VOGONS

Multiple Sound Cards

Topic actions

First post, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am setting up a P2 build to run Win98 and DOS, I have a SB Audigy and a SB16 (non plug and play). The Audigy is setup to work in 98 and the SB16 setup in DOS. That works exactly as I was wanting, the non plug and play card is ignored by Windows since I didn't setup drivers, same for the PCI card in DOS.

So I thought I would pass audio out from the SB16 to the Audigy as well as the CD audio from the SB16 to the Audigy's aux in. But not surprisingly I don't get audio to pass through when in DOS. (Windows works when I use diagnose to test the SB16, so proof of concept works).

Anyone else running a similar config? Guess adding an external mixer is the simplest solution, but what about CD audio, there a way to have both cards connected to the CD-ROM?

download/file.php?mode=view&id=83481

Attachments

Reply 2 of 21, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would set up SB16 in Windows and route Audigy via SB16 (not the other way around). But given that your SB16 is non-PnP, it might be a noisy one? Otherwise, there shouldn't be any big issues with that setup. Windows allows you to pick the main playback device, and you still won't see Audigy in DOS.

Regarding CD — I don't think you can route CD audio from an inactive card to an active one.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 21, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperSirLink wrote on 2020-05-18, 22:25:

Anyone else running a similar config?

I'm using an SB Live + ESS 1868 in a similar way. CD audio works under both DOS and Windows through SB Live's S/PDIF in. Under DOS only ESS 1868 is fully initialized. On the SB Live only the mixer part is activated by this tool:
Multichannel DOS mixer for DOS sound builds v0.49 for Live, v1.01 for Audigy

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 5 of 21, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2020-05-18, 23:24:
SuperSirLink wrote on 2020-05-18, 22:25:

Anyone else running a similar config?

I'm using an SB Live + ESS 1868 in a similar way. CD audio works under both DOS and Windows through SB Live's S/PDIF in. Under DOS only ESS 1868 is fully initialized. On the SB Live only the mixer part is activated by this tool:
Multichannel DOS mixer for DOS sound builds v0.49 for Live, v1.01 for Audigy

So you are taking CD audio from the ROM to both cards, one analog, one digital? Drive I am using doesn't have the digital output and I don't have one of those cables. But might be worth tracking down. Wonder how many windows games from the 9x era used CD audio? Your speakers I take it are connected to the Live, yes?

Reply 6 of 21, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperSirLink wrote on 2020-05-18, 23:29:

So you are taking CD audio from the ROM to both cards, one analog, one digital? Drive I am using doesn't have the digital output and I don't have one of those cables. But might be worth tracking down. Wonder how many windows games from the 9x era used CD audio? Your speakers I take it are connected to the Live, yes?

1. No, I have attached the audio out of CD/DVD only to SB Live. It works under both Windows and DOS. I'm using digital CD audio since it is less noisy but it would work the same way with analog CD audio. Outputting CD audio does not require fully initialized state from Creative PCI sound cards, you only have to enable the mixer part with the above linked tool.
2. Yes, only the SB Live is connected to speakers and the ESS 1868 Line-Out is connected to SB Live's Line-In.
3. Under Win9x both ESS 1868 and SB Live is installed but SB Live's SB16 Emulation is disabled in Device Manager. This way under Win98 the ESS 1868 gives full Sound Blaster support the same way as in DOS. I have a DreamBlaster X2 attached to ESS 1868's Waveblaster header so I do not need even the GM emulation of SB Live for DOS programs. So for DOS programs even in Win98 the ESS 1868 gives digital samples + hardware FM synyh + GM. And for Windows games the SB Live works as a default audio output providing EAX + Hardware based SF2 synth for MIDI. But of course I can also select the ESS MPU-401 MIDI Out port if I want to use the DreamBlaster X2 in Windows MIDI programs.

Reply 8 of 21, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Playing with that mixer for the Audigy and I haven't been able to run any switches after ek2m -b. That runs without error, but anything else just states hardware is not initialized...

Edit, think I figured it out. Once I specified -b and other switches in the same command string, that error went away.

figured out how to dump a config file and load it. Guessing I need to put this in my autoexec.bat

But despite that, I cant seam to get it working.

; ekm config, ver. 107
; ------------------------------------------------------------
-boot -d

; ac97
-as line
-ai line 100
aux 0
cd 100
tad 0
mic 0
beep 0

; mix matrix
; input afront dfront arear drear acenter dcenter spdif2
-io ac97 0 0 100 100 0 0 0
-io spdif0 0 0 100 100 0 0 0
-io spdif1 0 0 100 100 0 0 0
-io spdif2 0 0 100 100 0 0 0
-io i2s0 0 0 100 100 0 0 0
-io i2s1 0 0 100 100 0 0 0
-io i2s2 0 0 100 100 0 0 0
-io wave 0 0 100 100 0 0 0
-io synth 0 0 100 100 0 0 0

; output levels
; afront dfront arear drear acenter dcenter spdif2
-o 100 100 100 100 100 100 100

Reply 9 of 21, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperSirLink wrote on 2020-05-19, 03:08:
Playing with that mixer for the Audigy and I haven't been able to run any switches after ek2m -b. That runs without error, but […]
Show full quote

Playing with that mixer for the Audigy and I haven't been able to run any switches after ek2m -b. That runs without error, but anything else just states hardware is not initialized...

Edit, think I figured it out. Once I specified -b and other switches in the same command string, that error went away.

figured out how to dump a config file and load it. Guessing I need to put this in my autoexec.bat

But despite that, I cant seam to get it working.

Since I do not have an Audigy to test with I cannot help you directly but I think with this setting you only get output in your Rear speakers. So instead of Front Out connect your speaker s to Rear Out and make sure you have connected your ISA soundcard's output to Line-in. Then play some test tunes under DOS on your ISA soundcard.

If you still have problems ask Parus in the other thread.

Reply 10 of 21, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not the most elegant solution but I run audio extension cables from the sound card to the front of the PC.
Fair bit cheaper then a mixer not to mention I've got 12 PC's most with 2 sound cards sharing same set of speakers.

Reply 11 of 21, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-05-19, 09:20:

Not the most elegant solution but I run audio extension cables from the sound card to the front of the PC.
Fair bit cheaper then a mixer not to mention I've got 12 PC's most with 2 sound cards sharing same set of speakers.

Thanks will do, still exploring around with it trying to figure out how those inputs and outputs match up to the card.

Reply 12 of 21, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SuperSirLink wrote on 2020-05-19, 13:37:

Thanks will do, still exploring around with it trying to figure out how those inputs and outputs match up to the card.

Not sure I follow, what do you have at the front of the pc? You just manually moving the output for each PC to the speakers?

Reply 13 of 21, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So will the win98 repesct the jumper settings on non pnp card?

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 14 of 21, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MKT_Gundam wrote on 2020-05-19, 15:11:

So will the win98 repesct the jumper settings on non pnp card?

didn't look like it when I pulled my in. I have my card set to IRQ 7, but Windows gave it IRQ 5. I also discovered media player played through the SB16 regardless of Windows being set to only play from the preferred device which was set to the Audigy. So I removed the SB16 from Windows again and now playing with setting up the mixer in DOS for the Audigy.

Reply 15 of 21, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SuperSirLink wrote on 2020-05-19, 13:39:
SuperSirLink wrote on 2020-05-19, 13:37:

Not sure I follow, what do you have at the front of the pc? You just manually moving the output for each PC to the speakers?

Sorry didn't see this before
I just run a cable like this from each PC's sound card to somewhere convenient (in my case below the screen)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-F … o/dp/B01CNAUYBY
An manually plug the speakers/headphones into whichever PC I'm using that day.

Reply 16 of 21, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No worries!

I think I came up with a solution... Just waiting on parts to arrive...
A mixer board, will solder on a 12v molex connector and put it behind one of the 5.25" bay covers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stereo-Audio-Signal- … 872.m2749.l2649

Panel mount 3.5mm cables to go from the mixer board to a expansion slot bracket:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5ft-3-5mm-Mini-Ste … 872.m2749.l2649

Finally some patch cables to connect to the sound cards:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-Short-Right-Ang … 872.m2749.l2649

Reply 17 of 21, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SuperSirLink wrote on 2020-05-29, 13:14:
No worries! […]
Show full quote

No worries!

I think I came up with a solution... Just waiting on parts to arrive...
A mixer board, will solder on a 12v molex connector and put it behind one of the 5.25" bay covers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stereo-Audio-Signal- … 872.m2749.l2649

Panel mount 3.5mm cables to go from the mixer board to a expansion slot bracket:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5ft-3-5mm-Mini-Ste … 872.m2749.l2649

Finally some patch cables to connect to the sound cards:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-Short-Right-Ang … 872.m2749.l2649

Looks good to me! its basically the same as my setup just much more tidy.
In fact I may even pinch your idea if I ever get a more permanent setup!

Reply 19 of 21, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got the mixer board, changed the power connector to a molex, and just attached it to the face of one of the 5.25" blanking panels... Some short patch cables to connect each sound card to the I/O panel mounts, and you have a nice clean self-contained setup... Tested it out and it works great! I was even able to disable the internal amplifier of the SB16 and take advantage of the mixer's amp...

Attachments