VOGONS

First post, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

as you have probably read from the subject, everytime I install my soundcard (Yamaha OPL3SAx), my hard drive controller stops working. It works for a bit and then when coping files, it freezes and gives me an error. When using scandisk it gives ma a "scandisk encountered a data error while writing to the fat of drive c:". Any hel would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 10, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What other hardware is in there, how is the condition of the power supply, what are the IRQ settings of the various bits in your system is the card tried in another system and so on.

Reply 3 of 10, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-05-16, 18:45:

What other hardware is in there, how is the condition of the power supply, what are the IRQ settings of the various bits in your system is the card tried in another system and so on.

The Sound card is from a working system, there is a 300W high quality refurbished Seasonic power supply, there is a Trident TVGA9000i, PTI-227W Controller Card, And the sound card. 2 Gb Seagate Medalist HDD, Mitsumi floppy drive. I do not know the IRQs of the various cards.

Reply 5 of 10, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-05-16, 18:52:

IRQ5 conflict?

Theat would mean that one of the serial ports wont work, or the parallel port, but not the IDE controller, as it has an IRQ of 14

Reply 6 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
therevisiona wrote on 2020-05-16, 18:55:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-05-16, 18:52:

IRQ5 conflict?

Theat would mean that one of the serial ports wont work, or the parallel port, but not the IDE controller, as it has an IRQ of 14

see above, 8-bit MFM cards used 5

Reply 7 of 10, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-05-16, 18:54:

well that's a surprise, I was expecting 8-bit MFM controller

Yeah, The hardware is a bit new for a 286 (Video card from 1994, Sound card from 1996, and controller from 1996) but it is the only ISA hardware i found for free in dumpsters. Nobody in my town has an old computer with ISA slots anymore. I think the last person is me.

Reply 8 of 10, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
therevisiona wrote on 2020-05-16, 18:25:

Hello,

as you have probably read from the subject, everytime I install my soundcard (Yamaha OPL3SAx), my hard drive controller stops working. It works for a bit and then when coping files, it freezes and gives me an error. When using scandisk it gives ma a "scandisk encountered a data error while writing to the fat of drive c:". Any hel would be appreciated.

Now, it gives me a "Fail on INT 24" error when trying to copy files.

Reply 9 of 10, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
therevisiona wrote on 2020-05-16, 18:25:

Hello,

So, it is finally solved. It was conflicting with the IRQ of the paralel port and caused the whole card to shut down and that is why I was not able to use the HDD. Thank you to everyone who helped me out.