VOGONS

Hyper386sx 286 Upgrade CPU

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by scarpaz@scarpaz.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wallaby wrote on 2020-05-14, 09:49:

I have this Hypertec 386sx-16 upgrade cpu and I finally decided to try it in my IBM 5170. The problem is when I pulled out the 286 cpu (with much, much effort!) the pins on the upgrade board don't match the pins on the socket.

Hi wallaby, that upgrade board would work perfectly with my IBM PS/2 Model 30 286.
Would you be willing to sell it to me?

Reply 21 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wallaby wrote on 2020-05-16, 11:59:

Speaking of RAM, I have a AST Rampage board. It boosted conventional memory to 640k but I'm not sure how much expanded memory the board has because I haven't been able to boot to DOS. I think the Rampage board needs some kind of TSR to function.

The hard disk (type 2) won't boot and I have no disks. I tried the XT-IDE card but it still doesn't boot. I think this might be because it's using the earliest BIOS.

So in addition to this upgrade, I haven't been having much luck with anything else either. I've ordered some compatible BIOS roms to burn an alternative BIOS to hopefully sort at least the XT-IDE issue.

You may already know that, but XUB must be configured with a DOS tool before it works.
Just copying the ROM file to the chip isn't enough. Without a check sum added by the tool it won't show up during POST.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//