VOGONS

Reply 20 of 46, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-17, 06:09:
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-05-17, 05:40:

What corruption would I get? I do not think I did my win 98se install correctly , it did install but now it asked me for win 98 se files after the 2nd or 3rd reboot because my vid driver.

I am sure I just installed it wrong and removed the cd when I was not supposed too?

Maybe someone can recommend a good win 98 se link?

The typical corruption scenario when using a disk size greater than what the BIOS supports occurs when writing data past the supported limit (8.4GB, for example) and having that DATA end up at the beginning of the drive, rendering the drive unbootable and its files inaccessible .

sounds like I am better off running a k6III + vs a p233mhz?

Reply 21 of 46, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-05-17, 05:55:

This IDE controller seems to work

https://www.amazon.com/2-Port-Controller-Sili … B000BU7XNG?th=1

however if I put a 1TB hard drive on this thing , can I partition it to multiple 64gb or 128gb partitions during the win98se setup? This would be a better route vs having to swap microsd cards...

That's a SIL3512 based card. That chipset has proper Windows 98 SE support and 48-bit LBA support . You would preferably want to flash it to the latest non RAID BIOS (files for that are readily available) .

If I were you, I would use the BHDD31.ZIP patch (just for the updated utilities, the updated ESDI506.PDR would ne be used by that card's drivers) . Oh, and do not create primary partitions or logical drivers bigger than 127GB to avoid another corruption scenario .

Reply 22 of 46, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-05-17, 06:17:
darry wrote on 2020-05-17, 06:09:
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-05-17, 05:40:

What corruption would I get? I do not think I did my win 98se install correctly , it did install but now it asked me for win 98 se files after the 2nd or 3rd reboot because my vid driver.

I am sure I just installed it wrong and removed the cd when I was not supposed too?

Maybe someone can recommend a good win 98 se link?

The typical corruption scenario when using a disk size greater than what the BIOS supports occurs when writing data past the supported limit (8.4GB, for example) and having that DATA end up at the beginning of the drive, rendering the drive unbootable and its files inaccessible .

sounds like I am better off running a k6III + vs a p233mhz?

That K6III+ motherboard's BIOS MIGHT support drives up to 127GB, but not beyond that.

Reply 23 of 46, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-05-17, 05:41:

That's a Gateway 4000285 board taken out of some Gateway desktop machine . I do not know who the OEM is for it . Unless somebody recognizes and can say who actually made it, finding information on it will not be easy .

Reply 24 of 46, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-17, 06:39:

That's a Gateway 4000285 board taken out of some Gateway desktop machine . I do not know who the OEM is for it . Unless somebody recognizes and can say who actually made it, finding information on it will not be easy .

This morning I did a reinstall of win98 and left the cd rom in to complete driver installations for a 128GB SD card and now works perfectly. I also put another sd card reader on my secondary IDE for 64gb and disconnected my cd rom . All seems perfectly fine, about to install a awe 64 gold .

Is there a way to partition a 256gb sd card using windows default software or do i need some sort of special win 98 program?

I think have 2 SD card readers is the best solution and having the secondary just for use for dos gamming by s waping sd cards out. I do not think I would need more than 500gb in win 98 to play 1989-1999 dos/windows games.

I guess when I started this project I though my 1tb WD black would have been the best solution . Unless someone knows a way to partition a WD hard drive to several 128gb partitions then seems like it is a no brainer to use 128GB for dos gaming

Reply 25 of 46, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just used a 256GB sd card and formated it on my windows 10 computer , did a partition split at 120gb and windows 98se sees it as two 120gb hard drives

not sure where the confusion is here what I asked . I am curious to know if the same principal can be used on a WD black 1TB drive and partition it to several drives 120gb to be used on win98se

I guess I will have to format it to Fat32 using rufus and make several partitions , then use a 8gb or something for win98se and just free up my mem cards.

Reply 27 of 46, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-05-16, 22:42:
So i have my p233 up and running and want to be able to get my hard drive to use the maximum size using my SATA to IDE converter […]
Show full quote

So i have my p233 up and running and want to be able to get my hard drive to use the maximum size using my SATA to IDE converter. I also have a IDE to SD card reader on the primary and secondary is the SATA to IDE converter using 1tb WD

Can someone answer these questions

1. I understand I am limited to the bios hard drive size? My bios recognizes 65gb for the 1gb , however my 64GB SD card is only recognizing at 8gb

2. Is there any way to use the maximum size of the 1tb by doing several 128gb partitions when at the install for win98se ?
3. I assume I can fix my 64gb SD card by reformating during windows install?

4. Ez2boot what is the highest this loader ontop of my bios can recognize for hdd space?

5. My mother board is a socket 7 gateway mobo with 2 usb ports , but wow the bios sucks if this can only recognize 65gb for win 98. Am i supposed to just make several images with different genre of games on different hard drives?

6. What mobo can I buy socket 7 p233mhz so I can at least recognize 128gb or more or maybe use a hacked bios to use a 1tb hard drive and partition it to 128gb?

7. am i missing something here when it comes to programs and new methods to create a win98 image to see my entire hdd size?

Thanks

Use Ontrack disk manager.
Download it here:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ontrack-disk-manager.html
Set drive to not installed in bios, or type 47 without any parameters.
Follow instructions and it should work (of course if your OS supports 1TB)

Reply 28 of 46, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-05-17, 16:38:
This morning I did a reinstall of win98 and left the cd rom in to complete driver installations for a 128GB SD card and now wor […]
Show full quote

This morning I did a reinstall of win98 and left the cd rom in to complete driver installations for a 128GB SD card and now works perfectly. I also put another sd card reader on my secondary IDE for 64gb and disconnected my cd rom . All seems perfectly fine, about to install a awe 64 gold .

Is there a way to partition a 256gb sd card using windows default software or do i need some sort of special win 98 program?

I think have 2 SD card readers is the best solution and having the secondary just for use for dos gamming by s waping sd cards out. I do not think I would need more than 500gb in win 98 to play 1989-1999 dos/windows games.

I guess when I started this project I though my 1tb WD black would have been the best solution . Unless someone knows a way to partition a WD hard drive to several 128gb partitions then seems like it is a no brainer to use 128GB for dos gaming

Without proper BIOS support and a patched Windows 9x IDE driver on a drive 256GB in size you will eventually have issues, even if it seems to work initially. Creating smaller partitions does not provide a viable workaround . I will leave you to experiment .
Have fun and good luck .

Reply 29 of 46, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-17, 17:43:
This morning I did a reinstall of win98 and left the cd rom in to complete driver installations for a 128GB SD card and now wor […]
Show full quote

Without proper BIOS support and a patched Windows 9x IDE driver on a drive 256GB in size you will eventually have issues, even if it seems to work initially. Creating smaller partitions does not provide a viable workaround . I will leave you to experiment .
Have fun and good luck .

Is it possible to create several partitions with a 1tb hard drive? Fat 32?

Reply 30 of 46, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-17, 17:43:
Show full quote

Have fun and good luck .

I think my bios is fine and working with a partitioned 256gb sd card. The key is to partition the drive before inserting it into the win 98se computer. Also with my OS on a 128gb and my main software on a seperate drive I do not see how corruption would occur within the OS. I am not configuring anything in the bios to set the size of the memory card.

Reply 31 of 46, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm surprised your bios sees it right the chipset supports 28bit lbs, it has no support for 48bit lba. 48bit LBA was part of the ATA-6 standard also known as ATA 100, this was a 2000 tech. There is zero way your mb supports 48bit lba, you need a separate controller with a bootable rom bios.

Reply 32 of 46, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote on 2020-05-18, 03:06:

I'm surprised your bios sees it right the chipset supports 28bit lbs, it has no support for 48bit lba. 48bit LBA was part of the ATA-6 standard also known as ATA 100, this was a 2000 tech. There is zero way your mb supports 48bit lba, you need a separate controller with a bootable rom bios.

does anyone listen here?

The bios is not going to read it properly, windows 98 does and my 256gb partitioned to 120 gb two drive letters. Works fine . i will be copying over software and will see if it works. So far no issues

Reply 33 of 46, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-05-18, 04:08:
candle_86 wrote on 2020-05-18, 03:06:

does anyone listen here?

The bios is not going to read it properly, windows 98 does and my 256gb partitioned to 120 gb two drive letters. Works fine . i will be copying over software and will see if it works. So far no issues

Before accusing others of not listening, consider using a mirror .

That said, for the last time.

a)Windows 9x ESDI506.PDR that is used for IDE controllers has bugs with drives greater than 127GB. Partitioning does not fix that even if it appears to work initially . A patch is needed to avoid issues .

b) Without proper BIOS support for drives greater than 127GB, issues will occur in plain DOS 7.1 as well , partioning will not alleviate that either .

This is well documented on Vogons , MSFN , MDGX , Rudolph Loew's program docs , etc

Feel free to ignore suggestions and advice based on facts and experience, but please refrain from accusations .

EDIT: I am done with this thread .

Reply 34 of 46, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok let me try then. @Unrealcpu, what bios version does your board have exactly? 4L3TT0X0.**A.00**.P**? Because I believe the last revision of that was well into 2000.

Reply 35 of 46, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-05-18, 06:11:

Ok let me try then. @Unrealcpu, what bios version does your board have exactly? 4L3TT0X0.**A.00**.P**? Because I believe the last revision of that was well into 2000.

i will check give me a few min

Reply 39 of 46, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
therevisiona wrote on 2020-05-17, 17:32:
Use Ontrack disk manager. Download it here: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ontrack-disk-manager.html Set drive to not installe […]
Show full quote

Use Ontrack disk manager.
Download it here:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ontrack-disk-manager.html
Set drive to not installed in bios, or type 47 without any parameters.
Follow instructions and it should work (of course if your OS supports 1TB)

I am in a similar situation, I have a 430TX board which limits the HDD size to 7.9GB in BIOS. The smallest HDD I had at hand was 20 GB, so I made a primary partition that used all the space the BIOS could "see", formatted it with FAT32, installed Win95C, works like a charm.
I never had to use a disk manager before (because I always had HDDs of the right size), so I am a bit hesitant to install it over an existing Windows installation. I took me quite some time to get everything up and running so I am not feeling like screwing it up, but it would certainly be a plus being able to use the whole disk.

So what would happen if I installed Ontrack disk manager over the existing Windows installation? Will it work?

My retro computers