc. The only way to allow the machine to boot again is to disable the USB2 capabilities on the BIOS, leaving only the USB1.1 functionality. However, under Windows XP, the USB2 driver installs and works fine without disabling anything. The BIOS is already updated to the latest P17 release from intel. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Maybe try this one from http://ftp.tekwind.co.jp/pub/asustw/misc/usb20/

What specific USB 2.0 driver did you try to install ?

Attachments

• Filename
    owich4usb2v1_03.zip
    File size
    1.12 MiB
    Downloads
    35 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 6, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-14, 04:03:
aha2940 wrote on 2020-05-14, 03:12:

Hi guys

Thanks!

Maybe try this one from http://ftp.tekwind.co.jp/pub/asustw/misc/usb20/

What specific USB 2.0 driver did you try to install ?

Hi, thanks for the file, I'll try it and report back. I tried to install the intel driver that appears on the net as corresponding to this board. The file is the same one uploaded two posts before yours, however I have no idea if it's really the right one, because even though these intel boards were kind of common, it seems nobody on earth has shared the original CD image anywhere.

Reply 6 of 6, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! just tested with the driver suggested by @darry, which is version 1.0.3 of Intel USB driver, but got the same result. The previous one I installed turns out is version 1.0.6 of the same Intel USB driver.