VOGONS

First post, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys , i have an old LCD monitor that is 19inch made by LG
the monitor has no buttons besides the power button, the brightness and other settings like brightness and contrast is done with windows xp using a program called forte manager.

when i boot the pc to use it under DOS, some words get cut.

like command prompt for example instead of c:\ looks like :\

is it possible to fix this under DOS?

Reply 1 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is strange, isn't there any "auto" button on your monitor or any button that you can hold to start that function ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very odd indeed ! What exact model LG is it ? Even my oldest near 20 year old LCD has more than a power button.
added: just played around with one old motherboard and old LCD and found the Video card makes a difference. With Trio64+ DOS was fine, with a Trident was missing a bit on the left like you said. Did not try other PCI vid cards like a Cirrus but am guessing that some Vid cards have a different syncing with the horizontal scan that the LCD seems to shift left. Just a guess but was able to some what duplicate. Now that I think about it: have a old ISA vid card that does that too but most do not on my test monitor. Can you try a different video card ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-05-20, 00:48:

Very odd indeed ! What exact model LG is it ? Even my oldest near 20 year old LCD has more than a power button.

Hopefully, this was just a rather brain-dead phase among some manufacturers a few years back .

I can picture a hypothetical the support call .

Customer : The screen is too dim, I can't really see anything .
Support : Adjust the brightness using the ForteManager application .
Customer : I would, but I can't see the screen well enough .
Support : (Bangs head against desk).

Reply 6 of 9, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the monitor is this one

LG 19 Flatron L1900R

such a great monitor, the quality of the lcd is very nice,
but they did it with only 1 button, power, and everything else is done via a windowsXP software called forte manager.

D_NQ_NP_904374-MLA40210156291_122019-V.jpg

monitor-lg-flatron-l1900r-fantasy-lcd-19-salida-dvi-vga-D_NQ_NP_711469-MLA25888370333_082017-F.jpg

Reply 7 of 9, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you know if it can display DOS correctly? My ASUS screen cuts off the left edge of the prompt too (although the manual claims to support DOS modes) and I'm sure I've seen a PhilsComputerLab video showing the same problem with whatever screen he was using.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 8 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

720x400 70Hz is supported according to manual . That said, I cannot imagine how you can use an application like Fortemanager to adjust fullscreen DOS mode when you cannot see the Fortemanager application in DOS fullscreen mode.

The only potential workaround that I can imagine, is generating a custom windows display mode that matches DOS 720x400/640x400 70Hz timings and adjusting ForteManager to that .

The monitor might have nice display characteristics and having the option to control the monitor using an application is great, but having no physical monitor controls is a move so idiotic that it leads me to question the LG employed decision maker's fitness to hold whatever position he or she may have had . This my opinion .

That said, the fact that this did not catch on is a pretty valid indicator of this concept's stupidity, again, in my opinion .

I hope you can find a workaround or, if not, another monitor .

Attachments

• Filename
    l1900r.PDF
    File size
    510.76 KiB
    Downloads
    34 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 9, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-20, 01:28:
Hopefully, this was just a rather brain-dead phase among some manufacturers a few years back . […]
Show full quote

Hopefully, this was just a rather brain-dead phase among some manufacturers a few years back .

I can picture a hypothetical the support call .

Customer : The screen is too dim, I can't really see anything .
Support : Adjust the brightness using the ForteManager application .
Customer : I would, but I can't see the screen well enough .
Support : (Bangs head against desk).

🤣, hilarious.

It otherwise seems like a nice monitor. I wonder what the response times are.