VOGONS

First post, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How is the performance of Windows 2000 on a Pentium Pro system with a single CPU? I want to install a NT-based OS on my Gateway G6-200 (P-Pro 200Mhz, upgraded to 128MB of RAM) but I wonder if that just might not be enough CPU to run 2000 well, even with 128MB of RAM to help out. I usually install 2000 on like...Pentium IIIs and early P4s that run at near or over 1GHz and it runs great on those but I don't know about running 2000 on a much slower CPU.

Reply 4 of 13, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran 2k on a P2-266 with 192MB for the longest time, and it was fine, even with SP4 bolted on.
However RAM upgrades are so easy you may as well bump it up to 256MB or more. The CPU's fine.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 6 of 13, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-05-19, 01:39:

2k will run ok on it but you *really* need at least 256MB RAM

Yeah, I was planning to go up to 256MB already so I might as well do that. But even with 256MB I feel like the CPU speed might be a liability.

I'd rather avoid NT4 because everyone I know who's used it tells me getting it configured and getting drivers for all your hardware is a bit of a nightmare.

Reply 7 of 13, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-05-19, 02:09:

Yeah, I was planning to go up to 256MB already so I might as well do that. But even with 256MB I feel like the CPU speed might be a liability.

I'd rather avoid NT4 because everyone I know who's used it tells me getting it configured and getting drivers for all your hardware is a bit of a nightmare.

nothing wrong with NT4, but I think you're making the right choice with 2k

with the requisite RAM it really runs well even with slow CPUs, I doubt NT4 would be faster enough to matter

Reply 8 of 13, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

NT 4.0 is cool, however it may be a bit different than the other Windows for installing hardware because it has no device manager, so configuring the drivers is different than Win 95-ME or Win 2000 onward. Also, no USB or PnP support on NT 4.0, however that may be part of the charm for some people. What usage would you give to this machine? that may answer if you can/want to use NT 4.0 on it or not.

Reply 9 of 13, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've ran Windows 2000 on a 486-based PC (with a Cyrix 5x86 CPU @ 133MHz) with just 64MB RAM. It wasn't a great experience, but it worked. So a PPro should work fine.

Like others have said, adding more RAM is best. I have it still installed on 1 PC in my collection, which only has 192MB RAM and even that is a bit sluggish.

Reply 10 of 13, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aha2940 wrote on 2020-05-19, 04:06:

NT 4.0 is cool, however it may be a bit different than the other Windows for installing hardware because it has no device manager, so configuring the drivers is different than Win 95-ME or Win 2000 onward. Also, no USB or PnP support on NT 4.0, however that may be part of the charm for some people. What usage would you give to this machine? that may answer if you can/want to use NT 4.0 on it or not.

I don't actually know yet, I just know I want to get Windows 95 off and a NT-based OS that takes better advantage of the CPU put on.

Reply 11 of 13, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have Windows XP SP3 on my 256MB PentiumPro system and it functions OK. I have also have NT4 SP6 on several systems and don't recall any issues finding drivers, the main issue with NT4 is no inbuilt USB support.

It's pretty easy to setup a multi-boot system with all of NT4 + W2K + WXP and the partition setup I typically use is as below.

file.php?id=83501
file.php?id=83502

Attachments

• RDO.png
    Filename
    RDO.png
    File size
    29.5 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    NT4 + W2K + WXP partition setup
    File license
    Public domain
  • RPP.png
    Filename
    RPP.png
    File size
    58.61 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    PentiumPro + Windows XP SP3
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 12 of 13, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On a 300 MHz Pentium II with 128 MB RAM, Windows 2000 runs ok. I have it installed on a TECRA 8000. More RAM doesn't hurt, but it depends on the software you want to use. Also, you can disable many services you don't need to save RAM.

The PPro-200 itself is certainly fast enough.

Reply 13 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love dual systems, so much so that any new PC's I get have to at least have 2 sockets but will admit they don't really offer any performance benefit. so don't worry about just having the 1 CPU.
I guess you can say expect similar performance as running XP on a P3. Basic tasks and just messing round with the OS will be fine. but anything serious like gaming will be held back.

If you are just playing around with the OS itself and already have Win2k on another box I'd also say give NT4 a try. If you can get dos/win3x up and running you can get NT4 going as well