VOGONS

First post, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

So I got the Slot 1 CPU and Slot 1 Motherboard today.

Powered it up and CPU and PSU fan spin, Case Fan attached to the Motherboard does not. No video out.

Tried clearing CMOS, Tried a different video card, also tried everything disconnected but video card. And did try some different memory to but all i had was some 66mhz stuff, but again same results overall.

Any suggestions ?

Reply 5 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Chaintech 6BTM motherboard here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254594779337
Intel PII 350MHZ here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324006550148

PSU,Video and Memory used yesterday on a Socket 7 system, booting fine.

Reply 8 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-05-22, 14:05:

Get a Diagnostic Tester POST Card and check how far things get

Cant really wait on getting something like that from China due to any returns/refunds needed for ether the CPU or Mobo, normal China post takes a month at the best of times and these are not the best of times.

Reply 12 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-05-22, 14:59:

replaced the CMOS battery?

I see it came with one, you can be sure that is dead or dying (low voltage in-circuit) and can cause symptoms like this.

Replaced it with a known good one from another motherboard(i.e it was keeping settings with no AC fine) and still nothing.

Reply 13 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-05-22, 15:20:

Another idea: Try changing JP8 (Power Failure Recovery) to 2-3 and try turning the PC on using the PSU switch.

This did not work ether, also I double checked the PC100 RAM in a Socket 7 system and it is fine.

So pretty much the only thing I have not tried is another CPU because I simply do not have another Slot 1 CPU here.

Reply 15 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-22, 15:45:

cmos battery and jumper?

Tried a different CMOS battery, checked all jumpers are correct.

I have I think done everything I can do and no luck, so given what I have said would my prime suspect be indeed the CPU ?

Reply 17 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-22, 16:21:

removed the CPU and see if you get any beeps. My money is on a bad board however.

i dont have a PC speaker also the board was tested before shipping and the CPU was not so I am not sure.